Post-Game Talk: #52: 4 Oilers at FLYERS 5 (OT), Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I don't think there are any 'Hakstol lovers', rather the trash talk is between those who think this team isn't that good and blaming Hakstol is just a way of maintaining a delusion and those who really think that Hakstol is the only reason this team has been mediocre for 7 years.

i dont think there are any hakstol lovers but i need something to fit my wrestling narrative.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as Laughton and Vorobyev.

Laughton is a fine bottom six LW, he's been a "fail" at center because he lacks vision and can't handle the defensive responsibility. At wing he uses his speed to be a solid forechecker, he's become a good PK guy, he has a good shot but limited creativity. Solid depth on the 4th line, a decent 3LW that you'll always look to upgrade.
But if someone makes a solid offer, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Vorobyev has above average vision and passing skills, but his skating really is meh, in today's NHL, a meh skater has to have great anticipation and hockey IQ to compensate, I just don't see it. I think he could be a decent center in the right situation, with two fast wings that can compensate, and he can set them up with good scoring chances. But there's a bit of Varone in him, a guy who should excel in the AHL but may not have the requisite skill set to start and play at a high level in the NHL.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Well, what do you think their record would be under Gordon without Hart?
My guess would be 7-12-2. That's a 62 point pace, far worse than the 74 points pace under Hakstol.

It's all a matter of Hart, this game is a perfect example, maybe Hart's second worst game, yet he kept them in it when they were being totally dominated, despite not being able to make the big saves we've become accustomed to him making.
1st two periods, SCF/SA 4/18, HDCF/CA 1/13. That's horrible, not bad, absolutely putrid against Edmonton on the road.
Hart bought them time to find some cojones and Edmonton's fresh legs stop being fresh in the 3rd period.

If I'm Fletcher, watching this win streak, I go, goalie, check, forwards, needs a lot of work, defense, needs a lot of work.

It was not a good game for Provorov, showing the effects of overwork. Sanheim didn't play well either.
Nor should Hagg/Gudas be a defensive pair, that's been obvious to everyone but the HC. Both struggle to handle and clear the puck.
Meanwhile MacDonald has another solid game, 57.9 Corsi, SCF/CA 6/1, HDCF/CA 6/1.

Was Lindblom hurt? He only played 5:52 at 5x5.

They got the breaks on the PP, and picked it up to finish the game, but overall not a good showing.

Vorobyev, Varone, Raffl are worse than VdV, PEB, and whoever was on their RW.
Raffl has really fallen off the cliff the second half of this season, he still tries hard, but the end is nigh.

Get the f*** out. Nobody is worse than that turd.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
the Dream is certainly up there for me.

other favorites - of course Flair
Piper - imo Piper from about 82 (pre WWF) to about 86 was the best ever. Piper came to wWF early 84.
Captain Redneck Murdoch - he was hysterical. Youtube used to have more of his promos but when he brought his A game he was pure gold.
Dr David Schtulz - Steve austin is just a water downed/commercialized version of Dr D. kind of like Yes or Genesis early to mid 70's work compared to the commercialized pop trite tracks from the 80's.

CpNF.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Any good team, they can dominate us 5x5 and they'll take their chances against a rookie goaltender.
Don't confuse a hot streak with a hot goalie with being a good team.
Last year's second half streak was much more impressive, when you win with crap goalies, you're actually a good team.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Any good team, they can dominate us 5x5 and they'll take their chances against a rookie goaltender.
Don't confuse a hot streak with a hot goalie with being a good team.
Last year's second half streak was much more impressive, when you win with crap goalies, you're actually a good team.

Let it go. Hak is gone. Get therapy or something.

Still some improving to do but the team isn't being knee-capped by a beet head coach and his love of trash.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Austin was good. But this is choreographed stuff.
But I hate Mcmahon's version of wrestling.

I prefer the old blood and guts southern wrestlin style.
I miss the days of the old territories. That stuff was raw.

I’m just kidding. I only watched wrestling growing up as a kid which was in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. I really only watched WWF but sometimes WCW.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Austin was good. But this is choreographed stuff.
But I hate Mcmahon's version of wrestling.

I prefer the old blood and guts southern wrestlin style.
I miss the days of the old territories. That stuff was raw.

Was watching videos of Ole Anderson turning on Dusty Rhodes this morning from 1980 or something . Good times

Last edited:
Reactions: magnumpi

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Was watching videos of Ole Anderson turning on Dusrty Rhodes this morning from 1980 or something . Good times

that's a classic video. You knew it was fake but they made you believe it was real.
"Ole Anderson it will never be over"

Then there's a video from around 1982 with Piper turning baby face. That shit was pure gold.

Piper, Ole Anderson, Don Muraco, Ivan Koloff, Gordon Solie were all amazing in that clip.

That sort of material is irreplaceable and gone forever.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Striker, "Deadhead it will never be over until one of us is banned permanently from this message board. You better believe it daddy."

Reactions: Lotusflower

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Striker, "Deadhead it will never be over until one of us is banned permanently from this message board. You better believe it daddy."

Nah, I just object to silliness. Like I pointed out, certain people wear orange colored glasses and think Hakstol was the source of all evil.

It's obvious that the 'turnaround' is Carter Hart.
And Hart only came up b/c every other goalie was injured, I mean when the alternative is McKenna, nuff said.
The team consistently gets beat in terms of possession and scoring chances, the defense is far worse since Hakstol was fired.

Part of the problem is Gordon isn't a good coach.
Part of the problem is as I've said for two years, this is the "island of misfit toys."
This Flyers team doesn't lack talent, it just doesn't fit together well.

The good news is the young players are developing, and that is Gordon's forte, he's not a good tactical coach, but he is a good communicator.
The better news is more young talent is on its way, but people need to be patient, it will take a couple years for players like Frost, Farabee, Myers, etc. to be needle movers.

The unknown is whether Fletcher is the man to make the right moves to finish the job.
Changes need to be made, not dumping scrubs, that's easy when you have enough prospects on the way, but shuffling players and adding/subtracting so that your talented players are a better fit.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nah, I just object to silliness. Like I pointed out, certain people wear orange colored glasses and think Hakstol was the source of all evil.

It's obvious that the 'turnaround' is Carter Hart.
And Hart only came up b/c every other goalie was injured, I mean when the alternative is McKenna, nuff said.
The team consistently gets beat in terms of possession and scoring chances, the defense is far worse since Hakstol was fired.

Part of the problem is Gordon isn't a good coach.
Part of the problem is as I've said for two years, this is the "island of misfit toys."
This Flyers team doesn't lack talent, it just doesn't fit together well.

The good news is the young players are developing, and that is Gordon's forte, he's not a good tactical coach, but he is a good communicator.
The better news is more young talent is on its way, but people need to be patient, it will take a couple years for players like Frost, Farabee, Myers, etc. to be needle movers.

The unknown is whether Fletcher is the man to make the right moves to finish the job.
Changes need to be made, not dumping scrubs, that's easy when you have enough prospects on the way, but shuffling players and adding/subtracting so that your talented players are a better fit.

Hart was brought up....and Lyon was healthy. No need to lie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad