5 teams in, 5 teams out

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Toronto is at worst 2nd in the Atlantic

At worst? :laugh:

They are nothin more then a bubble team next season.

MTL and Tampa and one of Boston/Ottawa are going to get the top3 seed in the division. Toronto will again fight for the last wildcard spot.

1-Tampa Bay
2-Montreal
3-Boston/Ottawa

1-Pittsburgh
2-Columbus
3-NYR/Washington

WC1-NYR/Washington
WC2-Boston/Ottawa

Toronto/Flyers/NYI fighting for the WC2 as well

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At worst? :laugh:

They are nothin more then a bubble team next season.

MTL and Tampa and one of Boston/Ottawa are going to get the top3 seed in the division. Toronto will again fight for the last wildcard spot.

1-Tampa Bay
2-Montreal
3-Boston/Ottawa

1-Pittsburgh
2-Columbus
3-NYR/Washington

WC1-NYR/Washington
WC2-Boston/Ottawa

Toronto/Flyers/NYI fighting for the WC2 as well

Yes at worst 2nd in the Atlantic

They finished tied in points With Boston and 3 back of Ottawa, they then proceeded to upgrade their D and their top 6 forwards with Hainsey and Marleau

Now I don't like the cap hit on Hainsey but after watching Hunwick there is no doubt Hainsey is better.

Marleau is a massive upgrade on Hyman, Hyman can't finish to save his life, Marleau can actually finish a play.

While I did want Boyle back, if you do need to replace him, Moore s perfect because Moore is faster and this team relies a lot on speed so he's the perfect fit.

Boston didn't get any better and neither did Ottawa.

Ottawa lost a top 4 d man for nothing and no Johnny Oduya does not replace Methot.

Krejci Backs, Chara and Bergeron are another year older and they aren't exactly spring chickens to begin with and they are a team that didn't get a single point from Toronto last year, Chances are Toronto passes them next year.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

They finished tied in points With Boston and 3 back of Ottawa, they then proceeded to upgrade their D and their top 6 forwards with Hainsey and Marleau

Now I don't like the cap hit on Hainsey but after watching Hunwick there is no doubt Hainsey is better.

Marleau is a massive upgrade on Hyman, Hyman can't finish to save his life, Marleau can actually finish a play.

While I did want Boyle back, if you do need to replace him, Moore s perfect because Moore is faster and this team relies a lot on speed so he's the perfect fit.

Ottawa lost a top 4 d man for nothing and no Johnny Oduya does not replace Methot.

Krejci Backs, Chara and Bergeron are another year older and they aren't exactly spring chickens to begin with and they are a team that didn't get a single point from Toronto last year, Chances are Toronto passes them next year.

I'm pretty sure the average age for Boston will be lower than Toronto next season. A very good mix of younger and older players at all positions but mostly younger.

The Atlantic is way to tight to confirm who is in and out. It could be anyone.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Contrary to what Habs fans believe, others teams in the ATL have improved enough to supplant them.

Like who?

Leafs didn't improve their defense
Tampa will obviously be better than last season, but they still lost a lot of depth (Drouin, Filppula, Boyle)
Ottawa lost Methot, which is a huge blow
Boston has not improved their roster and Pastrnak is still not signed yet
Panthers lost Marchessault, Smith, Jagr
Buffalo might be the only team that really improved. They improved their defense and if their young stars (Eichel and Reinhart) take the next step, which is very likely, they could make a push for the playoffs.
Detroit is detroit...

Habs haven't really improved either, but they were a 103 pt team last season.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Like who?

Leafs didn't improve their defense
Tampa will obviously be better than last season, but they still lost a lot of depth (Drouin, Filppula, Boyle)
Ottawa lost Methot, which is a huge blow
Boston has not improved their roster and Pastrnak is still not signed yet
Panthers lost Marchessault, Smith, Jagr
Buffalo might be the only team that really improved. They improved their defense and if their young stars (Eichel and Reinhart) take the next step, which is very likely, they could make a push for the playoffs.
Detroit is detroit...

Habs haven't really improved either, but they were a 103 pt team last season.

The Habs are pretty significantly weakened on their defense. And have probably one of the top 5 weakest center groups in the league.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sens cup run aside. I'm not really seeing an argument for having either them or the Bruins ahead of Leafs next season.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Toronto were also very lucky with injuries last season.

As for a team who I think will not make it: Nashville.

They just made it last year, and the central division is a bloodbath, minus Colorado.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The Habs are pretty significantly weakened on their defense. And have probably one of the top 5 weakest center groups in the league.

The argument of habs having weak centers depth is said every year, yet the team still always finish with 100+ points.

As for the defense, if Jerabek is the real deal and can replace Markov's offense, then the defense actually got better. If not, then we still have Carey Price, so no matter what d-corp we have we will still be a good defensive team.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
East
---------
Ottawa out

Tampa in

Montreal barely in, then yet another early exit with a meh draft pick

West
---------
Nashville out

Dallas in

Chicago on the bubble but makes it in

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
East
---------
Ottawa out

Tampa in

Montreal barely in, then yet another early exit with a meh draft pick

West
---------
Nashville out

Dallas in

Chicago on the bubble but makes it in

Toronto will miss the playoff for the 11th time in 12 years....Its way better then MTL.

:laugh:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
East

Out: Ottawa and Montreal
In: Tampa and the Isles

West

Out: San Jose
In: Dallas

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I find it pretty silly that so many people believe that after making the Final Four, the Sens will miss the playoffs. I mean, if you think that they won't make the Final Four again that's definitely a fair statement. There's a lot of parity in the league and nothing is a guarantee. But you actually think they'll miss the playoffs after the run they just had? :laugh: That's pretty ridiculous.

Not to mention the struggles they had last season and still managed to finish with 98 points. On the last game of the season Brassard, Karlsson and others weren't dressed in a loss against a non-playoff team. That alone brings them to 100 points. After that you have Anderson (starting goalie) going on personal leave for more than half the season, MacArthur (top 6 forward) joining the team just 4 games before the regular season ends, and going through training camp almost until mid-season adapting to Guy Boucher's systems. The coach himself admitted they barely practiced the PP last season.

Considering all of that, they should be better next season, at least in the regular season. Why would they be worse? Because they lost a 4 dman who was carried by Karlsson? That makes no sense. Especially when you consider the depth that Claesson, Oduya and Harpur are able to provide to soften the 'blow' (not really a blow, but whatever). Oh, and adding the best defensive prospect in Chabot should help things as well... Finally having someone who can take advantage of the open ice Karlsson creates on the back-end. Anyways, I guess Sens fans are used to being the underdogs.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Sens will make the playoffs.

As a Sens fan, what worries me are:

- Karlsson not training much over the summer because of foot injuries. Maybe the rest will be good. I think he made a big change to his summer training last season, bulking up a bit more than usual, and it made a difference. We'll see how he does this fall.

- Anderson staying on top of his game at 36. He's not showing any sign of decline, but he's an extremely athletic goalie -- needs to stay limber and a decline would seriously scuttle this team's chances.

- scoring. Ryan looked great in the playoffs. Can he find his regular season mojo? Will the powerplay finally improve?

But remember that last season, they took a while to adjust to the new system. They were much better by December. I don't think Boucher is going to lose the room, he seems to have a good relationship with his players.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I find it pretty silly that so many people believe that after making the Final Four, the Sens will miss the playoffs. I mean, if you think that they won't make the Final Four again that's definitely a fair statement. There's a lot of parity in the league and nothing is a guarantee. But you actually think they'll miss the playoffs after the run they just had? :laugh: That's pretty ridiculous.

I am not sure why you think that it is silly that some people would suggest a team would fail to make the playoffs after making the final four. In the 11 years since the last lockout (not counting 2017 as we don't know yet) all final four teams made the playoffs the next season only 3 times. History suggests that it is very likely that one of the final four teams in 2017 (and possibly two) will fail to make the playoffs in 2018.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Tampa
Toronto
Ottawa

Pittsburgh
Columbus
NYR
NYI
Carolina

MTL, WSH, BOS out

Edmonton
Anaheim
Calgary

Dallas
Nashville
Winnipeg
Chicago
St Louis/Minnesota

Sharks & one of STL/MIN out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I am not sure why you think that it is silly that some people would suggest a team would fail to make the playoffs after making the final four. In the 11 years since the last lockout (not counting 2017 as we don't know yet) all final four teams made the playoffs the next season only 3 times. History suggests that it is very likely that one of the final four teams in 2017 (and possibly two) will fail to make the playoffs in 2018.

If you are unsure feel free to re-read the rest of my post which explains my reasoning. The part you quoted has a continuation.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015

this is a very good post if true, i hate to be a hater but sens beat the bruins who were the worst playoff team in the league IMO and beat the rangers who bled down the stretch and were a wreck on D.. i know they took the pens to game 7 double OT but the playoffs are a differnet animal its not as if they were a 110 point powerhouse in the regular season....winning a pres trophy and losing in the 1st round is a better indicator that you will make playoffs again over being close to a wild card and getting to the ECF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad