50 in 50 Tracker

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Right. The Rocket had only 50GP to do that. Now they all have 82GP. It should be now about reaching goal scoring level 1G/GP over the season like it was for Richards.

Aaaaaand... If someone can make it to GPG these days playing more than 50GP out of maximum 82GP of his team, sure it would count something, right?

Traditional 50-in-50 definition is pure scrap-bin worthy stats with hardly any real true meaning anymore. I take it that way it actually humiliate the past legends achievements in it's moronic definition. How we can take it as meaningful achievement in circumstances you must score 82 or more goals in a season to reach equivalent achievement?

I won't burn my pants for this, tho. ;)

But, if a player scores 50 goals in 50 games during a season, why would it matter if the team players another 32 games if the player scored 50 goals in the first 50 games he plays in a season?

Is it not the same thing?

Like, if a player scores 50 goals in his 50 first games of a season or less, that's still extremely impressive even if they missed a game or more due to injury or something, no?

Like officially, yeah it wouldn't count, but I feel that's still extremely awesome for modern day standards and the player should get credit at the very least.

Reactions: Peggy

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Is it not the same thing?

Like, if a player scores 50 goals in his 50 first games of a season or less, that's still extremely impressive even if they missed a game or more due to injury or something, no?

Like officially, yeah it wouldn't count, but I feel that's still extremely awesome for modern day standards and the player should get credit at the very least.

It is almost the same thing in term of exploit and the more we get away from the 50 games season the more the distinction become strange.

But think about it this way, if the NHL change the rules and the schedule become a 126 games seasons, people would start to look and talk about the ranking/points/goals made by the (80-82 or 84) games (of their team game total not players played) mark, for some gross unperfect estimate of what they would have done in what they see as a "regular season" in their head.

All of the sudden, if people start breaking or getting close to Gretzky record under the 126 games schedules, the talk about achieving to do more than 92 goals or 215 points by the 80 game mark would start among the fans and media and doing it by your team 80 games mark being the Greztky condition equivalent, not the player 80 games.

In today hockey, 40 in 40, 50 in 60, etc... would all be quite incredible, same for 50 and 50 if you need to take the last stretch of the previous season and the beginning of the newer one to make it.

But the 50 in 50 was a way to say I would have achieve to tie/beat the goal record if the nhl would have not all changed the schedule and resetting all the records by doing so.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don’t think that’s the same thing.

Because 50 in 50 is 50 goals in 50 games.

If the league expanded to more games and a player beat Gretzky’s record, it would be looked at the same way people look at cups before expansion. So Gretzky would still be considered the guy and anyone who beat it would have a *
beside their name.

I just don’t think missing some games on your way to doing 50 in 50 is the same thing as getting more games to do it

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
@Cor Any prolonged period of time when a player (in his personal games) can maintain average GPG or higher is incredible achievement. You can ready my comments in this thread so I don't have to repeat and rewrite them again. I argue against irrationality "of team's first 50 games", not against that such long periods of GPG wouldn't be true achievements.

The achievement NHL tracks now should be 82-in-82 as the season is now 82GP (how improbable it maybe someone could ever achieve it anymore), as it is equivalent to 50-in-50 in 50GP long season.

People seems not to see that "50-in-50" = GPG goal scoring level in the original 50GP/season environment where it was devised as a name of accomplishment. When league became longer, they forgot change the definition, and continued apply and track it only for 50 first games. You can slide 50 games block over 82GP (max GPs for a team) quite a many steps, but somehow incredible achievement of maintaining GPG level over every other 50GP blocks is considered only worthy as a side-note. It makes no sense, particularly when it seems that statistically it's easier to score goals during starts of seasons.

Someone someday, manages to score 50G in his 50 consecutive games, and it's not even considered achievement officially because it doesn't meet some ancient criteria that ceased to exist already several eras ago. That sucks!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@Cor Any prolonged period of time when a player (in his personal games) can maintain average GPG or higher is incredible achievement. You can ready my comments in this thread so I don't have to repeat and rewrite them again. I argue against irrationality "of team's first 50 games", not against that such long periods of GPG wouldn't be true achievements.

The achievement NHL tracks now should be 82-in-82 as the season is now 82GP (how improbable it maybe someone could ever achieve it anymore), as it is equivalent to 50-in-50 in 50GP long season.

People seems not to see that "50-in-50" = GPG goal scoring level in the original 50GP/season environment where it was devised as a name of accomplishment. When league became longer, they forgot change the definition, and continued apply and track it only for 50 first games. You can slide 50 games block over 82GP (max GPs for a team) quite a many steps, but somehow incredible achievement of maintaining GPG level over every other 50GP blocks is considered only worthy as a side-note. It makes no sense, particularly when it seems that statistically it's easier to score goals during starts of seasons.

Someone someday, manages to score 50G in his 50 consecutive games, and it's not even considered achievement officially because it doesn't meet some ancient criteria that ceased to exist already several eras ago. That sucks!

But isn't 82 in 82 a hell of a lot harder than 50 in 50? Like I don't see how that is equivalent, seeing as if someone did do that, it would be so impressive the 50 in 50's look like not that great anymore. 82 in to me would be close to Gretzky's 50 in 36 or whatever it was.

We realize it was derived from scoring 50 goals in a 50 game season, but someone scoring 50 goals in 50 games these days would be the exact same accomplishment, whether it be the first 50 games of the season, or a players first 50 games of the season.

I mean, in general, it's very unlikely to ever happen again, but, my vote would be if someone scored 50 goals in their first 50 games of the season, add em to the list.

Reactions: Peggy

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
But isn't 82 in 82 a hell of a lot harder than 50 in 50? Like I don't see how that is equivalent, seeing as if someone did do that, it would be so impressive the 50 in 50's look like not that great anymore. 82 in to me would be close to Gretzky's 50 in 36 or whatever it was.

We realize it was derived from scoring 50 goals in a 50 game season, but someone scoring 50 goals in 50 games these days would be the exact same accomplishment, whether it be the first 50 games of the season, or a players first 50 games of the season.

I mean, in general, it's very unlikely to ever happen again, but, my vote would be if someone scored 50 goals in their first 50 games of the season, add em to the list.

You realise that technically, 80 in 80 has been done twice so far yet nobody really cares, the 50 in 50 remains the mythical one.

Reactions: Dustin

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Funny how the rules change when a Leafs player is involved. Cam Neelys 50 in 44 is celebrated and hailed as one of the most productive 50 goal seasons, and he got his 50th in the Bruins’ 66th game.

Keep moving the goal posts, HFboards. All you’re proving is how insecure you all are

Reactions: ottawa and zeke

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Funny how the rules change when a Leafs player is involved. Cam Neelys 50 in 44 is celebrated and hailed as one of the most productive 50 goal seasons, and he got his 50th in the Bruins’ 66th game.

Keep moving the goal posts, HFboards. All you’re proving is how insecure you all are

Officially, a player must score 50 goals in his team's first 50 games of a season.
That has been done eight times by five players: Maurice Richard, Mike Bossy, Wayne Gretzky (three times), Mario Lemieux and Brett Hull (twice). Hull was the last to do it, in 1990-91 and 1991-92.

There's no goal posts being moved. I watched Cam Neely do his but it is not considered a true 50/50. Neither would Matthews (unless he can get 35 in the next 22) or anyone for that matter that can't do it within the teams first 50 games.

Reactions: sharks9

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
That a really old rules:
50 goals in 50 games - Wikipedia

Ovechkin can reach modern version of storied 50 in 50 - NHL.com - News
That has been done eight times by five players: Maurice Richard, Mike Bossy, Wayne Gretzky (three times), Mario Lemieux and Brett Hull (twice). Hull was the last to do it, in 1990-91 and 1991-92.

Cam Neely has always been in the other players did it in their first 50 games because of injuries or other circumstance. This is not from Hfboards.

Literally posted the exact same thing. Lol

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Who cares if it’s not according to the NHLs particular rules for this particular record. Still would be a really cool feat to accomplish.

I hope Matthews hits 50 on the year which would be a cool mark to hit in a season where he’s missed a good chunk of games already.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Who cares if it’s not according to the NHLs particular rules for this particular record. Still would be a really cool feat to accomplish.

I hope Matthews hits 50 on the year which would be a cool mark to hit in a season where he’s missed a good chunk of games already.
Because eventually, if the NHL doesn’t recognize it, the feat gets diminished. In 1994 Cam Neely scores 50 goals in his 44th game of the season but it’s not as remembered as others doing it where the league recognizes it.

Reactions: Dustin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad