50 in 50 Tracker

member 147413

Wrong, the definition and I'm assuming your reading comprehension is at least at a 4th grade level, states that the player must score 50 goals within the team's first 50 games of the season.

First of all, scoring 50 goals in this day and age is already a big feat so if Matthews does that then kudos to him. Scoring 50 goals within 50 games (but not the teams first 50 games) is nuts BUT that's still not the record.

And don't get me wrong, there's no salt here. I'm a habs fan and i would celebrate the feat if anyone was to do it...regardless of their team or nationality.
If Matthews scores 50 goals in 50 games. The fact is, he scored 50 in 50. I’m not arguing about the qualifier of scoring 50 in the first 50 games.

I’m arguing, if he scores 50 goals in 50 games, there’s literally, and I say this because it’s what the words and numbers actually mean, no way you can say that he didn’t score 50 in 50.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If Matthews scores 50 goals in 50 games. The fact is, he scored 50 in 50. I’m not arguing about the qualifier of scoring 50 in the first 50 games.

I’m arguing, if he scores 50 goals in 50 games, there’s literally, and I say this because it’s what the words and numbers actually mean, no way you can say that he didn’t score 50 in 50.

It would be historic, official or not. In this day and age of low scoring, to do what Gretzky and Lemieux used to do, is just mind blowing.

I don’t think Matthews comes close to 50 in 50, but... I will go as far as to say that any true hockey fan would want to see Matthews do 50 in 50. If you don’t want to see that, you are not a true hockey fan.

Reactions: Dache

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Some people are oblivious to the petty bias they project.

Only on HF would Matthews scoring 50 in 50 be a lesser accomplishment because it was not done on game scedule day 50.

The length some take to disparage this kid because he is a Leaf and not named McDavid is sad.

As has been said, it's impressive as hell but it's not what 50 in 50 is. It's always been the teams first 50 games and getting to rest for portions of the season is why it is what it is. If someone scored 25 goals in 25 games to end a season and 25 in 25 to start the next, would it be 50 in 50?

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018

Except he didn’t

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Oh, so a new thread should be started to track Matthews 50 goals in 50 games played?

That’s fine, I’ll use this one. Who cares so much about the “official” qualifiers. To me, it seems as though people are using that to discredit a potentially historic feat.

In this thread the official 50 in 50 is (was) being tracked.
If you want to track something else then go ahead, but dont cry because people are sticking to the OP.

member 147413

In this thread the official 50 in 50 is (was) being tracked.
If you want to track something else then go ahead, but dont cry because people are sticking to the OP.
So Matthews is on a pretty good pace to score 50 goals in 50 games. 50 goals in 50. 50 in 50.

I must of missed the OP where it said “This is where we discuss the “official” as defined by NHL rulebooks 50 in 50, nothing else can be discussed.”

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Some people are oblivious to the petty bias they project.

Only on HF would Matthews scoring 50 in 50 be a lesser accomplishment because it was not done on game scedule day 50.

The length some take to disparage this kid because he is a Leaf and not named McDavid is sad.

Not lesser, just different. It is really easy to understand, not sure how there is any confusion.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
So Matthews is on a pretty good pace to score 50 goals in 50 games. 50 goals in 50. 50 in 50.

I must of missed the OP where it said “This is where we discuss the “official” as defined by NHL rulebooks 50 in 50, nothing else can be discussed.”

You did miss that.

The record is about 50 goals in the teams first 50 played. I didnt make up the record, I'm just reporting on what's happening this year.

Next time educate yourself before spouting off an uninformed opinion, here is a good place to start. 50 goals in 50 games - Wikipedia

Also a reminder

No one was whiny last year, which is strange...

The 2017-18 season 50 in 50 Watch Thread

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
You expect us to believe you wouldnt be screaming about it from the rooftops if it was McDavid scoring 50 goals in his first 50 games of the season? Who do you honestly think you're fooling?

Man, I can't imagine ever downplaying any player pulling that off despite my feelings about their team and fans. It's just so beyond petty. Some of you take it all so personally and forget to actually enjoy and appreciate the game of hockey
Believe what you want to believe. The standard is 50 in the first 50 games. The other stuff is still a good achievement. Again, I'm not enough of a fanboy to care if it's McDavid, Gretzky, Matthews or Crosby. It's about the integrity of the NHL standard.

Reactions: Canadian Finn

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Believe what you want to believe. The standard is 50 in the first 50 games. The other stuff is still a good achievement. Again, I'm not enough of a fanboy to care if it's McDavid, Gretzky, Matthews or Crosby. It's about the integrity of the NHL standard.
...only you clearly weren't talking about the integrity of the NHL standard when you stated very clearly that you personally "couldn't care less" about a player scoring 50 goals in his first 50 individual games. That's the part that comes off disingenuous and insecure.

Same goes for anyone who says they wouldn't justifiably go insane if someone like Laine or McDavid did it in the modern era.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
0513H.jpg

Reactions: Dovahkiin

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
...only you clearly weren't talking about the integrity of the NHL standard when you stated very clearly that you personally "couldn't care less" about a player scoring 50 goals in his first 50 individual games. That's the part that comes off disingenuous and insecure.

Same goes for anyone who says they wouldn't justifiably go insane if someone like Laine or McDavid did it in the modern era.
What are you talking about? I was very clear. 50 goals in the teams first 50 games is the standard. It doesn't matter if it's in the players first 50 games, I don't care about that. That's not 50 in 50. Man, why is that so hard to understand?

Reactions: Canadian Finn

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
What are you talking about? I was very clear. 50 goals in the teams first 50 games is the standard. It doesn't matter if it's in the players first 50 games, I don't care about that. That's not 50 in 50. Man, why is that so hard to understand?
I understand perfectly that you're saying you don't care about it. I'm just suggesting that you're saying that because it's Matthews.

You can argue that it's not an official NHL record, and I'd agree, but you and others are being downright dismissive of what a massive accomplishment it would still be in the modern era.

Again, if the shoe was on the other foot and it was McDavid gunning for it I'm certain you would suddenly find it very much worth excitement and discussion in the 50 in 50 thread.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I understand perfectly that you're saying you don't care about it. I'm just suggesting that you're saying that because it's Matthews.

You can argue that it's not an official NHL record, and I'd agree, but you and others are being downright dismissive of what a massive accomplishment it would still be in the modern era.

Again, if the shoe was on the other foot and it was McDavid gunning for it I'm certain you would suddenly find it very much worth excitement and discussion in the 50 in 50 thread.
Well, you'd be wrong.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
But yet my statement is still accurate and relates to the OP's original post and title of the thread. Not my fault this thread has denegrated itself to Leaf fans trying to move the goal posts for Nostril Matthews.
You seem mad. Then again, it looks like you are an Oilers fan so that makes sense.

Lust4LEAFS

London Knights Scout
Jan 28, 2011
London, ON
15 in 14, still on pace, quite remarkable. I love the TSN guys saying the other night that his injury will rob him of the Rocket Richard trophy. He's 6 back, he can easily still win it.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
15 in 14, still on pace, quite remarkable. I love the TSN guys saying the other night that his injury will rob him of the Rocket Richard trophy. He's 6 back, he can easily still win it.

You mean, 15 in 29? Because there have been 29 Leaf games and he has 15 goals. So, in the 50 in 50 competition, he has 15 in 29.

Reactions: varank

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think we need to settle this for once and for all. Matthews has already scored 50 in 50. He's scored 50 goals in the NHL in the last 50 months. Now we can finally put this argument to rest :sarcasm:

Reactions: Dache

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He has 5 goals in his last 9 games and 8 points in his last 8 games. Let's give the 50 in 50 nonsense a rest.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I wonder how many "unofficial" 50 in 50 there's been? Meaning, 50 in personal first 50 games and not team first 50 games. Not any 50 game sample possible. I think Fleury did it at least. Maybe Kurri too?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You mean, 15 in 29? Because there have been 29 Leaf games and he has 15 goals. So, in the 50 in 50 competition, he has 15 in 29.
That's kinda dumb to look at it in that way, throw away the hater and look at it objectively, its 50 goals in 50 games that the player plays in, not the team.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That's kinda dumb to look at it in that way, throw away the hater and look at it objectively, its 50 goals in 50 games that the player plays in, not the team.

Well, technically not. The official 50 in 50 is based on teams first 50 games and there have been other players denied from that accomplishment because they've lost games.

That said, I do hold it as equally (or at least super close to equal) impressive accomplishment if player does it by counting personal games. But that's not the official tracker.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad