GDT: #56 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Monday, May 10, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | NBCSP, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Jvr is not ideal. But he is at least good at something worthy. Goalscoring. If we would have another PP coach he would be a 30 goal scorer for us. Should be ok.

Hayes on the other side
Laughton on the same side.

10 millions for things player with half the salary can do.

Thats our problem when it comes to contracts. In my eyes

both were an issue. id rather use that money at hamilton or something similar

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He has 9 PP goals this year. That's top 10 in the league. His career high is 11.

Our PP hasn't been great, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect more PP production from JVR.

JVR's year by year is production is freakishly consistent for a guy where's there's been so much angst about his scoring in smaller samples, and so much concern about him falling off a cliff. Once he left for Toronto, his P/GP has been between 0.61 and 0.76 every single season. If he scores tonight, it will be the best P/GP of his career aged 32.

James van Riemsdyk Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
JVR's year by year is production is freakishly consistent for a guy where's there's been so much angst about his scoring in smaller samples, and so much concern about him falling off a cliff. Once he left for Toronto, his P/GP has been between 0.61 and 0.76 every single season. If he scores tonight, it will be the best P/GP of his career aged 32.

During a season he's very streaky, but career-wise he's been very consistent.

As is Hayes, btw. Even in a bad season he's still pacing for 44 points

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Why Couts was out to start the season, JVR-Laughton-Farabee were a great 3rd line. In fact, JVR was 4th in league scoring when Couts came back.

AV 100% should have went back to that line when all 3 went into a funk the 2nd half of the season.

But year...JVR...super streaky during the season....yet consistent season to season

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
test123.PNG

Reactions: freakydallas13

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So....1 game to go.....and both Provy and Jake still don't have a PP goal this year.

They had 11 combined last year.

Side note....Giroux has one.....had 7 last year.

So those 3 combine for 1 PPG compared to 18 last year.....and Giroux was on the "proper" side most of this year.

Draisaitl has more PP goals than Jake, Provy, Giroux, Patrick, Hayes, Farabee, Couts....combined.

Fire MT.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers’ team save % is .882. Next worst in the league is .896 (SJ). That’s a stunning difference.

It’s also the worst team save percentage in the NHL in almost 30 years.

The blame for this season absolutely begins with goaltending. It was historically inept.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The Flyers’ team save % is .882. Next worst in the league is .896 (SJ). That’s a stunning difference.

The blame for this season absolutely begins with goaltending. It was historically inept.

Lol, do you actually beleive that ALL the Flyers goalies suddenly forgot hoe to play their positions ?

or maybe, just maybe the problem lies deeper then just the guy in the big leg pads...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Lol, do you actually beleive that ALL the Flyers goalies suddenly forgot hoe to play their positions ?

or maybe, just maybe the problem lies deeper then just the guy in the big leg pads...

I think it's fair to say that among the many reasons for such a dismal season, goaltending is at the top of the list. It is disingenuous to say goaltending is the only problem.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
S% can be misleading, but when you look at GAA - xGA/60, Flyer goalies are at the bottom.
This is a better measure (there are sites with more refined measures but they come to the same conclusion).
That is, Flyer goalies simply give up far more goals than would be expected given the quality of shots taken.
When you look at any other metric, the Flyer defense is middle of the pack or better:
12th in xGA
9th in SCA
12th in HDCA

The PK hasn't been good, but not as bad as advertised
21st in xGA/60 (Isles are 20th)
12th in SCA/60
23rd in HDCA/60 (too many breakdowns)

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hate to put it like this, but if the Devils win in regulation and Chicago beats Dallas, we are in a much better draft position. If we win and Chicago beats Dallas we are in a much worse draft position. If the Flyers win, hope for at least a loser point for Dallas. Do we want to be in 1st round draft position 15, 14, or 13 pre lottery (accounting for Arizona's forfeited first round pick)?

I really can't help myself. I hate to watch the Flyers lose, even if it is better for the team.
For me, it’s not even a question. Watching one loss to potentially jump up multiple spots in the 1st round is easily worth it. Especially in the first half of the first round.

We lose nothing, we gain a lot.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
During a season he's very streaky, but career-wise he's been very consistent.

As is Hayes, btw. Even in a bad season he's still pacing for 44 points
As is Voracek, and, of course, Giroux. The issue with all these guys (and soon tob e Couts) is the large salary, years left and the threat of production falling off the cliff

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
For me, it’s not even a question. Watching one loss to potentially jump up multiple spots in the 1st round is easily worth it. Especially in the first half of the first round.

We lose nothing, we gain a lot.

Hell we've been watching this team lose a lot this crappy season. What's one more gonna hurt?

Reactions: Striiker

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
As is Voracek, and, of course, Giroux. The issue with all these guys (and soon tob e Couts) is the large salary, years left and the threat of production falling off the cliff
True, but that's the risk you have to take when you want to compete.

Reactions: tucson83

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Amazingly, if the season was just starting, I would love this line-up with hart in goal.

Nah, it could be improved next season:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Farabee - Hayes - Allison
van Riemsdyk - Laughton - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Aube-Kubel

additions: Frost, Laczynski
subractions: ???

Frost should start next year as the 3C, Laczynski as the 4C/4RW
Laughton moves to 3LW/4C?
But a healthy Lindblom should be in the top 9
Time to wheel and deal

Provorov - Sanheim
York - Braun
Gostisbehere - Myers
Morin - Hagg

Myers should move back up to the top 4 next year.
Ghost doesn't really pair well with Braun for some reason, but he does with Hagg.
Morin will be #7/#8 if he resigns.
Still in flux.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005

Accurate. Hakstol would have won a half dozen more games each year with competent goaltending. Vigneault would have lost ten more games last year with incompetent goaltending.

The only conclusion that can be drawn about this team from this season is this: they’re just not good enough to compensate for poor goaltending.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Accurate. Hakstol would have won a half dozen more games each year with competent goaltending. Vigneault would have lost ten more games last year with incompetent goaltending.

The only conclusion that can be drawn about this team from this season is this: they’re just not good enough to compensate for poor goaltending.

To go along, goaltending is an issue. Let’s say that it was better this season.

Does this team have what it takes to rise amongst the top clubs of the league? Or are we looking at a playoff similar to last season - where the systemic flaws are again massively exploited, but Hart manages to keep them in the games.

They got past Montreal because Hart carried them, and nothing more. That series was domination on ice with the team holding on and praying a transition chance gets them a goal or two.

The bar just needs to be set so much higher. Better goaltending maybe even gets them to the dance this year, but the notion that being a club that’s somehow successful by just making the playoffs... That organizational belief needs to change.

A huge flaw, is trying to force a squad of not really great skaters when compared to the last of the league to constantly give the puck away, and be too slow to retrieve it. The defensive schemes of low percentage transitions, or forcing everything to the wall when moving up ice needs to be addressed, but they struggle so much as a club because they give the puck away far too willingly in the offensive zone.

There is a lot more here preventing a rise to the top than goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad