Post-Game Talk: #55: Flyers at Rangers, Sunday, February 14, 2016

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone else notice the bit where the NBC commentators were talking about how good VdV and Bellemare have been as the Flyers main penalty killers, then went straight into talking about how the Flyers PK is 25th in the league?

That was weird.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There was a lot of weirdness.

Anytime JR talked about the disallowed STL goal I thought he was confusing as hell. It would sound like he was arguing it was clearly a goal and then would immediately argue that it wasn't. It was like he was having a debate with himself.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
There was a lot of weirdness.

Anytime JR talked about the disallowed STL goal I thought he was confusing as hell. It would sound like he was arguing it was clearly a goal and then would immediately argue that it wasn't. It was like he was having a debate with himself.

Loved JR when he played here (that wired jaw and still playing was inspirational) but man I hate him now. Lost so much respect for him when he started crying after the Hawks beat Philly.

Why'd you do that to me, Jeremy? It didn't have to be this way, you ruined everything.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
When my mobile phone gave me the alert at the start of the game....

and I saw that Mason was in the nets, I knew they were going to lose.
He's a lousy goalie. I wish Hextall would move him at the trade deadline. The team will not be in the playoffs, so why not dump the garbage now, get draft picks in return, and add more prospects into the system.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
So, i know everyone hates that guy who says "i told ya so" but everytime you guys would pine for Andrew MacDonald to be up on the team, i told you that he still looks bad even in the AHL. "But he's playing well in the AHL, he's an All Star!" Well so was Manning last year and look at him now.

Go ahead and tell me MacDonald wasnt really that bad last night. The only thing he helps this team do is get a higher draft pick

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Loved JR when he played here (that wired jaw and still playing was inspirational) but man I hate him now. Lost so much respect for him when he started crying after the Hawks beat Philly.

Why'd you do that to me, Jeremy? It didn't have to be this way, you ruined everything.

I also cannot stand Roenick! He is such an arse kissing toolbag. When the Flyers played Chicago in the 2010 finals, and I heard him gushing over the Blackhawks, I was completely finished with him. I know he used to play with Chicago, but did he have to make it sound so one sided with his biased opinions?
I equate Roenick along with Mike Emrick and Pierre Maguire and their obvious love affair with Emrick's Penguins. Emrick and Maguire should be banned from doing play-by-play during Penguin games, just as Roenick should be banned from Flyers broadcasts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So, i know everyone hates that guy who says "i told ya so" but everytime you guys would pine for Andrew MacDonald to be up on the team, i told you that he still looks bad even in the AHL. "But he's playing well in the AHL, he's an All Star!" Well so was Manning last year and look at him now.

Go ahead and tell me MacDonald wasnt really that bad last night. The only thing he helps this team do is get a higher draft pick

It was his first NHL game in months and he was no worse than the top four all dmen were against Buffalo just last week. You must have a massive axe to grind to make a season long judgement based on a single game.

When Manning was the Phantoms #1 dman last season he was -13. MacDonald was +7 this season while playing close to 30 minutes a game. That's a huge difference. If Manning had showed any indication he could be the top pairing replacement for MDZ why wasn't he paired with Ghost and sent out against the Rangers top lines last night?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
and I saw that Mason was in the nets, I knew they were going to lose.
He's a lousy goalie. I wish Hextall would move him at the trade deadline. The team will not be in the playoffs, so why not dump the garbage now, get draft picks in return, and add more prospects into the system.

That's definitely an inference not based in reality

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I also cannot stand Roenick! He is such an arse kissing toolbag. When the Flyers played Chicago in the 2010 finals, and I heard him gushing over the Blackhawks, I was completely finished with him. I know he used to play with Chicago, but did he have to make it sound so one sided with his biased opinions?
I equate Roenick along with Mike Emrick and Pierre Maguire and their obvious love affair with Emrick's Penguins. Emrick and Maguire should be banned from doing play-by-play during Penguin games, just as Roenick should be banned from Flyers broadcasts.

Emrick was play by play for the Devils not the Penguins buddy :laugh::laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It's really, really hard to figure out what his actual hockey beliefs are. He is an entertainer more than an analyst. He tries hard to create a storyline, I guess to make games more compelling to average viewers or viewers without a team in a game. For instance, last night he made the Flyers the "heel" and crapped on Mason. A couple weeks ago, I forget what game it was, he had the Flyers as his "face" and was all praise, including for Mason.

I guess that's better than Milbury, who seems to genuinely believe everything he says.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And the Flyers. :laugh:

Eh. Emrick has displayed clear pro-Penguins bias. He is a Pittsburgh sports fan. He's a huge Pirates fan, for instance, and got his start in sports coverage covering the Penguins.

It's noticeable when the Flyers aren't playing, and it's been noticed by fanbases besides us.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Eh. Emrick has displayed clear pro-Penguins bias. He is a Pittsburgh sports fan. He's a huge Pirates fan, for instance, and got his start in sports coverage covering the Penguins.

It's noticeable when the Flyers aren't playing, and it's been noticed by fanbases besides us.

Yeah I personally dont think there is much bias when we play them, but Pierre on the other hand different story

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It's because no fanbase likes national announcers. It was the absolute worst when the Phillies were relevant. Some people can't handle a constant sunny disposition.
Don't think he's a Pittsburgh sports fan either, he mentioned around the Super Bowl that he's a Bears fan.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's because no fanbase likes national announcers. It was the absolute worst when the Phillies were relevant. Some people can't handle a constant sunny disposition.
Don't think he's a Pittsburgh sports fan either, he mentioned around the Super Bowl that he's a Bears fan.

I only ever have an issue with Emrick during games when the Penguins are playing. No other team. And it isn't just against the Flyers. It's apparent in any game involving the Pens. Like I've said, I'm not alone in this observation in the slightest.

Actually, sunny disposition has nothing to do with it. The way he will be thrilled beyond belief when the Penguins score, and how he'll routinely sound like someone just strangled his dog when they are scored on, is problematic. It's when he sounds disappointed that is the biggest tell.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Roenick did have positive things to say about Mason at one point, which really confused the hell out of me. It was a bizarre 180. This morning, I also saw that f'd up thing he did with Giroux. He's awkward to say the least and rather looney. When G said he had issues, pretty sure he was being serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad