GDT: #56 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Monday, May 10, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | NBCSP, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Accurate. Hakstol would have won a half dozen more games each year with competent goaltending. Vigneault would have lost ten more games last year with incompetent goaltending.

The only conclusion that can be drawn about this team from this season is this: they’re just not good enough to compensate for poor goaltending.

No team is. No HC can.

You can compensate for mediocre goaltending, Hak did in 2017-18, Q is doing so this season, AV did last year in the regular season (the slow start was bad goaltending, the hot finish was good goaltending).

But putrid goaltending like this season? Run up the white flag.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Just a last thought, which well - has been stated before.

With as many blowouts as we have seen this year, as bad as the special teams have been for more than just this season. With as much team wide regression especially the youngsters.

I don’t care if it’s Moses leading the team behind the bench. Have some organizational pride and move on. It’s embarrassing to stick with the same guys behind the bench. Montreal, Calgary, Columbus, and Arizona have moved on. Not too long ago Vegas, Washington, and Toronto made changes.

I don’t buy it’s money related for a team financed by Comcast. This is Alain putting blame on his players and absolving himself. Fletcher and Scott are just going along with it. After a season like this, it’s irrelevant how good a job AV might have done behind closed doors. You make a change.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Not what I want to see but what I think will happen. AV and his complete coaching staff are back next season. Some young players such as Sanheim, Myers, Ghost and TK get moved out for veteran replacements. Things fall part by January 1 and the Flyers are in worse situation than they are now. Fletcher, AV and his staff get canned by the AS break. Another season gets dribbled down the drain.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Not what I want to see but what I think will happen. AV and his complete coaching staff are back next season. Some young players such as Sanheim, Myers, Ghost and TK get moved out for veteran replacements. Things fall part by January 1 and the Flyers are in worse situation than they are now. Fletcher, AV and his staff get canned by the AS break. Another season gets dribbled down the drain.

how can anything be any worse than it is now lol....if sanheim/myers/tk are moved for vets I'm done.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Just a last thought, which well - has been stated before.

With as many blowouts as we have seen this year, as bad as the special teams have been for more than just this season. With as much team wide regression especially the youngsters.

I don’t care if it’s Moses leading the team behind the bench. Have some organizational pride and move on. It’s embarrassing to stick with the same guys behind the bench. Montreal, Calgary, Columbus, and Arizona have moved on. Not too long ago Vegas, Washington, and Toronto made changes.

I don’t buy it’s money related for a team financed by Comcast. This is Alain putting blame on his players and absolving himself. Fletcher and Scott are just going along with it. After a season like this, it’s irrelevant how good a job AV might have done behind closed doors. You make a change.
amen

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
To go along, goaltending is an issue. Let’s say that it was better this season.

Does this team have what it takes to rise amongst the top clubs of the league? Or are we looking at a playoff similar to last season - where the systemic flaws are again massively exploited, but Hart manages to keep them in the games.

They got past Montreal because Hart carried them, and nothing more. That series was domination on ice with the team holding on and praying a transition chance gets them a goal or two.

The bar just needs to be set so much higher. Better goaltending maybe even gets them to the dance this year, but the notion that being a club that’s somehow successful by just making the playoffs... That organizational belief needs to change.

A huge flaw, is trying to force a squad of not really great skaters when compared to the last of the league to constantly give the puck away, and be too slow to retrieve it. The defensive schemes of low percentage transitions, or forcing everything to the wall when moving up ice needs to be addressed, but they struggle so much as a club because they give the puck away far too willingly in the offensive zone.

There is a lot more here preventing a rise to the top than goaltending.

Yes, you’re right. I think that sub par goaltending can suck the life out of a team all over the ice. But it does appear to me that their level of talent exceeds what they achieved, and that’s more than just one position.

Good point about Montreal last Spring.

Reactions: flyerslducks

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
No team is. No HC can.

You can compensate for mediocre goaltending, Hak did in 2017-18, Q is doing so this season, AV did last year in the regular season (the slow start was bad goaltending, the hot finish was good goaltending).

But putrid goaltending like this season? Run up the white flag.
I hate to see the players running up the white flag, but it seems pretty clear that they have been, almost from the get-go.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm trying to mentally prepare myself that no chance in hell exists they give the Ashbee award to Sanheim tonight. Can the Flyers please give me this one crumb of happiness for putting up with this 2005 coaching staff and corporate, boomer, dunce front office?

Also, it would be nice if they gave the last game to Sandstrom. The kid has been through a lot of injuries and turmoil. He's been playing well lately. Giving the kid something to feel good about, and build on, seems like what a normal organization would do.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I'm trying to mentally prepare myself that no chance in hell exists they give the Ashbee award to Sanheim tonight. Can the Flyers please give me this one crumb of happiness for putting up with this 2005 coaching staff and corporate, boomer, dunce front office?

Also, it would be nice if they gave the last game to Sandstrom. The kid has been through a lot of injuries and turmoil. He's been playing well lately. Giving the kid something to feel good about, and build on, seems like what a normal organization would do.
i could literally care less who gets it. Literally, every defender has been awful at some point of the season in my eyes.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
To go along, goaltending is an issue. Let’s say that it was better this season.

Does this team have what it takes to rise amongst the top clubs of the league? Or are we looking at a playoff similar to last season - where the systemic flaws are again massively exploited, but Hart manages to keep them in the games.

They got past Montreal because Hart carried them, and nothing more. That series was domination on ice with the team holding on and praying a transition chance gets them a goal or two.

The bar just needs to be set so much higher. Better goaltending maybe even gets them to the dance this year, but the notion that being a club that’s somehow successful by just making the playoffs... That organizational belief needs to change.

A huge flaw, is trying to force a squad of not really great skaters when compared to the last of the league to constantly give the puck away, and be too slow to retrieve it. The defensive schemes of low percentage transitions, or forcing everything to the wall when moving up ice needs to be addressed, but they struggle so much as a club because they give the puck away far too willingly in the offensive zone.

There is a lot more here preventing a rise to the top than goaltending.
amen X2 (no testify)

for those saying that a better goalie gets us in....maybe it does but it would just be in and out real quick. Totally agree that the bar needs to be set high.

Reactions: marcsson68

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

"I'm sorry, Stiz, I'm afraid I can't do that."

ForkedDamagedAzurevasesponge-size_restricted.gif

"No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake, or distorted information, such as Travo Sanhero being -21. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. Congratulate your 2020-2021 Barry Ashbee winner, Ivan Provorov."

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
"Congratulate your 2020-2021 Barry Ashbee winner, Ivan Provorov."

with their goals against no Dman should get the Ashbee this year .....and I'm blaming the forwards too

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
So....1 game to go.....and both Provy and Jake still don't have a PP goal this year.

They had 11 combined last year.

Side note....Giroux has one.....had 7 last year.

So those 3 combine for 1 PPG compared to 18 last year.....and Giroux was on the "proper" side most of this year.

Draisaitl has more PP goals than Jake, Provy, Giroux, Patrick, Hayes, Farabee, Couts....combined.

Fire MT.
You know, I really wonder if management ever thinks like this, or even knows about it.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He has 9 PP goals this year. That's top 10 in the league. His career high is 11.

Our PP hasn't been great, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect more PP production from JVR.

he had 7 in his first 18 games or something good enough for #1. Then he went 24 games without a PPG and has 2 since March 2. So that’s 2 in 37 games. He has been part of the problem for most of the year

Reactions: Tripod

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Of course they give the last game to Elliott. Probably some weird farewell, respect thing because no team in hell will give him a contract next year.

"You literally had one of the very, very worst statistical years for a goalie, and helped to sink our season. To celebrate, here is the last game instead of trying to build up a young player. I really don't give a f*** anyway. I got that sweet Comcast dough." - AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad