Post-Game Talk: #52: 4 Oilers at FLYERS 5 (OT), Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I recall in the 80’s before we had cable tv, seeing the NWA guys in the wrestling magazines, there was always an allure to them. Then when finally got to see them on TBS, love for both companies was alive
Yup, me too. When I was kid in the 70s, the WWWF was the only wrestling that I could get on TV. It wasn't until we got cable and I got to see some AWA action on ESPN that I finally got to see something else. That being said, I was a huge fan of the WWWF, especially in the mid 70s. The 1977 series of matches between Superstar Billy Graham and Dusty Rhodes were fantastic!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hmm, Berube took over a Lavi coached team that lost the first three games after missing the playoffs the previous year and took them to the playoffs. Man that Lavi sucked. Of course what really happened is Mason, 33-18-7, .917 S%.
That fooled Holmgren into thinking he didn't have to start a rebuild, and wasted two years.

Same thing today, the difference in this team is Hart, 9-5-1, .921 S%, without him their record under Gordon would be worse than under Hakstol. Not that this team needs to be rebuilt from scratch like 2013-14, but it shouldn't fool Fletcher into thinking that the team, outside the goaltender, is a finished product.

Hakstol 91 goals in 31 games = 2.94
Gordon 58 goals in 21 games = 2.76
5x5:
Hakstol, 31g, team Corsi 51.25, GF/GA 66/69, SCF/SCA 619/593, HDCF/CA 278/242
Gordon, 21g, team Corsi 48.39, GF/GA 36/40, SCF/SCA 414/415, HDCF/CA 165/158

The problem with the win streak is it may make it harder to promote and play prospects this year if "win now" takes over.
And if they get close to the playoffs, it's unlikely they deal Simmonds or Raffl.
Gordon's best quality is communication and coaching young players, which is why he was the AHL coach in the first place.
If he pulls off a "Berube," that could set this team back.

Like I said, it's not about Hakstol, it's about being honest about the problems that need to be fixed on this team, and not letting a hot goalie fool Fletcher into thinking "mission accomplished" - we know how that ended.

Why are you judging Gordon now, after so few games with a roster you insist is flawed, when close to 300 games wasn't enough for you to judge Hakstol because the roster had flaws?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Why are you justing Gordon now, after so few games with a roster you insist is flawed, when close to 300 games wasn't enough for you to judge Hakstol because the roster had flaws?

All of a sudden were concerned with promoting and playing prospects, too. Strange how the coach who was literally brought in to do that was given a pass for not playing prospects who were deemed "not ready" but appear to be more than 'ready' under a new coach.

You've gotta have one of these FBI style string diagrams to keep up with the BS that is being spewed, adjusted, and then completely re written by some people around here.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Late 80s NWA was my favorite era

I liked the 85-86 timeframe.
But old clips from 81-83 are great too. Piper was there. One of the biggest mistakes they ever made was letting Piper go to the WWF.

W/o Piper, Wrestlemania would have been a joke. Mcmahon needed a legendary heel like Piper.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
But old clips from 81-83 are great too. Piper was there. One of the biggest mistakes they ever made was letting Piper go to the WWF.

W/o Piper, Wrestlemania would have been a joke. Mcmahon needed a legendary heel like Piper.
Can't argue with that, Piper was the perfect heel for Hogan at that time and one of the best promo guys of all time. If I had a Mt. Rushmore of the best all time talkers in wrestling, it would be Dusty, Flair, Piper and The Rock. Yeah, the Rock spent most of his time with a cheesy company and he was in some pretty forgettable feuds, but on the mic, he was golden.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Can't argue with that, Piper was the perfect heel for Hogan at that time and one of the best promo guys of all time. If I had a Mt. Rushmore of the best all time talkers in wrestling, it would be Dusty, Flair, Piper and The Rock. Yeah, the Rock spent most of his time with a cheesy company and he was in some pretty forgettable feuds, but on the mic, he was golden.

I wouldn't put the Rock there; however I'm not going to argue with you, call you names, and get angry over it either.
I wouldn't put him them there because he represents the Mcmhahon style wrestling.

HOWEVER, I will acknowledge he was great. He is one of the few guys from post 80's era that I could imagine being a legend in the territory days. The Rock would be able to generate Heat at the snap of a finger much like a Piper, Flair, Dusty, etc. So yes under the right circumstances I would have put the Rock up there as well, its just I have such a hatred for what wrestling has become that I can;t honor a representative of that era.

Now, I flamed Steve austin a bit in prior posts but I believe he would thrive during the Territory days too. Actually, the best promo I saw from him was an ECW promo. That was great, right up there with a Dusty, Flair or Piper promo circa 1983. ITs just the cartoonish nature of Mcmahon;s vision holds back guys like the Rock and Austin.

Forgot to add Michael PS Hayes Freebird promos were grade A too.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If I had a Mt. Rushmore of the best all time talkers in wrestling, it would be Dusty, Flair, Piper and The Rock.

Heenan needs to be on there somewhere.

Completely different style obviously, but there's a real argument that he was the most important non-Verne person in the AWA plus the WWF work both as a manager and in studio, Georgia in the late 70s, etc. We won't mention the WCW stuff.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
My great What IF scenario.....

Some people's great What IF scenario may be - what if Tim Kerr was healthy during 87 finals
Or What if Lindros had never been concussed by Kasparitis.

My great what if -
What if Piper never left Jim Crockett Promotions and joined the WWF in early 84? You'd still have Hulkamania but would have Wrestlemania flopped without Piper. Why care without Piper supplying the Heat? It could have been disaster for Mcmahon.

On the Flip side by the end of 84 JCP would have 4 guys who could single handily generated Heat by themselves with a snap of the finger namely, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, and the vastly underrated Tully Blanchard.

I'd put Blanchard as underrated in the annals of wrestling as much as Mark Howe in the sport of hockey.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
My great What IF scenario.....

Some people's great What IF scenario may be - what if Tim Kerr was healthy during 87 finals
Or What if Lindros had never been concussed by Kasparitis.

My great what if -
What if Piper never left Jim Crockett Promotions and joined the WWF in early 84? You'd still have Hulkamania but would have Wrestlemania flopped without Piper. Why care without Piper supplying the Heat? It could have been disaster for Mcmahon.

On the Flip side by the end of 84 JCP would have 4 guys who could single handily generated Heat by themselves with a snap of the finger namely, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, and the vastly underrated Tully Blanchard.

I'd put Blanchard as underrated in the annals of wrestling as much as Mark Howe in the sport of hockey.

what if chicago didn't win the lottery. What if chicago won the lottery and could only leap from one less team. Those are my what if scenarios.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All of a sudden were concerned with promoting and playing prospects, too. Strange how the coach who was literally brought in to do that was given a pass for not playing prospects who were deemed "not ready" but appear to be more than 'ready' under a new coach.

You've gotta have one of these FBI style string diagrams to keep up with the BS that is being spewed, adjusted, and then completely re written by some people around here.
UaLpJOK.jpg

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
The Flyers had better metrics in every category under Hakstol except save percentage, in which case the difference has been massive under Gordon/Hart.

People can try to act like the Flyers’ change in fortunes is due to coaching, but it’s goaltending.

Good for you bud, keep putting in the work and fighting the good fight.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is dead on. That was the type of play that Giroux or Voracek make. Subtle pass using great vision.

I said a few years ago in his 1st SHL season that for a while I thought he had a string of absurd passes that might have been "flukes"... but he ended up doing it so often in the SHL that just had to accept he was a damn good passer, just kept happening.

Though to qualify that he generally made more insane passes when at RW or on right side on the ice, partially as he is a lefty so has more lanes open there.

His IQ is for sure his best attribute. Yeh, he is strong, has a good stick, good shot, nice around net, and can pass... but just almost always in the right spot, sees the game very well.

Crazily enough since he entered the NHL his ExGF rel is second amongst wingers only to Mark Stone... I mean, he has not played the minutes Stone has (though not had easy usage) but still impressive.

I feel like guys like Lindblom are kind of the opposite of the "death by 1000 cuts" players... they win be 1000 cuts. (Kind of like Raffl, very few mistakes, but he is more skilled)

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I said a few years ago in his 1st SHL season that for a while I thought he had a string of absurd passes that might have been "flukes"... but he ended up doing it so often in the SHL that just had to accept he was a damn good passer, just kept happening.

Though to qualify that he generally made more insane passes when at RW or on right side on the ice, partially as he is a lefty so has more lanes open there.

His IQ is for sure his best attribute. Yeh, he is strong, has a good stick, good shot, nice around net, and can pass... but just almost always in the right spot, sees the game very well.

Crazily enough since he entered the NHL his ExGF rel is second amongst wingers only to Mark Stone... I mean, he has not played the minutes Stone has (though not had easy usage) but still impressive.

I feel like guys like Lindblom are kind of the opposite of the "death by 1000 cuts" players... they win be 1000 cuts. (Kind of like Raffl, very few mistakes, but he is more skilled)

This is my hope for his realistic upside. That he ends up being a higher scoring version of Raffl, basically the player that Facebook people want Raffl to be haha. Solid in all 3 zones, on the walls, smart, fiesty but with the ability to put up 50 points and help a 2nd PP unit be effective. That would be such a huge win from a 5th rounder.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Piper was a GOAT heel back then. Only guy who got more heat was the Iron Sheik

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad