Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 6 - TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT - THANK YOU JACK EDWARDS - Series tied 3-3

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Everything that looked like a problem intermittently during the regular season is coming to bear now. Disastrous faceoff numbers, lack of speed, overthinking rather than shooting the puck. We could go on and on. When seeing this team at its best, it almost made you believe they could go the distance, but more and more over the course of the year, it's seemed like the frazzled and hapless version of the team is their true core identity.

I'll be tuned in on Saturday and hoping for a resurgence when it counts, but I'd bet my down payment savings on the Panthers winning the next series regardless--so I'm not sure it matters either way.

If they struggle again to make shots on goal in the first period of Game 7, they can go back to the locker room 0-0, but we'll all know already that it's over.
Agreed. I knew it was over last night at the end of the 1st and they’d only registered one shot on goal

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
NHL Tonight hit the nail on the head. The leafs the last two games have mirrored the Panthers on the way they beat the bruins a year ago. The Leafs have gone from a rush team to a dump and chase team and the Bruins haven’t been able to adjust. No odd man rushes last night.

Torontos coach has countered and it’s working, Montgomery counters by giving his team an optional practice.WTF !

It's not just the dump-and-chase. The Leafs D are playing like the Panthers D did last year (outside of Montour). Don't rush the puck, stay back, play it safe, force the Bruins forwards to beat you with speed they don't have.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It's not just the dump-and-chase. The Leafs D are playing like the Panthers D did last year (outside of Montour). Don't rush the puck, stay back, play it safe, force the Bruins forwards to beat you with speed they don't have.
They are also forechecking similarly to how the Panthers forwards did last year too. The adjustment Keefe made was to have the second forward forecheck the forward receiving the pass from the Bruins' defenseman which is hemming the Bruins in their own zone. The frustrating thing is Monty hasn't made the adjustment.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They are also forechecking similarly to how the Panthers forwards did last year too. The adjustment Keefe made was to have the second forward forecheck the forward receiving the pass from the Bruins' defenseman which is hemming the Bruins in their own zone. The frustrating thing is Monty hasn't made the adjustment.

Yup, take away that middle pass option forces the Bruins D to go up the wall. Rinse and repeat. The D to counter that need to skate the puck more themselves IMO but only Lohrei seems willing to do that.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
This is exactly right. Toronto is playing simple, smart hockey and completely taking away the middle of the ice and blocking shots.

They are basically beating us at our own game and they'd be smart to stick with that style once Matthews comes back. We've got to find a way to overcome that. I think we will.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is exactly right. Toronto is playing simple, smart hockey and completely taking away the middle of the ice and blocking shots.

They are basically beating us at our own game and they'd be smart to stick with that style once Matthews comes back. We've got to find a way to overcome that. I think we will.

Load up the Top 9 with your nine fastest forwards. Essentially bench your 4th line. Get away from the puck possession/east-west game and get cooking with dump-and-chase and north-south hockey. Can they flip the switch and adjust. I don't know.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
I have such second hand embarrassment from the last 72 hours it's ridiculous.

Hasn't happened yet, but if you do this again a lot more needs to happen other than Monty getting canned. The core leadership is rotten to its core. We all know the history since 2011. I'm no psychologist, but I genuinely wonder if 2019 game 7 screwed them up subconsciously or something... Beyond repair.

Swayman deserves a better effort in front of him. We're going to find out how it's going to go on saturday in the first 10 minutes. If they come out like that again I'm not sure I'll have the emotional energy to stand going through it again.

If Monty is serious about solving this, he needs to find a way to get through the neutral zone. Figure it out man. See ya'll then.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Doesn’t help that the bruins have a little under $12million in cap tied to healthy scratches in Ullmark, gryz and forbort.

Just an absolute waste of roster spots and money that could be going to multiple top 6 forwards or a #1 center
Will never get over how dumb the two #1 goalie thing was. The fanbase's obsession with the goalie hug, too. Just mind boggling.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I thought perhaps he might be, especially after he fell on his knee awkwardly in G5, but then Monty called him out in the presser, and I choose to believe (at least for now) that the coach would not stoop so low as to criticize a player he knows is injured. So I'm assuming not. I think he's simply struggling mentally as much as most of the rest of them.
It's always somebody else's fault with him. IIRC, he never took responsibility for any decision that he made last year. It's was "goalie Bob this, goalie Bob that." He points fingers but never ever at himself. He seems arrogant and only about himself.
Not to absolve the players but at least half the issue is the coaching.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Don’t ever underestimate the Bergeron effect.
Bergy is my fab number
Is it true, no team in any professional sport, MLB, NBA, and NHL, have lost two straight playoff rounds while up 3-1?
this team write the modern book of mediocrity and shame !!! Braking all records one by one

Don’t ever underestimate the Bergeron effect.
Bergy is my fab number but he were a leader of memorable fails !!! So many that we can’t remember all

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Yup very big advantage in the regular season but equally as big of a disadvantage in the playoffs when you have that much cap allocated to a goalie not playing.

Look at the last 10ish years of Stanley Cup winning goaltenders.

Except for Vasilesvsky and Quick in 2014 none of those names are really that sexy.

Spending money on the right 18 skaters seems to pay off more than spending it on your goaltending.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Agreed, although I think if Zacha could go back to LW he’d be fine.
Just not sure. I feel like we are finally seeing the NJ version of Zacha. He had his chances there as well and by the end he was a third line winger. He just may be one of those guys when things get comfortable he trails off. I don’t think he is bad I just think he may not be consistent enough in a top 6 role. A third line of Coyle and Zacha is probably a great asset but those two in the top 6 you’ll have to expect inconsistencies

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Bergy is my fab number

this team write the modern book of mediocrity and shame !!! Braking all records one by one

Bergy is my fab number but he were a leader of memorable fails !!! So many that we can’t remember all

I noticed the last time you posted before yesterday was Jan 10. Could your agenda be more obvious?

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Second (and final thought) on "Biz Nasty" - his lack of class is amplified to the extreme by the presence of Lundqvist on the panel. Polar opposites on each side of the table.

Reactions: Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Having slept off the initial wave of anger, I still feel doom and gloom.

Last year was a worse loss in the objective sense - that team should've won a cup and their coach got in the way. If they got by Florida, they're easily in the finals and I think they beat Vegas if healthy. This team is getting tombstoned by Florida even if they win Saturday.

This year though leaves me feeling completely different, and in some senses it's more despicable. Last year had a lot of copes - Bergeron/Krejci hurt, flu bug, Ullmark's injury, and Monty being Monty. All of that swung the other way this year. Nylander is playing hurt, Matthews out for the series, Leafs on a backup goalie. And we can't take advantage?

The prevailing mood from Saturday to Tuesday was how after last year's experience, we knew there was no way they were going to let it happen again. But they f***ing did. I can't believe this group did it f***ing again.

They're mentally weak, taking after their coach, and with a leadership vacuum on the bench. Marchand is not inspiring them, but I'm most disappointed in McAvoy, who turns into a pumpkin every April and May. Lindholm also looks rudderless. They miss Chara's stability and leadership greatly.

A stronger coach than Monty would still have this team up and ready to play. If Chara and Lucic were in the room, the boys would be going to war despite the coach. I think it's not impossible that this season went off the rails a round or two earlier than it otherwise would've because Lucic had one beer too many at Thanksgiving.

I still trust Sweeney somehow, he seems to do the best he can with the limited resources he has, but Monty and Neely have to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad