#52 Kings = suck @ Ducks = unstoppable = 2-1 loss AGAIN !

Ron*

Personal call-out time is over, ok?

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of it, actually. I was minding my own business, watching the game. Don't really understand why fans have to call out other fans.

Attack the post, not the poster. That's how I run my board. Seems to work, guys.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I'd love to be a fly in the room during the GM-Coach meeting.

I wonder which guys idea it was to move Carter away from Kopitar and replace him with Lewis while keeping TT in the pressbox. Wonder who wants to keep giving Frattin so many chances in scoring roles (probably Dean)

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'd love to be a fly in the room during the GM-Coach meeting.

I wonder which guys idea it was to move Carter away from Kopitar and replace him with Lewis while keeping TT in the pressbox. Wonder who wants to keep giving Frattin so many chances in scoring roles (probably Dean)

Hated the frattin trade from day one....wanted Read

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I just refuse to buy the system garbage.....

These exact same players were fine with it for almost 50 games in 2012.

They had fun ,kiler instinct etc. Its the players job to create In the system ..

The system does not make players creative or attack center ice , or a PP function .

Its on the players to create their own offense and move their god d#$mm feet.

Penner... this guy.. most of you think he sucks... well even this guy saw a huge jump moving off this team.

Richards in the game before this made a move at the offensive blue line, burned a guy, passed to Williams. Instead of passing back to Richards driving the net or shooting Williams dumped the puck. Richards reward for making a play was to get to dig the puck out of the corner. Not much incentive to do anything with the puck then dump it. This system has allowed Lewis to raise to the top line. On any other team he would be banished to the 4th or waived.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Penner... this guy.. most of you think he sucks... well even this guy saw a huge jump moving off this team.

Richards in the game before this made a move at the offensive blue line, burned a guy, passed to Williams. Instead of passing back to Richards driving the net or shooting Williams dumped the puck. Richards reward for making a play was to get to dig the puck out of the corner. Not much incentive to do anything with the puck then dump it. This system has allowed Lewis to raise to the top line. On any other team he would be banished to the 4th or waived.

You described an error by Williams , and Penner is doing fine cause he is not asked to play at one end of the ice defense (coach) and plays with the best center in hockey not named Crosby....

That has nothing to do with a hockey system.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
You described an error by Williams , and Penner is doing fine cause he is not asked to play at one end of the ice defense (coach) and playes with the best center in hockey not named Crosby....

That has nothing to do with a hockey system.

An error by Williams? No that is what this system tells guys to do. Don't make a play at the blue line. Dump the puck. For Clifford/Nolan that's good. For your top 6? They are supposed to make plays.

Penner not playing both ends? I watched a few games a couple months back and he was busting his butt on back checks. His ability to dig/control pucks in the corner and buy time for his line mates helps that line greatly. Oh yeah and 15 has a lot more goals this year then normal. Strange.

Maybe the whole team is just slumping at the same time and Lewis is the best player on the team.

Only thing worse then Read at 3mil might be Brown at 5. Oh yeah or Frattin. :laugh:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Team is trash right now and has been for the majority of the season.

A funny read is the "Kings are boring" thread that was on the main board during the hot swing through Canada in December. Lots of usual suspects from the Kings board defending the Kings. Well guys: they are boring and they were boring then. Difference then was that your favorite team is never boring when they are winning because they are winning, just like Devils fans had a great time watching their trap teams.

Calgary went to Game 7 of the SCF and then were a competitive team that basically played a defense first system and relied on Kipper to play 70 out of 82 games. They got worse each year and eventually became the mess they are today. We all know who the coach and eventual GM of that franchise was: Mr. Road Apples.

I'll always love DL and Sutter and everyone involved with 2012. This is a results based profession though and it all comes down to "what have you done for me lately".

Last time they looked this pathetic, the coach got fired and then they still looked pretty sorry. Then Lombardi hit a home run with Carter and they caught lightning in a bottle for a few months. Without cap space, the best DL is looking at is a double but he will probably settle for a single and hope Quick can go Giguere '03 and plan for next year in the event that doesn't happen.

Things are really bleak at the moment, but simply scoring some mother effing power play goals would do wonders for this team. Unfortunately, I can't imagine these guys changing their PP fortunes with the way they run it. It's a god damn embarrassment and sends the team into a minimum four minute funk. Get two power plays back to back? Oh baby, now we are looking at ten minutes of terrible hockey afterwards at a minimum.

My 57 year old mother jumped hard on the bandwagon in '12. Listens to pre-season games on the radio now and was actually watching the last draft and had to tell me about the Zykov trade as I was watching soccer. Always positive about everyone. She texted me and said "something has to be done".

Gentlemen, my mother has spoken.

Greater Malison

He Knows. You Don't.
Feb 19, 2004
Inland Empire, CA
And they outproduced everyone else on the team.

This is bad.

They certainly did, and I don't want that to seem like a slam on either of those 2, but that line combination cannot continue to exist.

Brown has played his best with Kopi, Richards has played his best with Carter. Those 2 combinations are going to have to be the catalyst for this teams offensive production and that's that.

In terms of a trade there are going to be several teams that are as desperate(or even more so) than the Kings who will be willing to part with better players/prospects for someone like Vanek or Moulson. I certainly wouldn't be willing to give up Toffoli or Pearson + prospects and or picks for 2 months of either of those 2 guys.

Going forward I propose:

Brown Kopitar Toffoli
Carter Richards Williams
King Stoll Lewis
Nolan Fraser Clifford/Fratin

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Things are really bleak at the moment, but simply scoring some mother effing power play goals would do wonders for this team. Unfortunately, I can't imagine these guys changing their PP fortunes with the way they run it. It's a god damn embarrassment and sends the team into a minimum four minute funk. Get two power plays back to back? Oh baby, now we are looking at ten minutes of terrible hockey afterwards at a minimum.

My 57 year old mother jumped hard on the bandwagon in '12. Listens to pre-season games on the radio now and was actually watching the last draft and had to tell me about the Zykov trade as I was watching soccer. Always positive about everyone. She texted me and said "something has to be done".

Gentlemen, my mother has spoken.

That's just great! :laugh:

The power play. The team stresses cycling, they don't practice passing in regular play. To think that all of a sudden the Kings can set up a power play and pass stick to stick/one timers. Just not going to happen.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Well, it's obvious there is a gaping hole on this roster given the constant rotation of wingers we've seen being used in the top six. They fail to produce, so they put players who have historically produced in positions where they can't produce. Is Frattin really giving the team a better chance to win than Toffoli? I just don't get what the coaches or management is looking at sometimes.

The only thing I can come up with is that Lombardi/Sutter are trying to justify the trade for Frattin, seeing how Lombardi and Co talked so highly of the guy as the center point of the deal. But the problem I see with Frattin is he's not adjusting to the style of play in the western conf. and looks damn near lost in our system most nights.

If the guy can't get together, put some one in who can and just move him out.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
They don't have any options , Pearson is not even ready to play bottom six minutes.

So Lombardi screwed the pooch hoping Frattin would be enough on the left side.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The hole in the top six and their insistence on using Frattin there reminds me of when the Kings would bring in failed experiments like Tomas Vlasak, Jaroslav Bednar, Erik Rasmussen, etc. and try to shovel them and force them into a position where they simply would not succeed at.

Then when they do have a skilled player like a guy like Frolov or Moulson, they try to turn them into grinding checkers. That's the Kings' mantra for you. They want to teach them how to compete and pretty much destroy all skill and creativity.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Toffoli's dilemma is that he's got Williams and Carter above him. He's not a bottom six kind of player. He did perform fairly well while he was in for Carter, but you're not going to keep him in and force Carter into a lesser role. It's the same with Williams who has been quietly productive, though perhaps not lately.

Williams is a moveable piece, I think, not for any reason against him, but because I think he could be part of a move that allows us to plug a hole and Toffoli can take over for him.

It just depends on whether Toffoli is ready(like Voynov taking over for Jack Johnson) and if there's something out there we can get for Williams that makes the team better.

That's all I got for now. I don't think 3rd/4th line minutes are gonna work for a guy like Toffoli.

But hey, trading Toffoli isn't out of the question either. Now before people crawl up my ass, it all just depends on what's out there and what we can get. Keeping Toffoli around in the AHL forever isn't going to work for him or the team. If he can't consistently crack the roster, shipping him in a package for someone else could be ideal.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Sutters quotes:
On the Dwight King-Anze Kopitar-Trevor Lewis line:
They were very effective, weren’t they? [Reporter: What was behind the decision to put them together?] Trying to get spread out a little bit. Kopi’s been pretty much carrying a lot of the load. Get two guys with him that forecheck a little bit more, and that’s what Kinger and Lewie did. Heck, they scored a goal. I mean, ‘behind it?’ You’re trying to get some guys to score goals.

On Trevor Lewis:
I mean, he’s got some confidence in his game. He’s been good on this trip forechecking. We’ll see.

On whether the Kings and Ducks are evenly matched teams:
Right now it’s not because it’s hard to tell who their third and fourth lines are. Look at the difference. Tonight – who scored the winning goal for them? [Reporter: Bonino’s a pretty good player.] That was pretty effective. It doesn’t matter. I mean, you’ve got to be able to spread it out, and at the same time you’ve got to be able to at least saw it off, and that’s two games in a row where the kids on our fourth line got scored against, and they’re big goals. On road, it’s such a fine line.

Which kids were one the fourth line tonight?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Lewis is a phenomenal energy player and is great at forechecking. Doesn't surprise me at all that he's one of Sutter's favorites. Probably the hardest working skater on the Kings. His levels of energy are insane. Must be in amazing shape.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Think we should start getting concerned yet? Kings have a three point separation from the 8th and final playoff spot in the West.

They're playing their way down the standings. Yes I know that's where they finished in 2012, but consider the fact that it has only been done once in the history of this league. And we saw how important home ice advantage was in the playoffs in 2013.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Toffoli's dilemma is that he's got Williams and Carter above him. He's not a bottom six kind of player. He did perform fairly well while he was in for Carter, but you're not going to keep him in and force Carter into a lesser role. It's the same with Williams who has been quietly productive, though perhaps not lately.

Williams is a moveable piece, I think, not for any reason against him, but because I think he could be part of a move that allows us to plug a hole and Toffoli can take over for him.

It just depends on whether Toffoli is ready(like Voynov taking over for Jack Johnson) and if there's something out there we can get for Williams that makes the team better.

That's all I got for now. I don't think 3rd/4th line minutes are gonna work for a guy like Toffoli.

But hey, trading Toffoli isn't out of the question either. Now before people crawl up my ass, it all just depends on what's out there and what we can get. Keeping Toffoli around in the AHL forever isn't going to work for him or the team. If he can't consistently crack the roster, shipping him in a package for someone else could be ideal.

Why not move Carter to 2nd line center and put Toffoli on his RW like we did late last year?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Williams would be the best player in any trade that went down....you would be trading the Kings best possession winger and second most producing winger, so we can see if Toffoli can match his production , which would likely not happen till Toffloi had 300 NHL games under his belt....Toffoli is also never going to posses the puck like williams.

That is the defenition of stupid.

If you have too have Toffoli in the top six....

Richards /Carter/Toffoli.

Its not like Richards is scoring goals at Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad