GDT: #56 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Monday, May 10, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | NBCSP, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The last thing they should do is "blow up" this team, how often does that actually work?

They do need to fix the goalies, Hart last year was the biggest reason for the jump from 2018-19, and he'll be again next year (cross fingers). But they need to upgrade Elliott while the kids mature (Ustimenko, Sandstrom, Ersson, Fedotov). Unfortunately, like Stolarz, Lyon couldn't stay healthy enough to develop into a solid #2.

After that? See what happens with the ED and tweak the roster, building around the kids.

Make a veteran trade to improve the fit of the top 9/top 4, but forget the blockbuster trade - unless it falls into your lap, they're difficult to engineer and often blowup in your face - because outside of a handful of players there are no saviors out there (if they were, they wouldn't be available). Just good players like your good players - so if you make that kind of move, it should be for fit, not for dramatics.

Even the best players can't turn a team around, Panarin didn't make the Rangers a winner, even with Fox, Trouba, Zibanejad, Strome, Buchnevich, Kreider and drafting Lafrenier #1 and Kakko #2.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The goalies have been putrid, not below average, not bad, but absolutely putrid.
Sure, there have been other issues this season, but give this team average goalies and they're in the playoffs, just like last season, just like 2017-18.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Subban at $4.5m is sure to have contenders drooling all across the league, and with NJ being a premier destination for free agents, they’re strong contenders to win the summer championship again even without Shero there to make all the right moves.

my point wasn't that subban is going to a contender..more so that its easy to move his contract next year if they want to get something in return/that is the only bad contract they have so far. As for fa....they might not be an attractive spot now, but once those youngins come up they can throw a lot of money at big name guys later if they want to...again a luxury we don't have cus we throw money at guys like jvr

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Yeah, overpay a couple guys then have to let a top RFA go, where have we seen that (Toronto).

Voracek has 3 years, JVR 2 years, and odds are they don't finish those contracts here.
Hayes can be traded after 2021-22, and my suspicion is will be a better wing than center at that point.
So the only other deals are Couts (big raise) and G (salary cut on a 3 year extension at 34 years old).

If Laughton's $3M a year (bargain for 3rd liner who also is a top PK guy) causes cap issues, we got other problems.

this is highly doubtful. What makes you think they won't finish up here? Maybe in their last year of the deal we can move them but they are probably gunna stay here for the majority of the contract. Hard to move 7million+ guys with term.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
There is a man nurse I work with, that always leaves a small cup with hand lotion on his work station after his shift.

It disturbs me. Every time.

C4059C11-3980-454D-9907-5FDDF9613878.jpeg

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
my point wasn't that subban is going to a contender..more so that its easy to move his contract next year if they want to get something in return/that is the only bad contract they have so far. As for fa....they might not be an attractive spot now, but once those youngins come up they can throw a lot of money at big name guys later if they want to...again a luxury we don't have cus we throw money at guys like jvr

Jvr is not ideal. But he is at least good at something worthy. Goalscoring. If we would have another PP coach he would be a 30 goal scorer for us. Should be ok.

Hayes on the other side
Laughton on the same side.

10 millions for things player with half the salary can do.

Thats our problem when it comes to contracts. In my eyes

Reactions: BiggE and ybnvs

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Jvr is not ideal. But he is at least good at something worthy. Goalscoring. If we would have another PP coach he would be a 30 goal scorer for us. Should be ok.

Hayes on the other side
Laughton on the same side.

10 millions for things player with half the salary can do.

Thats our problem when it comes to contracts. In my eyes
Well, fun fact: JVR and Hayes have the same amount of goals since Hayes signed here. And Hayes has more goals at even strength.

And Laughton has almost as many ES goals since then (21) as JVR (22).

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I’m not sure what’s funnier. That he simply MUST respond to every 10 follower account whose cat runs across a keyboard......or the response.

“Work miracles with a flawed roster.” Besides goalies, you’d think this roster is the Red Wings. It’s crazy to me, but perhaps a coach can be evaluated on his own doings too. Especially one touted as among the greatest in the game and earning 5 big ones.

#beaf***ingflyer
#yourethepiecewearemissing
#doomed

YOU DO NOT GET NOMINATED FOR THE JACK ADAMS YOU ABSOLUTE TOSSER

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Well, fun fact: JVR and Hayes have the same amount of goals since Hayes signed here. And Hayes has more goals at even strength.

And Laughton has almost as many ES goals since then (21) as JVR (22).

As i said: IF WE WOULD HAVE A BETTER PP COACH!

JVR is one of the best netfront players in the whole league for the last 10 years. He needs a good PP to perform the best.

Context matters

Reactions: BiggE

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It would be typical of the organization to sit him in his farewell game, just like they did the game after he won that award. That was Hakstok, but ...

PbNEUTi.gif

"This is a meaningless game."

Also
- Plays top line of vets the most of any line, particularly over the last 6 minutes when they are down a goal
- Plays Provorov 27+ minutes

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
As i said: IF WE WOULD HAVE A BETTER PP COACH!

JVR is one of the best netfront players in the whole league for the last 10 years. He needs a good PP to perform the best.

Context matters
He has 9 PP goals this year. That's top 10 in the league. His career high is 11.

Our PP hasn't been great, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect more PP production from JVR.

Reactions: tucson83

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I hate to put it like this, but if the Devils win in regulation and Chicago beats Dallas, we are in a much better draft position. If we win and Chicago beats Dallas we are in a much worse draft position. If the Flyers win, hope for at least a loser point for Dallas. Do we want to be in 1st round draft position 15, 14, or 13 pre lottery (accounting for Arizona's forfeited first round pick)?

I really can't help myself. I hate to watch the Flyers lose, even if it is better for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad