• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Nope this wasn't a thing.

He didn't handle the puck as well as he normally does, but he still did a good job generating some quality chances. He had the highest xGF of all Ranger defensemen. He must have done something right. The best shift the team had all game came in the 3rd where he and Panarin basically danced around the Jets for 30 seconds before Staal ****ed it up.

If we're going to call out the bad pinch, fine, he got bailed out by Fox on that one. His D partner made more egregious mistakes tonight that went unnoticed because they either didn't result on a SOG or an odd man rush.
I’m not normally someone who bashes Staal as I see merit to lockerroom guys & “muh intangibles” more than most on here. But today he was noticeably brutal, far more than most nights. Thought Jesper Fast was garbage as well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m not normally someone who bashes Staal as I see merit to lockerroom guys & “muh intangibles” more than most on here. But today he was noticeably brutal, far more than most nights. Thought Jesper Fast was garbage as well.

This was a good game for Staal by Staal standards.

Hes never going to play mistake free hockey, but at least they were kept to a minimum and he handled the rush well.

Fast was not good and the 4th line got abused worse than Pionk.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
This was a good game for Staal by Staal standards.

Hes never going to play mistake free hockey, but at least they were kept to a minimum and he handled the rush well.

Fast was not good and the 4th line got abused worse than Pionk.
Idk man I saw him get beat several times, and a lot of plays die on his stick. Maybe he’s sometimes steadily bad but tonight I saw very glaringly obvious misplays by him. Normally I don’t really think about Marc Staal lol

I don’t get how Fast is still on that Panarin line over Kakko

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I never said he wasn’t good, or that what he brings is easily replaceable

But this is what Kreider is. A hot and cold guy. People act like he’s playing any different than he has the last 5 years

Had you said same exact thing early to mid November, you'd be spot on. However at this point in time gotta disagree with you my friend here on this.

For the past 2 1/2 months, there has been no "cold" Kreider as this has been by far THE best stretch of his entire career.

I said this on the game thread. I've never seen him so engaged, physical, passionate and productive as he's been since mid November when Kreider obviously read our forum and heard all of us bitching and moaning about how terrible he was playing and how it looked like he was tanking as he knew he was gone.

Well since than, he's been other than Panarin, our best player and it's really not even close. It's a very tough call as to what to do with him seeing he's so unique in his style of play as there are very few players in the league who can combine the kind of speed and physicality as Kreider can.

Personally, I want to keep him seeing I have no concerns that in the later parts of what likely would be a 6-7 year term, he'd be out of shape or not engaged. And he gives the kids of ours a veteran to watch and learn from.

We'll see how it shakes out but no way it can be said that Kreider hasn't played as good as he's ever played for us in the past few months...he's been phenomenal.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Nope this wasn't a thing.

He didn't handle the puck as well as he normally does, but he still did a good job generating some quality chances. He had the highest xGF of all Ranger defensemen. He must have done something right. The best shift the team had all game came in the 3rd where he and Panarin basically danced around the Jets for 30 seconds before Staal ****ed it up.

If we're going to call out the bad pinch, fine, he got bailed out by Fox on that one. His D partner made more egregious mistakes tonight that went unnoticed because they either didn't result on a SOG or an odd man rush.
Staal made egregious mistakes? Please point them out. Because there were plenty of plays where Staal used his body positioning and reach to win battles below the goal line. You simply hate Staal too much that you see everything he does and twist it into some version of fault or ineptitude. I know Staal is not what he once was and he has more mediocre games than not but tonight was not one of those. He made sound plays all night while his partner was fumbling pucks in his own end and making bad decisions passing it.

Trying to use that one shift in the 3rd to exemplify that DeAngelo had a good game is absurd. The forwards did a majority of the work. And if anything, the smarter play would have been for him to not be down low below behind the net chasing the puck where he put it when his team is protecting a lead in the 3rd. But hey I am not going to harp on that. I mean of course his fancy stats who up positive offensively because that his is strength and its not like he was a complete cone out there. He just wasnt sharp or smart in the areas of the ice that could lead to opportunities for the other team. And I can live with it knowing what he can bring offensively, but I won’t ignore it.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think Trouba is better than Pionk. But only barely. And that’s the issue. 8 mil vs. under 4 mil. 8 years vs. 3 years.

Oh come now. They are completely different players and Trouba is much more of what we needed based on DeAngelo and Fox’s presence.

Don’t think Pionk is particularly close to any of our RD frankly.

Reactions: Rongomania

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Is Shesterkin our true franchise player?

Me thinks we got the guy to lead us for the next 10-15 years like Hank did the previous 15 years.

How amazing is that if Shesty is as good as we think he'll be and will carry the torch going forward?.

Sure I'm jumping the gun here severely but f*** it it's fun to do. If Shesty is as good as it looks like he'll be, we'd have had elite goaltending for 25-30 years. That's f***ing nuts. I can't think of any other team who would have had something like that.

Now we need to win a Cup or two to make it actually mean something...lol

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Are you sure you like DeAngelo? I don’t remember the last time you’ve ever said anything positive about him lol, I said positive about Trouba as recently as this GDT. There’s you and that guy with a picture of some food dish who always complain about him, I have a hard time believing you like DeAngelo. Which is fine, everyone has players they like or dislike. I’m just honest that I do not like Trouba and won’t pretend I’m impartial
Oh I am positive I do. I am not in the camp ready to trade him. I want him re-signed. He just can be very polarizing at times when it comes to his carelessness and defensive play. In tight games those mistakes can be all the difference. Thought he was weak in the Buffalo game as well. The team needs him to be more responsible to go along with his offensive ability.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staal made egregious mistakes? Please point them out. Because there were plenty of plays where Staal used his body positioning and reach to win battles below the goal line. You simply hate Staal too much that you see everything he does and twist it into some version of fault or ineptitude. I know Staal is not what he once was and he has more mediocre games than not but tonight was not one of those. He made sound plays all night while his partner was fumbling pucks in his own end and making bad decisions passing it.

Trying to use that one shift in the 3rd to exemplify that DeAngelo had a good game is absurd. The forwards did a majority of the work. And if anything, the smarter play would have been for him to not be down low below behind the net chasing the puck where he put it when his team is protecting a lead in the 3rd. But hey I am not going to harp on that. I mean of course his fancy stats who up positive offensively because that his is strength and its not like he was a complete cone out there. He just wasnt sharp or smart in the areas of the ice that could lead to opportunities for the other team. And I can live with it knowing what he can bring offensively, but I won’t ignore it.

Staal made 4 TO's in his own end on easy outlets that led to extended zone time, 2 of them resulted in really good scoring chances against. He was fumbling pucks like he usually does. Again this was a good game for him by Staal standards for other reasons, but lets not act like he was carrying the pairing, he was being carried.

There was one TO in the 2nd where he skated into useless ice and pretty much handcuffed himself which resulted in a TO and a quick shot from the slot that went wide. That in and of itself is more egregious than anything DeAngelo did.

Being down low and keeping the play alive in the offensive zone is NOT a bad thing. He had support up top, that shift ended up going on a bit longer than that and I'm pretty sure he was back in position when Staal f***ed up. It wasn't just that shift either, there were several in the 2nd where he played a big part in maintaining offensive zone pressure.

For all of his 'mistakes' tonight, he was on ice for a single high danger scoring chance against, which came due to his partner being unable to make a simple pass out of his own end.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Staal made 4 TO's in his own end on easy outlets that led to extended zone time, 2 of them resulted in really good scoring chances against. He was fumbling pucks like he usually does. Again this was a good game for him by Staal standards for other reasons, but lets not act like he was carrying the pairing, he was being carried.

There was one TO in the 2nd where he skated into useless ice and pretty much handcuffed himself which resulted in a TO and a quick shot from the slot that went wide. That in and of itself is more egregious than anything DeAngelo did.

Being down low and keeping the play alive in the offensive zone is NOT a bad thing. He had support up top, that shift ended up going on a bit longer than that and I'm pretty sure he was back in position when Staal ****ed up. It wasn't just that shift either, there were several in the 2nd where he played a big part in maintaining offensive zone pressure.

For all of his 'mistakes' tonight, he was on ice for a single high danger scoring chance against, which came due to his partner being unable to make a simple pass out of his own end.
I did not say Staal was carrying the pairing. I said he played a sound game. I do recall a couple of the turnovers but I also don’t expect him to be perfect. I expect more from DeAngelo.

I’ll go back and watch the game to point out the errors in DeAngelo’s game that led to dead plays or turnovers that led to possession going the other way.

I guess an absolutely awful pinch leading to a 3-on-1 in which he gets bailed out doesnt count as a high danger opportunity...

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Me thinks we got the guy to lead us for the next 10-15 years like Hank did the previous 15 years.

How amazing is that if Shesty is as good as we think he'll be and will carry the torch going forward?.

Sure I'm jumping the gun here severely but **** it it's fun to do. If Shesty is as good as it looks like he'll be, we'd have had elite goaltending for 25-30 years. That's ****ing nuts. I can't think of any other team who would have had something like that.

Now we need to win a Cup or two to make it actually mean something...lol

Hope Hank joins the Org. in some fashion to get to be near a cup here. Would be extremely Don Mattingly-esque.

Reactions: Maximus

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Yep...Igor's girl. Feed Pinky towards victory...
giphy.gif

Rangers Wins! We All Wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad