5 teams in, 5 teams out

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
Looking at the standings over the last 2 seasons, I noticed that there was a fairly dramatic change in who qualified for the playoffs year over year. In 2015-2016, 5 teams qualified for the playoffs that did not qualify the previous season. In 2016-2017, 7 new teams qualified for the playoffs that hadn't the season before. So, assuming we get similar changes in the standings, which 5 teams (or more) would you predict make the playoffs and which 5 teams don't? Here are mine:

East In:
Buffalo
Tampa
Carolina

East Out:
Montreal
Ottawa
Boston

West In:
Dallas
LA

West Out:
San Jose
Minnesota

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Looking at the standings over the last 2 seasons, I noticed that there was a fairly dramatic change in who qualified for the playoffs year over year. In 2015-2016, 5 teams qualified for the playoffs that did not qualify the previous season. In 2016-2017, 7 new teams qualified for the playoffs that hadn't the season before. So, assuming we get similar changes in the standings, which 5 teams (or more) would you predict make the playoffs and which 5 teams don't? Here are mine:

East In:
Buffalo
Tampa
Carolina

East Out:
Montreal
Ottawa
Boston

West In:
Dallas
LA

West Out:
San Jose
Minnesota

So you are predicting a Carey Price long term injury this year?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
why no luv for minny? we had 266GF last season even if that drops (with same roster) to 245GF & our GA should be around 200 why would we miss the playoffs? last year we were learning the new BB system , this year i think one of nino ; granlund ; zucker will hit 30G. we could have a monster year if parise ; coyle step up & staal equals last year. only achillies heal could be goaltending.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
West Out
Chicago
San Jose

West In:
Winnipeg
Dallas

East In:
Philadelphia
Tampa

East Out:
Rangers
Montreal

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So you are predicting a Carey Price long term injury this year?

Pretty sure a lot of people see the worst center depth in the league and a overrated defense.

I see Montreal falling back to a wildcard spot and a early playoff exit.

East: Ottawa out, Tampa in.

West: Blackhawks, blues out,
Jets and Dallas in.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Oh damn. I expected this to be a really wild 5 teams out of the NHL-
5 teams in.
Nevertheless,
East In Carolina Tampa
East Out Toronto Boston
West In Jets Dallas LA
West Out Minnesota Blues Calgary

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Pretty sure a lot of people see the worst center depth in the league and a overrated defense.

I see Montreal falling back to a wildcard spot and a early playoff exit.

East: Ottawa out, Tampa in.

West: Blackhawks, blues out,
Jets and Dallas in.

Same centres that won the division last year.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Their an average defensive group. Habs are the worst centers in the league..

That's far form been worst center in the NHL but coming from you(biggest Leaf Fan ever) that's not really relevant.

MTL Center are pretty average but their wingers are top notch.

C-Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Danault-McCarron
W-Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher-Lehkonen-Shaw-Byron-Hemsky

MTL offence will rank around 15th just like last year and the defence will remain top5 for sure with Mr Julien behind the bench.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Contrary to what Habs fans believe, others teams in the ATL have improved enough to supplant them.

Same old song as the last year? :laugh:

Outside of Tampa nobody from this division can catch MTL next year.

Atlantic division:

-Best goaltender
-MTL OTT TB are pretty even for the defence core
-Julien is among the best coach along with Babcock
-Best set of wingers along with Tampa Bay

The division title will be between them and Tampa Bay with Ottawa as darkhorse pick.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I could easily see 5 teams out 5 teams in again. For me i see potential for some serious passing of the torch going on next season, more than ever before.

Teams that could miss, especially if the injury bug hits:

No matter how you twist and turn it the Hawks got worse, Saad is not Panarin, Forsberg is not Darling, Murphy is not Hjalmarsson and relying on a bunch of young guys (especially when they aren't star caliber) is always a question mark. Injuries will happen and as their core are getting older for me the chances of a big name going down sooner rather than later are going up each year. That defense looks catastrophic if Keith or Seabrook go down, not that it looks great even when they're healthy.

Capitals lost 2 of their top 6 guys and 2 significant pieces from their d-core, without bringing anyone in. I don't care if they've been the best team in the regular season for 2 years in a row, parity is so strong that i can easily see them losing those tight games that they won last season. And once it sinks in that they've gone from a team thinking this is the year they win it all to a team just fighting for a playoff spot.. i don't know, that could be tough to handle.

Habs have some significant holes. This season they were on a mission to make up for that disaster 15-16, and started off extremely hot. But i doubt that happens again. Meanwhile Bolts will come roaring back, Sabres are becoming more of a threat each season and Metro could grab 5 spots, so there's not much room for error.

Bruins only made the playoffs by a point and they're more or less status quo this summer. Could easily miss.

And lastly im not going to single out any particular team, but we always seem to get at least one team that goes through extreme bad luck with injuries and in today's league that's tough to overcome. Throw in some locker room issues and/or coaches lifespan coming to an end, almost anyone can miss the playoffs if they all pile up in one year.

Teams i like for next season:

Hurricanes will make the playoffs sooner or later, and they started clicking after a tough start. There's just something about a young team on a mission to make the playoffs boosted by moves they made during the summer, i like their chances. A lot to prove for this team and they aren't going to stop trying.

Sabres for me are a team that is just waiting to break out. With a top 5 1-2 punch down the middle they're no joke, and i thought they made a lot of good moves addressing their biggest needs this off-season. And just like Carolina, the team believes they can make it and have a lot to prove.

Islanders are getting overlooked by a lot of people even when they only missed the playoffs by 1 point. JT didn't have a great season. Ladd underachieved. And while they lost Hamonic he was terrible this year and i think Pulock can bring more to the table than what Hamonic did in 16-17, not to mention change of scenery for Eberle. And again, the theme i have with these teams is having a lot to prove, and that the Islanders certainly have.

Stars got so much better you have to think they can make it. Could see them being one of the teams that overachieve, due to a disaster year and excitement after all the changes.

Jets have a team to make the playoffs. To me all we need to do is stay healthy, and we're right there.

I know that was 5 teams already, but there's something special for me about the Coyotes. Strome, Keller, Domi, Dvorak, Duclair, Perlini, Chychrun.. that's A LOT of young talent, guys who i think will be good players. And honestly, when have we seen a rebuilding team bringing in a top 6 center and a top pairing d-man in one summer? That just doesn't happen. I also think Raanta is ready for #1 role. Overall i really like what the Yotes are doing and for me it's not impossible to see a similar season from them than what we saw from the Leafs. They might not have Matthews, but did the Leafs have OEL-Hammer back there?

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
That's far form been worst center in the NHL but coming from you(biggest Leaf Fan ever) that's not really relevant.

MTL Center are pretty average but their wingers are top notch.

C-Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Danault-McCarron
W-Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher-Lehkonen-Shaw-Byron-Hemsky

MTL offence will rank around 15th just like last year and the defence will remain top5 for sure with Mr Julien behind the bench.
Lol I'm not even close to the biggest leafs fan. I wish I was, but I don't watch or post here that much. Galchenyuk is a center now? Mccarron has how many NHL games? Plekanec scored how many points last season?

It's honestly embarrassing.

Can you name me even 3 worse center groups? And you think their average? :shakehead:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If Plekanec struggles and has another poor year, that's going to put a lot of pressure on Danault and Galchenyuk. I'm also aware Galchenyuk is a 'Natural Center', but he's been a winger in the NHL. Very rarely does someone in his situation adjust to that change.

Not a fan of their wingers. Pacioretty is great, as is Drouin. Gallagher had a pretty unimpressive year. Byron was great, but he had a lot of time on the top line. Outside of that, I don't see much. Hemsky could be effective if he can remain healthy, but the odds of that happening are very slim.

The defense is a lot better defensively, but the offense that they'll contribute has dropped significantly.

However, they still have Carey Price, which is probably enough to make them a favorite for the top spot in the division. I don't see this team being deep enough for much of a playoff run though.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
East IN: Carolina, Philly, Tampa
East Out: Ottawa, Montreal, Rangers

West In: Dallas,
West Out: Chicago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad