GDT: [#54] Stars @ Lightning 6:00 CT (BSSW+) - SAME GDT

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah Makar has outshined Miro big time. Unless he can find some kind of consistent offensive production I’m afraid we didn’t get the best defensemen from that draft.

My hope is covid sapped his energy to start the season and the schedule has kept him from catching up. Otherwise, I’m worried what we saw in the bubble was a three week hot streak and not an indication of what to expect every night.

I get people wanting to blame the system or whatever, but just look at the PP. Miro is good on the PP, but he’s not out there making magic or driving offense.

It's just so hard to tell. Makar is certainly more dynamic offensively but Heiskanen has shown he is capable of much, much more than what we are seeing this season. He has even had a couple of games this season where he looks every bit as dynamic but its just not there for the most part and I think a lot of it has to do with the team as a whole and their play style but idk. I mean everyone looks good on the Avs and dynamic so it's hard to tell

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Benn once again proving my point that he hurts more than helps this team in big games. Either wins em or loses em for you, and he's been doing a whole lot of losing

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Yeah Makar has outshined Miro big time. Unless he can find some kind of consistent offensive production I’m afraid we didn’t get the best defensemen from that draft.
Wrong, my opinion.

Flip the two guys on who they’re playing for and I think Heiskanen does just about as well but Makar (love the guy as well) wouldn’t stand as well on PK, defensive style of play as Heiskanen does. Time will tell.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Lmao this team man

I'm just watching for enjoyment since the playoffs aren't an option, but they can't even give us an entertaining game

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I love Otters fish out of water style. I thought when he was drafted he was supposed to be some technical god? He has horrible positioning and just slides all over the place out there.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I love Otters fish out of water style. I thought when he was drafted he was supposed to be some technical god? He has horrible positioning and just slides all over the place out there.
upload_2021-5-5_18-45-49.png

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Wrong, my opinion.

Flip the two guys on who they’re playing for and I think Heiskanen does just about as well but Makar (love the guy as well) wouldn’t stand as well on PK, defensive style of play as Heiskanen does. Time will tell.
I think all you have to do is watch both on the PP when they have the puck to see Makar is trying to do more to get goals scored. I think it’s a personality thing. Makar is more aggressive with the puck,

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
It's just so hard to tell. Makar is certainly more dynamic offensively but Heiskanen has shown he is capable of much, much more than what we are seeing this season. He has even had a couple of games this season where he looks every bit as dynamic but its just not there for the most part and I think a lot of it has to do with the team as a whole and their play style but idk. I mean everyone looks good on the Avs and dynamic so it's hard to tell

Makar is definitely more offensive gifted. Better shot, better vision, and more creative. BUT...it's hard to understate how badly Dallas limits Heiskanen's offensive potential. In Colorado, where goal scoring isn't galaxy brained, Makar plays ALL of his minutes with MacKinnon. His partners (mostly Toews but sometimes Girard and Graves) are also really good possession players. Under Bowness, Miro plays most of his minutes with the FCC line (who own the worst goal differential among Dallas' forwards at even strength) and his partner is Oleksiak...who, for whatever his recent strengths, doesn't actively generate offense beyond semi-threatening wheel spinning, and isn't anywhere near the quality of Toews, Girard, or Graves. And that's not even counting Dallas' idiotic dial-up offensive system.

Last edited:

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah I feel like Heiskanen could break out offensively but the Stars play such a preventative defensive game and half the roster is out there to just kill the clock and try not to get scored on.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think he’s just a mental mess when it comes to facing skaters. It’s why he’s stopped maybe one breakaway all season and, like we saw here, he panics with bad poke checks. He’s fine when facing usual shots, so I still feel good about him once he gets some confidence s built up about how to handle guys bearing down on him.

Heck, this may be a clear example of how a guy is suffering from a lack of practices. This flaw was exposed two months ago, but how much practice ice time has he had to work on it?

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I think all you have to do is watch both on the PP when they have the puck to see Makar is trying to do more to get goals scored. I think it’s a personality thing. Makar is more aggressive with the puck,
Makar is awesome with Colorado, thier PP and offensive team but put him in Heiskanen spot on the Stars and I would take Heiskanen.

Heiskanen plays a more defensive style including more PK minutes and isn’t allowed to run free like Makar.

edit - both kids are young and awesome and no reason to debate just yet on who’s better I’ll say.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Boy Oettinger is an adventure on breakaways. Should've been an easy goal for Gourde

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Makar is awesome with Colorado, thier PP and offensive team but put him in Heiskanen spot on the Stars and I would take Heiskanen.

Heiskanen plays a more defensive style including more PK minutes and isn’t allowed to run free like Makar.

edit - both kids are young and awesome and no reason to debate just yet on who’s better I’ll say.
I think they are very different players, but Makar is better at the high end offensive game.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Seguin looks good. I hope he has a big year next season. Like top 10 center type season.

Vasi makes a lot of saves when he doesn't even see the puck because his positioning is so good and being big helps. But so many pucks just hit him because he's in position and not flopping. He didn't see that Seguin tip at all.

Linus Bryksa

Mar 2, 2021
I feel like Oleksiak has had a big regression in the second half of the season
just a big lug with no real skills other than being huge - and that hasn't worked either - get rid of him as well and bring up some new guywith at least a bit of talent

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stars need to keep playing this risky style. Offense looks much better and it's way more fun to watch

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Athletic article about bad shooters had Sekera on the list for one of the players who gets the most of his shots blocked. Well, it actually worked out here. The shot block turned into a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad