GDT: #58: Red Wings 5 at FLYERS 6 (OT), Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Of course, you realize the "inferior" players were Provorov and Sanheim, who were dreadful.
MacDonald had a great game, even though he kept blowing scoring chances with bad passes.

SCF/SCA, HDCF/HDCA
Provorov 3/16 3/3
Sanheim 3/13 2/3
Ghost 13/3 3/1
MacDonald 16/2 5/1
Gudas 9/7 3/3
Hagg 10/9 4/3

Some of this reflects matching Provorov/Sanheim against the Larkin line as much as possible.
Some of this was just bad play, and in the long-run, I don't think Provorov-Sanheim is a good pairing.

MacDonald simply isn't the bad defensemen so many try to make him out to be, an experienced veteran who suppresses scoring (over a long period, so it's not a fluke). Not a top 4 on a good team, but not the liability he's advertised to be now that he's 100%.
Might be the first decent game for Hagg/Gudas, but that also reflects how shallow the Red Wings are these days.

MacDonald being good for a small sample doesn't erase years of absolutely terrible play. MacDonald is absolutely a bad dman.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
it proves we cant go into next year with this coach, it's hak 2.0 all over again, i just hope this fo does clean house with coaches because if we come up empty in fa, we need a great coach, not another inexperienced or a bad rep coach, it will doom these prospects, they are having problems right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Have you looked at the players Trotz give big minutes to in New York? Like Filppula (14:14) and Komarov (12:18).
He's just being carried by Barzal and his goalies. :sarcasm:
Y'all would be screaming at him the same way you yell about Hakstol even after the team got 98 points and into the playoffs, and how you all are jumping on Gordon.
If the HC doesn't play my favorite player, he sucks!

Reactions: Johnk0728

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Senses the board starting to turn on Gordon...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Stizzle

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Have you looked at the players Trotz give big minutes to in New York? Like Filppula (14:14) and Komarov (12:18).
He's just being carried by Barzal and his goalies. :sarcasm:
Y'all would be screaming at him the same way you yell about Hakstol even after the team got 98 points and into the playoffs, and how you all are jumping on Gordon.
If the HC doesn't play my favorite player, he sucks!

Weird how you forgot to mention that Trotz runs an effective system and is very good at game planning. Those things matter too.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Weird how you forgot to mention that Trotz runs an effective system and is very good at game planning. Those things matter too.
Have to agree with deadhead here. If this was an islander board it would be going nuts that ho-sang was in the minors and filpula the pet was getting this amount of ice time. Are you trying to say you would be fine with that much time for filpula here if trotz and his system was in philly?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
By my unofficial numbers, that is the 9th time the Flyers have blown a 4-goal lead in franchise history. Their record (W-L-T) is 6-0-3. The most recent similarity was the 6-5 OT win vs. Pittsburgh with Mike Rathe scoring.

EDIT: The NHL has six of these nine games listed per their PR department's release from earlier tonight. We shall see what is verified.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That was "interesting."

Loved the TK wrap-around for the winner, and enjoyed watching Patrick, and Ghost.

AMac played a good game. There, I said it!

But jeez, why don't we challenge the points when we're down a skater? Seems like the better teams do. Mike Green had 15-20 feet of free ice and loads of time to set up Mantha's tying deflection.

Speaking of Mantha, he should have been sitting after the cheap head shot against G with under five minutes to go. The refs were just horrible.

Provy had a really rough game. I guess it was bound to happen with the extended minutes and tougher match-ups, but the mistakes with the puck have been tough to watch sometimes.

Ok now take it back.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think the board has ever not been turned on Gordon. He's a placeholder and I think everyone views him as such.
Yeah, we're winning games, so he's doing a good job as far as I'm concerned. But I don't expect him to be our coach long term.

Hextall's gone. If there's a better coach available, Fletcher will try to get him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Have to agree with deadhead here. If this was an islander board it would be going nuts that ho-sang was in the minors and filpula the pet was getting this amount of ice time. Are you trying to say you would be fine with that much time for filpula here if trotz and his system was in philly?

I'm trying to say there's more to judging a coach than icetimes alone.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Ok now take it back.

Eh, I'm not going to completely kill A-Mac on that rush. He played it badly, but he was put in a shitty position by all of the forwards getting caught deep after Varone made a bad play on the puck in the offensive zone as I recall. So he's trying to cover both the pass and the shooter and botches it, but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not a good NHL coach, but a huge upgrade on Hakstol.

If Gordon gets a 7/10 for his lineups and ice times, Hak would be down around 2.

If he's a huge upgrade, how come the team's advanced metrics with the same players are WORSE under Gordon?
The only difference is the goalies are much better, and that is completely due to being forced to play Hart because of injuries.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Eh, I'm not going to completely kill A-Mac on that rush. He played it badly, but he was put in a ****ty position by all of the forwards getting caught deep after Varone made a bad play on the puck in the offensive zone as I recall. So he's trying to cover both the pass and the shooter and botches it, but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.

I'm not even sure he played it wrong, he took the guy going to the net and tried to give the goalie a clear view of the shooter, we don't know if Hart has told his defensemen he prefers they avoid blocking his vision by trying to block shots in that instance. Nor did he have a clear path to the shooter, if he tries to intercept him, both players might end up with a clear path to the goal.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If he's a huge upgrade, how come the team's advanced metrics with the same players are WORSE under Gordon?
The only difference is the goalies are much better, and that is completely due to being forced to play Hart because of injuries.

Special teams are better. PP2 actually scores now. The PK is finally pressuring the puck carrier on the other team. Player usage is generally miles better and if you can't see that then you're just being contrarian. And Gordon still sucks, so there's that.

I'm not even sure he played it wrong, he took the guy going to the net and tried to give the goalie a clear view of the shooter, we don't know if Hart has told his defensemen he prefers they avoid blocking his vision by trying to block shots in that instance. Nor did he have a clear path to the shooter, if he tries to intercept him, both players might end up with a clear path to the goal.

He played it wrong. He's indecisive during the whole rush and tries to kind of take the pass away but cheat towards the shooter a bit as well, but then Jensen smartly cuts in and takes the lane from MacDonald, effectively taking him out of the play. A better play would have been to pressure Vanek as he's hitting the blueline to force him to make a good pass.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Because 5v5 isn't the only situation that counts in hockey.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The reason Andy is terrible is because he is always only a heartbeat away from a catastrophe. That's all you need to know, and we all know it. He could play lights out for 99% of the game (he never does, but just for argument's sake), and then starfish or cruise in Grand Canyon Gap Reverse Mode, as he did last game, and **** up everything. He sucks at any price. Case closed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad