50 in 50 Tracker

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Funny how the rules change when a Leafs player is involved. Cam Neelys 50 in 44 is celebrated and hailed as one of the most productive 50 goal seasons, and he got his 50th in the Bruins’ 66th game.

Keep moving the goal posts, HFboards. All you’re proving is how insecure you all are

Leafs fan here. The goal posts never moved, the thread was always about 50 goals in the teams first 50 games. How do I know? I'm the OP.

Now, it's really cool and an amazing feat if Matthew's gets 50 in his first 50, but he wouldn't reach it according to this thread or the NHL.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Leafs fan here. The goal posts never moved, the thread was always about 50 goals in the first 50 games. How do I know? I'm the OP.

Now it's really cool and an amazing feat of Matthew's gets 50 in his first 50, but he wouldn't reach it according to this thread or the NHL.

Yea official 50 in 50 has always been 50 goals in the teams first 50 games.

There’s a few informal 50 in 50s where it’s 50 goals in the players first 50 games, but those are always asterisked.

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
If Matthew scores 50 in HIS first 50 games, the league is going to find a way to make a big deal out of it, and HFBOARDS will too. Some people are such sticklers for the rules.... yeesh!

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If Matthew scores 50 in HID first 50 games, the league is going to find a way to make a big deal out of it

Well they should. 50 in a players first 50 games is still a ridiculous accomplishment - and one that hasn't been accomplished in around 25 years. It won't be an official 50 in 50, but the league should still be celebrating their stars whenever they can.

Mario managed an official 50 in 50 in 1989, but the league should have made a bigger deal than they did out of his unofficial 50 in 50 in 1993 (during his season which was broken up by cancer), and they should have made a bigger deal than they did out his unofficial 50 in 50 in 1996 (considering he had missed the entire previous season due to injury and had only played 22 games in the season before that). The league should have tried to expand the viewership of the game promoting the absurd feat Mario was accomplishing - 50 goals in less than 50 games - while battling cancer. 50 goals in 50 games - while coming back from what would have been career ending injuries for most. Should have used that transcend the sport. But it wasn't an official 50 in 50 (not that the NHL would promoted him like other sports would have and do even it was).

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
50 in first 50 is pretty special. Not as important as true 50-in-50, but pretty awesome.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
If Matthew scores 50 in HID first 50 games, the league is going to find a way to make a big deal out of it, and HFBOARDS will too. Some people are such sticklers for the rules.... yeesh!

Yes the league will..... and rightfully so

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Just curious, but if Nylander comes back and somehow miraculously scores 50 in the teams next 50 games, does it not count?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If Matthew scores 50 in HID first 50 games, the league is going to find a way to make a big deal out of it, and HFBOARDS will too. Some people are such sticklers for the rules.... yeesh!
There’s a reason why Neely’s 50 goals in 44 games played isn’t mentioned by the league for 50 in 50 scorers.

Stupid or not, the league doesn’t hold it in the same place.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Right. The Rocket had only 50GP to do that. Now they all have 82GP. It should be now about reaching goal scoring level 1G/GP over the season like it was for Richards.

Aaaaaand... If someone can make it to GPG these days playing more than 50GP out of maximum 82GP of his team, sure it would count something, right?

Traditional 50-in-50 definition is pure scrap-bin worthy stats with hardly any real true meaning anymore. I take it that way it actually humiliate the past legends achievements in it's moronic definition. How we can take it as meaningful achievement in circumstances you must score 82 or more goals in a season to reach equivalent achievement?

I won't burn my pants for this, tho. ;)

This is a lousy standard.

People do realize that Richard scored 50 in 50 in the war years (and never hit 50 again, even though the schedule was increased) and literally 50 in 50 means 50 goals in 50 games, it's not a difficult concept for most people.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No offense meant, but is this thread really needed or make sense? I honestly don't see anyone, Laine or not, ever hitting 50 in 50 in todays game, unless there is drastic changes to the game, that massively increase scoring. I mean Stamkos hit 60 once, in 2009-2010 I believe, but we are lucky now to have even 1 guy hit 50 for the whole season, let alone 50 in 50.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
No offense meant, but is this thread really needed or make sense? I honestly don't see anyone, Laine or not, ever hitting 50 in 50 in todays game, unless there is drastic changes to the game, that massively increase scoring. I mean Stamkos hit 60 once, in 2009-2010 I believe, but we are lucky now to have even 1 guy hit 50 for the whole season, let alone 50 in 50.

Is any thread ever really needed? You are free to skip over it, or if it really bugs you, ignore the thread.

This isn't the 1st year it was posted and wont be the last.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Right. The Rocket had only 50GP to do that. Now they all have 82GP. It should be now about reaching goal scoring level 1G/GP over the season like it was for Richards.

Aaaaaand... If someone can make it to GPG these days playing more than 50GP out of maximum 82GP of his team, sure it would count something, right?

Traditional 50-in-50 definition is pure scrap-bin worthy stats with hardly any real true meaning anymore. I take it that way it actually humiliate the past legends achievements in it's moronic definition. How we can take it as meaningful achievement in circumstances you must score 82 or more goals in a season to reach equivalent achievement?
Why do we need to talk about 82 goals in 82 games? Why are you so focused on the length of the season in 1944?

Mike Bossy scored 50 in 50 when the season was 80 games long, Gretzky scored 50 goals in 39 games, 50 goals in 42 games, and 50 goals in 49 games when the season was 80 games...Lemieux scored 50 in 46 games (80 game season), Brett Hull scored 50 in 49 games and 50 in 50 games (80 game season) - why can't the meaningful achievement be to do what all these players did?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Funny how the rules change when a Leafs player is involved. Cam Neelys 50 in 44 is celebrated and hailed as one of the most productive 50 goal seasons, and he got his 50th in the Bruins’ 66th game.

Keep moving the goal posts, HFboards. All you’re proving is how insecure you all are
I've been watching hockey since 1976, and the first time I ever heard of 50 goals in a player's first 50 games being a thing is with Auston Matthews

If Matthews does it he can join Kurri, Mogilny, Lemieux (twice) and Neely as players who have...to be in the other group, he needs to score 50 goals in the team's first 50 games

It's those promoting this new view that are moving the goalposts (the goalposts that have existed for generations), not those pointing to the same standard/record it's always been

Reactions: Dache and Dustin

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is any thread ever really needed? You are free to skip over it, or if it really bugs you, ignore the thread.

This isn't the 1st year it was posted and wont be the last.

Relax, it is not a big deal, just find it kind of silly! Sorry I posted my thoughts in a thread, on a discussion forum!

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Relax, it is not a big deal, just find it kind of silly! Sorry I posted my thoughts in a thread, on a discussion forum!

Super relaxed, just sick of people complaining for the sake of complaining.

The irony of you saying what should or shouldnt be posted then finishing like that is great.

Reactions: Dustin

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
If you don't think a thread should exist, you're better off using the report function to make your case. The moderators can deal with it as they see fit. Posting in the thread that you don't think it should be discussed is the equivalent of walking into a room at a party and asking everyone to be quiet.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If you don't think a thread should exist, you're better off using the report function to make your case. The moderators can deal with it as they see fit. Posting in the thread that you don't think it should be discussed is the equivalent of walking into a room at a party and asking everyone to be quiet.

Not really, I was stating my opinion on the matter. I wasn't asking for a mod to come in and remove or anything! A simple opinion was all it was, and not even a big deal opinion either.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad