Post-Game Talk: #55: Flyers at Rangers, Sunday, February 14, 2016

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I have no problem being patient with Laughton. Look at the first overall pick from that draft year. He's still struggling.
Galchenyuk is fine, but not really 3rd overall good.
Almost all the other forwards that were picked before Laughton aren't really impact players yet. It just wasn't a very good draft year for forwards.

That entire draft was meh, save like 8-10 guys

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I have no problem being patient with Laughton. Look at the first overall pick from that draft year. He's still struggling.
Galchenyuk is fine, but not really 3rd overall good.
Almost all the other forwards that were picked before Laughton aren't really impact players yet. It just wasn't a very good draft year for forwards.

We still have a few more drafts left to go still but Yakupov has a legit chance to go down as the worst #1 overall pick of the decade. He's running out of excuses as to why things aren't working in Edmonton at this point. He very well could be on another team next season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
We still have a few more drafts left to go still but Yakupov has a legit chance to go down as the worst #1 overall pick of the decade. He's running out of excuses as to why things aren't working in Edmonton at this point. He very well could be on another team next season.
The thing I always hear about him is that he has no hockey sense. Too one-dimensional and doesn't seem to care about defense all that much.
I'm not sure the Oilers could expect a decent return for him at this point. They've waited too long.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Oh I didn't know that. :laugh:

That's the only reason I'd like Tortorella as coach, calling the media idiots like all coaches and players should.

god I wish that hextall, haxtol or homer would lay into tim P. the way the fonz did to Fisher! :yo:

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I also cannot stand Roenick! He is such an arse kissing toolbag. When the Flyers played Chicago in the 2010 finals, and I heard him gushing over the Blackhawks, I was completely finished with him. I know he used to play with Chicago, but did he have to make it sound so one sided with his biased opinions?
I equate Roenick along with Mike Emrick and Pierre Maguire and their obvious love affair with Emrick's Penguins. Emrick and Maguire should be banned from doing play-by-play during Penguin games, just as Roenick should be banned from Flyers broadcasts.

A bit off base my friend. While Emrick might like the Pens, I would hardly consider it a love afair. Especially given that he was the Flyers AND Devils play-by-play announcer for over 8 years combined. He has zero ties to Pittsburgh. Diarrhea of the mouth at times, sure. But a Penguins homer, definitely not. Not dial up Olchyk or that other guy on NBC that likes to fight with his loafers, then you are right. :popcorn:

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Eh. Emrick has displayed clear pro-Penguins bias. He is a Pittsburgh sports fan. He's a huge Pirates fan, for instance, and got his start in sports coverage covering the Penguins.

It's noticeable when the Flyers aren't playing, and it's been noticed by fanbases besides us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Emrick#Broadcasting_career

Its wikipedia and I am a slow reader, but I don't think I saw anything in there related to Pittsburgh. If anything, it would be more Philly (maine mariners) or Devils.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Emrick#Broadcasting_career

Its wikipedia and I am a slow reader, but I don't think I saw anything in there related to Pittsburgh. If anything, it would be more Philly (maine mariners) or Devils.

"Emrick is an avid Pittsburgh Pirates fan.[19] He grew up listening to Bob Prince on KDKA Radio. He attended a game in which Garrett Jones became the first Pirates player to hit a home run into the Allegheny River on the fly.[20] On June 11, 2014 he was interviewed on NPR's All Things Considered [1] by Melissa Block discussing his career and style.

When his NBC broadcast schedule permits, Emrick travels to Hershey, Pennsylvania, each year to announce the Hershey Bears' Hall of Fame inductees.[21]"

He grew up within broadcast range of KDKA, a Pittsburgh station, and from that link as well:

"Emrick taught speech and broadcasting at Geneva College in the Pittsburgh suburb of Beaver Falls from 1969–71 and got his first experience of the NHL covering the Pittsburgh Penguins as an unpaid correspondent for The Beaver County Times newspaper."

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Selecting Dylan McIlrath 10th overall was worth it after all. He's like a tougher Shea Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad