Post-Game Talk: #5: FLYERS at Oilers, Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Giroux's one timers tended to come a lot more from the point Dman or having Simmonds send the puck back to him than they have from Voracek.
I swear the ones that worked were diagonal from below him on the other side of the ice. Otherwise the goalie doesn’t have to move laterally as much & it doesn’t work.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's not trying to shoot directly on net because there's 4 defensemen in between him and it... he's often shooting to the sides for deflections or rebounds.

He's shooting too hard for that though. It's not easy to redirect a pounded slapshot from 15-20 feet away.

I've been lusting for someone to figure out how to lob wristers for tips ever since Timonen went away forever. Then again he was just elite at it. He could lob one to Briere well wide and Briere could still somehow put it on net from some absurd angle.

There is no reason that someone who has shown Ghost's finesse can't sort that skill out.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I swear the ones that worked were diagonal from below him on the other side of the ice. Otherwise the goalie doesn’t have to move laterally as much & it doesn’t work.

My recollection is that Voracek was setting up the slot man more often than that, but they did have the neat play where Slotman would let it through to Giroux.

Giroux is involved in a disgusting series in a Team Canada game where he was on the right and Crosby on the left, Crosby zipped the puck to G who zipped it straight back to set up Crosby. No goalie is going back and forth that quick. It was sexcellent. And I'm not comfortable saying that at all, but it was.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
My recollection is that Voracek was setting up the slot man more often than that, but they did have the neat play where Slotman would let it through to Giroux.

Giroux is involved in a disgusting series in a Team Canada game where he was on the right and Crosby on the left, Crosby zipped the puck to G who zipped it straight back to set up Crosby. No goalie is going back and forth that quick. It was sexcellent. And I'm not comfortable saying that at all, but it was.

The slot man one timer almost always was fed by Giroux because they were LH shots (Hartnell and Schenn).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The slot man one timer almost always was fed by Giroux because they were LH shots (Hartnell and Schenn).

Yes, Slotman typically moved the puck elsewhere from Voracek.

The play I'm thinking of is once Ghost or Streit had the goalie and PK's full attention they'd send it to Giroux to fire home.

Edit: Good lord our PP had a laundry list of things they could do.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
uh..

903552ca9f81001812e0949f9b8e9517.png

and.............
ce8b6b7f6070b5053a28b26d15a47ea0.png

It's amazing how lazy people are to substantiate ANYTHING. If you can't get basic facts right, there is no conversation worth having. :facepalm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's shooting too hard for that though. It's not easy to redirect a pounded slapshot from 15-20 feet away.

I've been lusting for someone to figure out how to lob wristers for tips ever since Timonen went away forever. Then again he was just elite at it. He could lob one to Briere well wide and Briere could still somehow put it on net from some absurd angle.

There is no reason that someone who has shown Ghost's finesse can't sort that skill out.

Amen.

Gudas was very good at the wrist shot that would get on net through a crowd, as PK's get more aggressive, it's hard to get off an accurate slap shot and not have it blocked, but a good quick wrist shot is harder to block (and the best shooters suck the defender into coming out at them and use them as a screen).

We have big physical guys willing to go to the slot and forwards with good hands for the deflection, just got to get the puck through the crowd without the goalie getting a good look and hope for "puck luck."

Ghost used to be good at subtle moves to find a shooting lane, but he seems to have lost that knack.
Power play for Ghost -
2015-16: xGF/60 8.33
2016-17: xGF/60 9.87
2017-18: xGF/60 8.83
2018-19: xGF/60 8.08
2019-20: xGF/60 11.36

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I think part of that is frustration and trying too hard, same as Giroux used to hammer one-timers way too hard (sacrificing accuracy) when he was due for a goal or the PP was slumping.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's not trying to shoot directly on net because there's 4 PKers in between him and it... he's often shooting to the sides for deflections or rebounds.

Yeah it sucks. I miss when he used to shoot them on net and ya know, past the goalie, lol

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah it sucks. I miss when he used to shoot them on net and ya know, past the goalie, lol
I'm not holding my breath for that until they go back to the old setup and unclog the center of the ice. With the way it currently is, it's just too easy to defend.

PLEASE hockey gods PLEASE just make them fix this crap

b50b6e2e2414cb21f0cf87b8b2466d60.png

Reactions: BiggE and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not holding my breath for that until they go back to the old setup and unclog the center of the ice. With the way it currently is, it's just too easy to defend.

PLEASE hockey gods PLEASE just make them fix this crap

b50b6e2e2414cb21f0cf87b8b2466d60.png

There are plays they can draw up to free up shooting lanes for a Ghost one -timer. I could explain in person but its difficult to type out. Ive seen teams do it before.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think a lot of people are "dumping" on Ghost (maybe a couple), rather, just pointing out that he has some limitations.

Some people talk about him as he's Karlsson Jr and think that any fault finding is blasphemy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think a lot of people are "dumping" on Ghost (maybe a couple), rather, just pointing out that he has some limitations.

Some people talk about him as he's Karlsson Jr and think that any fault finding is blasphemy.

Yeah that's not true. When you have to tell these kinds of lies it reflects badly on your own positions.

You made the Karlsson claim once. I invited you to prove it. How come you've failed to do so?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would simply refer to a few posters who consistently call Ghost elite.
Karlsson = Elite.
Therefore, Ghost must be at least Karlsson Jr.

Basic logic.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm going to pleasantly needle you a bit and then take a break from arguing :laugh:

JVR doesn't have the physicality Simmonds had, but his hand-eye is elite, and I'm not reaching for that one as a homer -- all those years where we ranked Simmonds as a top-5 net front guy would have had young James as one of the other four guys. It's one of the few reasons for hope of production if Seattle doesn't take him - he should really be able to help on the PP even if they have to roll him from the bench for the face off.

RadiantSmartBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

[Pictured: JVR arriving for his press conference after signing with the (little, orange) Flyers. He'd spent the past year sampling hot dogs in the Six trying to track down Phil's famed vendor.]

If you're feeling frustrated with other elements of JVR's game (and rightfully so), try scrounging youtube for some of his goals as a Leaf. There are a lot of pretty ones where he isn't involved for 95% of the play and then BAM! final tip at an exotic angle. Some real beauties.

(As a side note, JVR is so good at deflections, no matter which way he is facing, that I think he overcomes the lefty disadvantage with Giroux on the left wall -- again making the current PP1 setup unnecessary).

To each their own. Simmonds, in his prime, didn’t simply finish things other people created. He was that good at deflections and around the net, he created or turned low chance shots to high chance ones. I’m aware of what JVR did, with the Leafs being the operative caveat, but that’s the difference for me. As you said, he can bury garbage and finish what other people create. Which is all you need when you have Marner, Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares cresting as opposed to just Giroux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad