Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Have you been to Haus Murphy's in Glendale?

In downtown Glendale? Yes, many years ago when I worked near MetroCenter I stumbled on it and went there for lunch a few times. Was always thinking brats when I went there (10-12 years ago), but now that you mention it, I will make a mental note. Thanks!

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Or maybe his strong performances in preseason were good enough to earn a look. He is the only draft pick to play in all situations and kick ass on the pk. (besides Dahlin) Plus he won 60% of his faceoffs in his two preseason games.

Full disclosure, I’m a Soo fan, so some say I am biased. I’m happy for the kid, but wish he was back with the Greyhounds wearing the C!

What do you think you're doing? Presenting facts, and admitting a bias? There's no room for that kind of behavior on this forum:sarcasm:

This is interesting in many ways....

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
He’s there to learn what being a pro is like off the ice, get some more practice in and also provide insurance if more injuries happen. There is a decent chance he doesn’t play a game unless more injuries or the team struggles hard out of the gate.

I hope neither of those things happen.

Reactions: Jakey53 and rt

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Most organizations do not introduce players this way because it has a very, very low success rate. Management can say whatever they like, that does not mean it is correct.

It seems to me most organizations do start their rookie centers on lines that get less ice time (I don't look at lines as 1, 2, 3, 4), or alternatively start them on the wing. I agree the opinions of management can be correct or incorrect. I didn't read the quote from draft day as saying Hayton would start this season with the Coyotes this year, I read it as saying he's not your typical prospect who doesn't gain anything or could have his development stunted by playing in the NHL before he reaches the level of play he can ultimately reach. That seems to fit with the constant messages we are hearing from management, coaches, analysts, etc.

I think we all agree Hayton will not last past 9 games (I'd be shocked if he suits up for one game), but we will look at him as having a much better chance of making the team next year.

Good times.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

cobra427

May 6, 2012
How can it be a hockey decision? Hayton played two preseason games, so I would think around 25 TOI. IF Chayka and RT can determine after watching a junior kid for 25 TOI time that he should be on the roster we got a couple of geniuses on our hands. I thought you said you have to earn your minutes.:)
Maybe they want him to be in a pro atmosphere and more practice with pro's? or maybe our C's are so bad and they are so confident in Hayton, they will give him a look. If he plays, you are correct, he will have to earn his minutes:)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Maybe they see Hayton as our Nazm Kadri - a 30 goal 2 way center who can shut anybody down. If they give him a year I want it on the wing, so he doesn't have all that responsibility. Next year he can center a line.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him play 2-3 games while Galchenyuk and Dvorak are out. He gets a taste and then gets sent back kind of knowing what to expect at the NHL level because the actual season is a whole different beast than pre-season.

Actually I'd prefer this to happen but no more than 3 games, that way we can do that again as needed.

Fully expecting a 3 year development plan right now, which is on pace for when Stepan's contract ends.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

johnchayka89

Don’t Fail the Plan...
Jun 23, 2018
Scottsdale
www.nhl.com
Congratulations to Hayton for earning a shot at a few games in the show. He was obviously well prepared for camp and is being rewarded.

When he gets sent back down, he will have an edge over his other older NHL bound teammates and secure the larger role on his team. We give premium players premium treatment here in AZ.

We gave Keller a shot at a few games the year before he officially made the team.

Zadina is being sent down to learn how to dig pucks from the corners.

Reactions: ck26 and PuckLife

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Maybe they see Hayton as our Nazm Kadri - a 30 goal 2 way center who can shut anybody down. If they give him a year I want it on the wing, so he doesn't have all that responsibility. Next year he can center a line.
So why not treat him like Kadri with a back to Jr year followed by some AHL learning the complete pro game time?

Reactions: Jakey53 and rt

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So why not treat him like Kadri with a back to Jr year followed by some AHL learning the complete pro game time?
That would be my preference as well. Why not? I’m a fan whose expertise is a universe away from player personnel. You want expertise talk to me about injury, not development.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Congratulations to Hayton for earning a shot at a few games in the show. He was obviously well prepared for camp and is being rewarded.

When he gets sent back down, he will have an edge over his other older NHL bound teammates and secure the larger role on his team. We give premium players premium treatment here in AZ.

We gave Keller a shot at a few games the year before he officially made the team.

Zadina is being sent down to learn how to dig pucks from the corners.
The thing is, he didn't earn a spot. I believed he played in two preseason games. He probably is here because of our injuries at C and management want to make sure he is healed from his injury and they can keep a eye on him better here. IF he is healed from his injury I see no point in keeping him here. He has been around all preseason and he has a pretty good idea what is needed to make a NHL team. I would send him back to junior so he can play big minutes there and grow his game.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...es-provide-unlikely-opportunities/1504660002/

Right now, look for Hayton to serve as an extra forward unless another player goes down with injury. Head coach Rick Tocchet said there is a possibility he could play, but Hayton could still gain valuable experience just being with the team for the first few weeks of the season. "That's a plus for us that he's gaining this experience even if he doesn't play right now," Tocchet said. "He's done a nice job for us. I'll never say never (in terms of him playing), but he's going to stay with us and we'll decide what to do with him later."

Kind of a contrast from what was said about Strome.

I don't think that the injury thing is as big of a part of his staying as people are making it seem. The reality is that he does a lot of little things well, so if he is one of the players doing PK reps in practice to help our PP, then he earned the spot to at least continue to practice and learn with the big club. Injuries have played a part in him staying up and I don't expect him to get into any games unless a bigger injury happens at C.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yep...because its better for him to sit in the pressbox than to actually play hockey...this had better not be for more than a week. (although anything more than 2 games is just a big :facepalm:)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm glad he went back. Had we not still been on the win schneid, I would have liked to have seen him have his 9 games, to get that little beak wet. Since the team has that added pressure on it, the best place for Hayton is the OHL.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think he gets his 9 games next year. Maybe more.

Honestly. I can’t wait to watch more but I loved his 2nd assist. Takes key face off in defensive zone. Wins clean to wing who puts it to LD. LD fumbles puck makes its way to other side boards. Hayton gets there and makes a sneaky pass to Frost for ENG. Just a great play by a smart player.

Reactions: PuckLife

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think he gets his 9 games next year. Maybe more.

I think that I had mentioned in one of the draft threads - there were a few players whom I thought would play higher than their draft pick number, and Hayton was one of those guys for me. Granted I was speaking to an early teens pick there, but he may be on a faster track than people realize. I hope this is the case.

Reactions: PuckLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->