Post-Game Talk: #52: 4 Oilers at FLYERS 5 (OT), Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nah, I just object to silliness. Like I pointed out, certain people wear orange colored glasses and think Hakstol was the source of all evil.

It's obvious that the 'turnaround' is Carter Hart.
And Hart only came up b/c every other goalie was injured, I mean when the alternative is McKenna, nuff said.
The team consistently gets beat in terms of possession and scoring chances, the defense is far worse since Hakstol was fired.

Part of the problem is Gordon isn't a good coach.
Part of the problem is as I've said for two years, this is the "island of misfit toys."
This Flyers team doesn't lack talent, it just doesn't fit together well.

The good news is the young players are developing, and that is Gordon's forte, he's not a good tactical coach, but he is a good communicator.
The better news is more young talent is on its way, but people need to be patient, it will take a couple years for players like Frost, Farabee, Myers, etc. to be needle movers.

The unknown is whether Fletcher is the man to make the right moves to finish the job.
Changes need to be made, not dumping scrubs, that's easy when you have enough prospects on the way, but shuffling players and adding/subtracting so that your talented players are a better fit.

Oh, so coaching DOES matter?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Gudas is one of my faves, of course there's a little bias there since he was an Everett Silvertip, like Carter.

Gudas is valuable in many ways to this team. He has regained his ability to play excellent defense. He has an ... okay shot that ... well, never mind on that. He plays well with all of his partners. Plus, he has a "hit the mascot" (Bull Durham reference) reputation that will keep opponents wary of getting run down.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Dave Hakstol is a stupid face

Ah, that's not nice!

In honor of Dave, my Super Bowl snack of choice will be ...

iu

And, of course, a tasty beet margarita!

iu

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Nice win and great comeback. All you need is special teams and good goaltending. Giroux and Hart.

But in reality the Oilers gifted us this win. They went full hakshell in the third after dominating the first two periods.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Well, if it ain't obvious now how deadly the Hax-Hex combo was for this franchise, it ought to be now.

Great games out of Sanheim, Laughton, Patrick and others after that brutal start.

JVR gets a gold star for putting in the work on that killer OT shift.

On the flip side, it's time we get real on Vorobyev here. He's brutal. Send him to LV and let him compete for a spot again next year.

Also, can we please not let Ghost get away with yet another horrendous TO that directly caused a goal. If "whose fault was that" was a stat, he'd lead the league.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The past few pages... phew. I am glad I went to sleep.

We win after being down by 2 for lengthy periods of time and the best thing to be brought up is whining about dem Hakstok haters? Seriously? f*** that beet loving Mongol, the guys play with noticeably greater confidence, and even though their inconsistency is frustrating, at least the games are fun now - and many players get used better (e.g. Sanheim, Hagg, JvR, Patrick).

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Posted in wrong thread. Meant to post it here:

It's hilarious in a painful way (like being killed by a falling piano), the many ways Hak stunk.

- Overplayed goalies
- Useless system
- Awful communicator
- Loved veteran trash
- Played trash way too much
- Played trash over skilled youth
- Terrible in game adjustments
- Utterly baffling promotions/demotions
- Goofy face I wanted to constantly punch

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sure I missed some other failures too.

Gordon isn't great but as has been stated, is at least smart enough to play the good players, youth and slot guys better.

He's a Mensa member compared to man-Beet though :laugh:

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
The past few pages... phew. I am glad I went to sleep.

We win after being down by 2 for lengthy periods of time and the best thing to be brought up is whining about dem Hakstok haters? Seriously? **** that beet loving Mongol, the guys play with noticeably greater confidence, and even though their inconsistency is frustrating, at least the games are fun now - and many players get used better (e.g. Sanheim, Hagg, JvR, Patrick).

Agreed 100%. The team is having fun again. Such a difference in their body language.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Agreed 100%. The team is having fun again. Such a difference in their body language.

Even then, some will still choose to read my post in a strawmanish way as "Hakstok lover, he thinks Jeff f***ed up everything and without him, we would have won the Cup this year" - which certainly is not the case. I am glad to see things many pointed out as mishandled (communication, talent deployment, handling veteran players, motivation, special teams) changed for the better and I am damn happy to compare that to the former guy. Because as far as coaching doesnt really matter that much, this is better.

Just work on the conisistency please...

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Orange suit man is a season ticket holder, I believe.

That or we have a weird coincidence of going to the same games.
They showed him and the guy in the chicken costume when Lou announced free Chick-fil-a after the fourth goal. They got a lot of cheers so I figured they might be known by fans who go to games regularly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hmm, Berube took over a Lavi coached team that lost the first three games after missing the playoffs the previous year and took them to the playoffs. Man that Lavi sucked. Of course what really happened is Mason, 33-18-7, .917 S%.
That fooled Holmgren into thinking he didn't have to start a rebuild, and wasted two years.

Same thing today, the difference in this team is Hart, 9-5-1, .921 S%, without him their record under Gordon would be worse than under Hakstol. Not that this team needs to be rebuilt from scratch like 2013-14, but it shouldn't fool Fletcher into thinking that the team, outside the goaltender, is a finished product.

Hakstol 91 goals in 31 games = 2.94
Gordon 58 goals in 21 games = 2.76
5x5:
Hakstol, 31g, team Corsi 51.25, GF/GA 66/69, SCF/SCA 619/593, HDCF/CA 278/242
Gordon, 21g, team Corsi 48.39, GF/GA 36/40, SCF/SCA 414/415, HDCF/CA 165/158

The problem with the win streak is it may make it harder to promote and play prospects this year if "win now" takes over.
And if they get close to the playoffs, it's unlikely they deal Simmonds or Raffl.
Gordon's best quality is communication and coaching young players, which is why he was the AHL coach in the first place.
If he pulls off a "Berube," that could set this team back.

Like I said, it's not about Hakstol, it's about being honest about the problems that need to be fixed on this team, and not letting a hot goalie fool Fletcher into thinking "mission accomplished" - we know how that ended.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers had better metrics in every category under Hakstol except save percentage, in which case the difference has been massive under Gordon/Hart.

People can try to act like the Flyers’ change in fortunes is due to coaching, but it’s goaltending.

Reactions: renberg

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Was that the Von Erichs and Thunderbirds? That was my jam.
A couple of the Von Erichs were in and out of the NWA at that time, but they were mainly featured in WCCW out of Dallas. The guys and feuds that I loved in the late 80s NWA were Flair/Steamboat, the Road Warriors, the Horsemen, Dusty (more for the promos than his in ring action by that point), Nikita Koloff, The Steiners and a young kid named Sting. It was just good old, hard hitting wrassling. I did enjoy the attitude era, at least the early part from 97-99 in the WWF, but, for the most part, it's just too over the top and scripted. However, they do feature some fantastic in-ring performers who I'll tune in and watch at big events. Also, for 9.99 a month the WWE network is well worth it, there is so much good stuff on there that any fan of pro wrestling will enjoy it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->