50 in 50 Tracker

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
No, it doesn't. No one is out to get your precious Leafs. The definition for the record is 50 goals in your team's first 50 games because that's how Rocket did it.

Right. The Rocket had only 50GP to do that. Now they all have 82GP. It should be now about reaching goal scoring level 1G/GP over the season like it was for Richards.

Aaaaaand... If someone can make it to GPG these days playing more than 50GP out of maximum 82GP of his team, sure it would count something, right?

Traditional 50-in-50 definition is pure scrap-bin worthy stats with hardly any real true meaning anymore. I take it that way it actually humiliate the past legends achievements in it's moronic definition. How we can take it as meaningful achievement in circumstances you must score 82 or more goals in a season to reach equivalent achievement?

I won't burn my pants for this, tho. ;)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Right. The Rocket had only 50GP to do that. Now they all have 82GP. It should be now about reaching goal scoring level 1G/GP over the season like it was for Richards.

Aaaaaand... If someone can make it to GPG these days playing more than 50GP out of maximum 82GP of his team, sure it would count something, right?

Traditional 50-in-50 definition is pure scrap-bin worthy stats with hardly any real true meaning anymore. I take it that way it actually humiliate the past legends achievements in it's moronic definition. How we can take it as meaningful achievement in circumstances you must score 82 or more goals in a season to reach equivalent achievement?

I won't burn my pants for this, tho. ;)

It's the NHL tracking this record, not me. And it's all about tradition.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It's the NHL tracking this record, not me. And it's all about tradition.

Yep. Not your fault, not mine. NHL should track something else. Or at least expand the definition of this extremely rare feat, to meet better with current format and schedule of the league.

They could track something that makes more sense and is actually achievable feat. For example 20-in-20 (any consecutive 20 games for a player), 0.5 GPG or more seasons for a player etc.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Matthews now has 15 in his last 15 regular season games and Laine has 17 in his last 17 and 16 in his last 11 regular season games. If either player pushes it to 25 in 25 or 30 in 30 I'm sure we're all going to talk about it anyway even if it's not an official thing...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Laine is currently in his best career goal scoring period of consecutive regular season 50GPs, having now 35-in-50. Second best 50GP period was 33-in-50.

Don't know about Matthews' stats in this matter tho. Hopefully someone else check them.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Amazing how no one here questioned the 50 in 50 concept until a Leafs player was impacted

It’s especially funny to see people complaining that it being the team’s first 50 is arbitrary when the 50 mark is already arbitrary

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Is Laine not actually still super close to the actual stat? 19 in 23 is still super impressive!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I get the frustration and it's 25 years ago or so that Bruins fans dealt with it in regards to Neely.

But an easy way to see how it's thought of is how many of you realize Cam Neely is second fastest, only behind Gretzky 2X? With 50 in his first 44 - but missed 20 games.

And how many of you knew that before Matthews went on his tear ?

Neely (and Bruins fans) never got any sympathy for that then either - as it's just the way it's tracked. And understandably so.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Wonder if Pastrnak would still be on track if Bergeron and the Bruins whole defence hadn't gone down. He was feeding Pasta some beautiful passes before he got injured. could'a would'a should'a - never know.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Nope. Double that and you get 38-in-46.

Would still require 4 consecutive hat trick games to make it. Tall order.
How is that not impressive?

And tall order but it doesnt need to be 4 consecutive hat tricks. Highly improbable but hes been on a fire streak lately and although i doubt he can build on that streak it would be cool to see

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
How is that not impressive?

And tall order but it doesnt need to be 4 consecutive hat tricks. Highly improbable but hes been on a fire streak lately and although i doubt he can build on that streak it would be cool to see

I didn't say it is not impressive. I answered to your question.

His pace isn't enough good considering how many games are still left, and every game he plays without being capable to make surplus goals above GPG level, cause directly that more he needs to score in those games still left. If he continue with this incredible pace to game 46, he still have to score 12G in 4 games left.

Very impressive (0.826G/GP over 23GP), but still so far from actually making it to 50-in-50. That's what I meant.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I didn't say it is not impressive. I answered to your question.

His pace isn't enough good considering how many games are still left, and every game he plays without being capable to make surplus goals above GPG level, cause directly that more he needs to score in those games still left. If he continue with this incredible pace to game 46, he still have to score 12G in 4 games left.

Very impressive (0.826G/GP over 23GP), but still so far from actually making it to 50-in-50. That's what I meant.

He just needs a couple more 5 goals game ;)

Reactions: Se829ne

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
He just needs a couple more 5 goals game ;)

Yeah. Something like that.

Actually if being precise, he would need repeat his career best 27GP long goal scoring period of 23 goals from the last spring, and score 8 more goals upon that. 27 games left is enough long period you can fit his past career's typical streaks and slumps to it several times, so the past doesn't particularly support that the repeat would be likely thing to happen, consistency-wise. He haven't been notoriously good in building incredibly long goal scoring streaks (max 6GP of 10G), tho neither his longest goal scoring slumps are that long (7GP twice).

Just for underscoring how incredibly difficult achievement it is, and particularly so when restraining it to a team's first 50GP of a season, how irrational that ever can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad