#53 Stadium Series, Kings lose to Ducks ... by some score.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
But that would mean that he risks putting himself out there to be hit. I swear, at times it seems like Kopitar can make Jozef Stumpel look like Peter Forsberg. He looks so timid on the ice right now.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=702415

"The bottom line is we're not hungry enough to score," defenseman Drew Doughty said. "The goalie is seeing the puck every time there's a shot at the net. There's no deflections being made. There's not many screens in front, and when the goalie's seeing the puck he's going to make the save. The goalies are too these days.

"At this point, us not scoring goals has been a constant theme and it's getting embarrassing. We need to pick up our socks and everyone needs to get hungry around the net and score goals."

I can't imagine that any coach, no matter how defensively minded, would ever say don't move your feet, and don't go to the net. I just can't wrap my mind around the players ever being told to stand still on the boards, and then go for a line change.

When it comes to offense, the players on the team just aren't playing basic hockey. Move your feet on the PP, and go to, and get in front of, the net. You still may not score, but if you just stand around on the boards all game, you have no chance whatsoever.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree. As much as we rag on the system, it's clearly the players. Or a little of column A and a little of column B.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
A little racing news...

Flying Lizard Motorsports was just awarded the win in the GTD class at the 24 Hours of Daytona after finishing second. Race control took the victory away from Ferrari because they had 'avoidable contact' with the R8 LMS. Funniest part? There was no contact and multiple replay angles confirmed it.

Moral victory for Flying Lizard.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It is amazing just how hot and cold this team can be in the same season. The Olympic break can't come soon enough at this point. Give some players a rest and the ability to re-tool. Turn up the heat and pressure on some of our key players, and gives Lombardi a chance to get his ducks in a row and work the phones. Just have to wait and see how the players respond to February, and what Sutter and Lombardi do.

Ron*

It probably is Clifford (KFC) getting traded, but in order to obtain anyone of significance, he can't be the main piece imo.

I don't think anyone is getting traded.

We can discuss this again at the trade deadline when NOTHING happens. :)

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
My problem with the Olympic Break as far as the Kings are concerned is that there's really no retooling. 6 important players are going to the Games. What do you even practice?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I agree. As much as we rag on the system, it's clearly the players. Or a little of column A and a little of column B.

How can it be the players if they're all struggling simultaneously? You think it's a coincidence? They clearly need a change of pace. We know this roster is capable of winning.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I believe there's a freeze.

Yep, it's been said that it will be like having two trade deadlines, one before the Olympic break, and then the actual one which is shortly after. The Olympic break is on the 8th of February and league play will resume on the 26th, with the trade deadline on March 5.

Whoops, I guess I missed the joke as well.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
I had to drive around wit a friend of mine who was gloating after the ucks score the first 2. God i was deflated, good thing there was alcohol to make me forget for a few hours. hangover and remembering that loss made me wish i wasn't at work.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How can it be the players if they're all struggling simultaneously? You think it's a coincidence? They clearly need a change of pace. We know this roster is capable of winning.

All players struggling simultaneously is called a slump.

I think there needs to be a change of pace/tune up of sorts, but now we've seen both extremes of the Sutter system: the 2012 run and now. Reality obviously lies somewhere more in the middle. As I said elsewhere, we have a collection of 20-40 goal scorers, a vezina finalist/conn smythe winner, a norris finalist, and several other experienced parts. I find it hard to believe that they've all just collectively forgotten how to play how they did in 2012. I'm not making excuses for everyone, I just think there's more to it and that we'll tune right back towards the middle. The question will be is it too late, and what moves will we make to inject some juice into the lineup.

I don't remember what the point of my quoted post was other than maybe to suggest adding Moulson/Vanek/etc. isn't a guarantee that we're going to find another goal per game if the current group doesn't move their feet and get to the middle.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Re-watching the game on the NHL network, I still can't believe Williams passed up the shot in favor of the pass to Brown down low in the 3rd. That just show how the shot mentality has completely disappeared in favor of the pass. Williams should've buried that into the top corner.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Not counting the goal that is tacked-on when you win a game in a shootout, the Kings have won NINE games in which they have scored two goals or less. That's 31% of the Kings wins!! Even when they win they can barely score

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.

... I still can't believe Williams passed up the shot in favor of the pass to Brown down low in the 3rd. That just show how the shot mentality has completely disappeared in favor of the pass. Williams should've buried that into the top corner.

I think it's completely obvious that just about EVERYONE now on this team has lost just about all confidence in themselves, and are playing afraid ... and it's why those types of plays are happening.

Hate to bring out the movie quotes, but as in 'The Replacements' ...

... like I said you can see it, everyone is second guessing themselves out there. Take the piss poor Power Play ... and how we can even barely get it into the zone, and how many off sides calls and lazy undisciplined penalties we've been taking of late. It's because the guy trying to bring the puck in doesn't know IF he can, and he second guesses himself, thus the other players on the ice don't know what he's going to do either, and either go off sides, or are caught flat footed and looking around trying to figure out what the other guys are doing. You can see it ... poor passing, going offsides, guys standing flat footed, guys passing it off instead of shooting, yet guys not getting the pass because they thought too why didn't he shoot, 2 guys bumping into each other, going after the same guy, because the one guys doesn't trust in the other that he's gonna stop him ... it's ALL OVER the Ice, you see it everywhere, or at least I do.

Not sure what it's going to take to snap these guys out of it ... but hell everyone has looked like complete crap. Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Carter, Richards, Stoll, Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell ... all of them. It's a confidence issue, some are overcompensating trying to overcome it, some seem to be going into a shell and afraid of it, some are just struggling period ...

But come on, for all the issues this team WAS WINNING, and was almost atop the world a month ago had it not been for the insane winning streak the Ducks have been on for entirely too long now. Look at how well the team was playing in front of Scrivens and Jones just a short while ago ... frankly it's almost as if when Quick came back the team said oh cool we don't have to try as hard now Quick will win it for us ... and to his Credit Quick has generally remained the strongest and played the best during this slump, we WILL get of it ... we have to, we WILL. Keep the Faith ! :nod:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think it's completely obvious that just about EVERYONE now on this team has lost just about all confidence in themselves, and are playing afraid ... and it's why those types of plays are happening.

Hate to bring out the movie quotes, but as in 'The Replacements' ...

... like I said you can see it, everyone is second guessing themselves out there. Take the piss poor Power Play ... and how we can even barely get it into the zone, and how many off sides calls and lazy undisciplined penalties we've been taking of late. It's because the guy trying to bring the puck in doesn't know IF he can, and he second guesses himself, thus the other players on the ice don't know what he's going to do either, and either go off sides, or are caught flat footed and looking around trying to figure out what the other guys are doing. You can see it ... poor passing, going offsides, guys standing flat footed, guys passing it off instead of shooting, yet guys not getting the pass because they thought too why didn't he shoot, 2 guys bumping into each other, going after the same guy, because the one guys doesn't trust in the other that he's gonna stop him ... it's ALL OVER the Ice, you see it everywhere, or at least I do.

Not sure what it's going to take to snap these guys out of it ... but hell everyone has looked like complete crap. Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Carter, Richards, Stoll, Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell ... all of them. It's a confidence issue, some are overcompensating trying to overcome it, some seem to be going into a shell and afraid of it, some are just struggling period ...

But come on, for all the issues this team WAS WINNING, and was almost atop the world a month ago had it not been for the insane winning streak the Ducks have been on for entirely too long now. Look at how well the team was playing in front of Scrivens and Jones just a short while ago ... frankly it's almost as if when Quick came back the team said oh cool we don't have to try as hard now Quick will win it for us ... and to his Credit Quick has generally remained the strongest and played the best during this slump, we WILL get of it ... we have to, we WILL. Keep the Faith ! :nod:

I thought this too, but it was much earlier. It started once the guys returned from injury like Lewis and Greene. Lewis came back in and Sutter benches the rookies who were just starting to play well. All the lines changed the day he returned and the mojo went away.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00