50 in 50 Tracker

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
No offense meant, but is this thread really needed or make sense? I honestly don't see anyone, Laine or not, ever hitting 50 in 50 in todays game, unless there is drastic changes to the game, that massively increase scoring. I mean Stamkos hit 60 once, in 2009-2010 I believe, but we are lucky now to have even 1 guy hit 50 for the whole season, let alone 50 in 50.

thats kind of the point. it would be super rare. its fun to look out for. sure a thread about 10 in 10 might have its requirements met more easily but thats really the whole idea of it. we get excited about something every year and it never happens. its just one of those things. no one made you click it.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
You're about 48 hours and 2 pages late for that particular discussion.
But yet my statement is still accurate and relates to the OP's original post and title of the thread. Not my fault this thread has denegrated itself to Leaf fans trying to move the goal posts for Nostril Matthews.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I've been watching hockey since 1976, and the first time I ever heard of 50 goals in a player's first 50 games being a thing is with Auston Matthews

If Matthews does it he can join Kurri, Mogilny, Lemieux (twice) and Neely as players who have...to be in the other group, he needs to score 50 goals in the team's first 50 games

It's those promoting this new view that are moving the goalposts (the goalposts that have existed for generations), not those pointing to the same standard/record it's always been

I think it would be very cool if Matthews nets 50 in his first 50 games played. I think it would be one of those milestones - especially in this era - that helps to build a case for the HHOF at the end of his career. It would - and should - be a big deal if he achieves it.

But 50 goals scored in the team's first 50 games is 100% a thing and has consistently been applied as the standard by the league. It is absolutely not "new". Heck, even the Wikipedia entry references that criteria:
50 goals in 50 games - Wikipedia

Is it a bizarre standard? Yup. Should it diminish the accomplishment if a player scores 50 in their first 50 games? Nope.

But this insane standard is not new and has not been devised by 'Leaf haters'. If he makes it, Matthews would be credited as an "Unofficial" 50 in 50 guy. Period.

Reactions: FishManSam

member 147413

Lol who gives a shit

If Matthews scores 50 goals while playing only 50 games, it’s still elite and extremely impressive.

There’s so much hate for the potential of a 21 year old hitting an incredible milestone.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
[mod]

Only on HF would Matthews scoring 50 in 50 be a lesser accomplishment because it was not done on game scedule day 50.

The length some take to disparage this kid because he is a Leaf and not named McDavid is sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Lol who gives a ****

If Matthews scores 50 goals while playing only 50 games, it’s still elite and extremely impressive.

There’s so much hate for the potential of a 21 year old hitting an incredible milestone.

Of course it is impressive. It is not an official 50 in 50 though, which is what this thread is about.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
[mod]

Only on HF would Matthews scoring 50 in 50 be a lesser accomplishment because it was not done on game scedule day 50.

The length some take to disparage this kid because he is a Leaf and not named McDavid is sad.

No one is taking anything away from that accomplishment. If he scored 50 goals in 50 games played this season it would be universally considered the best goal scoring season since Mario did it and it would be celebrated accordingly. But the official definition of 50 in 50 is what it is whether we like it or not.

I'm a Leaf fan but the bickering in this thread is so dumb.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
[mod]

Im a Leaf fan and youre being ridiculous.

It isnt an HF thing, it is an NHL condition for the feat. 50 goals in teams 50 GP is the official record. It has nothing to do with Leaf hatred or bias.

Reactions: Dache

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Im a Leaf fan and youre being ridiculous.

It isnt an HF thing, it is an NHL condition for the feat. 50 goals in teams 50 GP is the official record. It has nothing to do with Leaf hatred or bias.
It's a moron thing. It takes the same skill regardless of missing any games.

member 147413

Of course it is impressive. It is not an official 50 in 50 though, which is what this thread is about.
Oh, so a new thread should be started to track Matthews 50 goals in 50 games played?

That’s fine, I’ll use this one. Who cares so much about the “official” qualifiers. To me, it seems as though people are using that to discredit a potentially historic feat.

Reactions: TIGERCOOL

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Some people are oblivious to the petty bias they project.

1) I personally would not consider it "lesser" than other 50 in 50 accomplishments (whether official or unofficial). It would be amazing if Matthews achieves it, particularly in this era. I would cheer.

2) Yes, there are some petty people trolling Leafs fans by trying to diminish what the accomplishment would mean (if he reaches it).

3) There are also some people suggesting that the "official" 50 in 50 criteria of the NHL (50 team games) is somehow "new" or evidence of an anti-Leaf conspiracy. It 100% is not. It is the same (weird) criteria that was applied to other amazing players.
50 goals in 50 games - Wikipedia

4) I completely understand and support Leafs fans in being bothered by this seemingly arbitrary criteria. It is exactly as justified as the bother that fans of the other "unofficial 50/50" players had.

5) All of that being said, if the league decided to revise its 50 in 50 criteria now - after not being swayed by performances by guys named Neely, Mogilny, Bossy, and Lemieux - I think it would create baggage and feed a narrative about preferred franchises. (I would have a hard time believing the league would consider such a change if a player on, say, the Blue Jackets was doing the same thing.)

member 147413

"Lol" what? It is the definition of 50 in 50. New to hockey?
The “definition”? No the definition is scoring 50 goals in 50 games.

What you’re stuck on is whether or not it gets you in some sort of record book.

If a player misses the first game of the season and goes on to score 50 goals in their first 50 games, they won’t be fitted into that NHL definition.

I don’t care, I will view it equally as impressive as anyone scoring 50 goals in 50 games.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I couldn't care less about Matthews or any other player scoring 50 goals in 50 games other than their teams first 50 games. 50 consecutive games from the start of the season is a grind. To score 50 by playing say 25 games, then missing a few weeks due to injury and resting up, then coming back to play the other 25 games taints it for me. Part of the accomplishment is to do it in 50 consecutive games where the wear and tear of that takes it's toll.

Reactions: Zorro

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I couldn't care less about Matthews or any other player scoring 50 goals in 50 games other than their teams first 50 games. 50 consecutive games from the start of the season is a grind. To score 50 by playing say 25 games, then missing a few weeks due to injury and resting up, then coming back to play the other 25 games taints it for me. Part of the accomplishment is to do it in 50 consecutive games where the wear and tear of that takes it's toll.

No, actually it's harder with 50 consecutive games. During an injury, the player has rest and recovery time that you don't normally get.

Cam Neely scoring 50 goals in 44 games, playing through injuries bad enough that his effort landed him the Masterson trophy was one of the most amazing goal scoring feats the league has ever seen - more impressive to me than some of the "official" 50 in 50 performances. Lemieux's unofficial 50 in 50 coming back from cancer and other injuries was also as amazing as other efforts.

You'd have a case if some team had a healthy and elite goal scorer and then only played them against bottom feeder teams over the course of an 82 game season (or something similar to that). But what team would ever do that?

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
The “definition”? No the definition is scoring 50 goals in 50 games.

What you’re stuck on is whether or not it gets you in some sort of record book.

If a player misses the first game of the season and goes on to score 50 goals in their first 50 games, they won’t be fitted into that NHL definition.

I don’t care, I will view it equally as impressive as anyone scoring 50 goals in 50 games.

Wrong, the definition and I'm assuming your reading comprehension is at least at a 4th grade level, states that the player must score 50 goals within the team's first 50 games of the season.

First of all, scoring 50 goals in this day and age is already a big feat so if Matthews does that then kudos to him. Scoring 50 goals within 50 games (but not the teams first 50 games) is nuts BUT that's still not the record.

And don't get me wrong, there's no salt here. I'm a habs fan and i would celebrate the feat if anyone was to do it...regardless of their team or nationality.

Reactions: BayStreetBully

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

The official definition is what it is but this is idiotic. You couldn't care less about something that hasn't been done since Mario over 20 years ago? Something that no one has come even close to doing in the current era of the game?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Lol who gives a ****

It is definitely impressive. Great player and better than I thought he'd be already.
Hopefully he keeps it going and gets onto that 'unofficial' list - as it's a short list also and there's some pretty great players on there like Neely and Kurri.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Some people are oblivious to the petty bias they project.

It really is an NHL thing. 50 goals in the team’s first 50 games is what makes it “official”.

But 50 in Matthews’ first 50 games is still phenomenal. He’d probably win the Hart if he did that.

But I don’t expect Matthews to score 50 goals in 68 games, let alone in 50 games. Even 40-45 goals this year would be a fantastic result.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

You expect us to believe you wouldnt be screaming about it from the rooftops if it was McDavid scoring 50 goals in his first 50 games of the season? Who do you honestly think you're fooling?

Man, I can't imagine ever downplaying any player pulling that off despite my feelings about their team and fans. It's just so beyond petty. Some of you take it all so personally and forget to actually enjoy and appreciate the game of hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->