Post-Game Talk: #5: FLYERS at Oilers, Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Braun is here after this season I will be on a serious bender and pissed at Fletch. I was fine with bringing here for this season. But he needs to be gone after this year. And Niskanen even though he's playing well should really be gone the next offseason.

If Myers is up and playing well, I doubt they'd extend Braun. Especially since they will be tight on cap space next summer and Braun can probably get $3 million or so on the open market.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right now we have $11,388,811 in cap space for next season before any cap increase (guessing it goes up $1.5-3 million)

We have to extend
  • Lindblom
  • Patrick
  • Myers
And save some cap for the following summer when we have to extend

• Hart
  • Sanheim

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lindblom's price is going up, but the other two should be cheap if they keep not playing NHL games.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Right now we have $11,388,811 in cap space for next season before any cap increase (guessing it goes up $1.5-3 million)

We have to extend
  • Lindblom
  • Patrick
  • Myers
And save some cap for the following summer when we have to extend

• Hart
  • Sanheim

At this rate, I wouldnt be surprised if Myers refuses to sign.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And do what? Don't think there are a lot of comparable jobs that pay a similar rate, and the Flyers would just plug in Friedman next year.

He may need some new advisors if he chooses that route.

Hes been clearly better, along with having higher upside than at least one of the defensemen on the roster this year and last. If you honestly think that doesnt leave a bad taste in a prospects mouth, I dont know what to tell you. Why sign somewhere you are going to be jerked around and arent going to be given a chance to play?

He had a bad preseason, I get it. But Hagg had a bad entire year, and a mediocre at best pre season. This isnt me clamoring for prospects to play because prospects. Its simple human psyche.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Hes been clearly better, along with having higher upside than at least one of the defensemen on the roster this year and last. If you honestly think that doesnt leave a bad taste in a prospects mouth, I dont know what to tell you. Why sign somewhere you are going to be jerked around and arent going to be given a chance to play?

He had a bad preseason, I get it. But Hagg had a bad entire year, and a mediocre at best pre season. This isnt me clamoring for prospects to play because prospects. Its simple human psyche.

He 100% should on the team, but he has no real leverage in any contract negotiation.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He 100% should on the team, but he has no real leverage in any contract negotiation.

I dont disagree. But unless something changes throughout the season (and i do expect it will, so this is all probably moot), I wouldnt be chomping at the bit to sign. I'm sure he wants to get paid, but I'm also sure he wants to play meaningful hockey and get a chance hes worth more than a sub million dollar deal. It's a balance of getting paid now vs getting paid later and actual development.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We’re 5 games into the season. They wanted to give Myers a wake up call after his lousy preseason. That doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t earn his way back.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I too prefer to weight the results of the last 5 games over the last 2 seasons.

I love Frost mate, but he's not blown the doors off to suggest he's ready for the NHL yet. He looked outmatched in pre-season and hasn't done much in the AHL.

He'll be here eventually, just not yet.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are we really back to pretending Frost hasn't been good?

giphy.gif

We already killed that myth.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
our defense is also 100% healthy right now. That won't continue.

Also GM's/Coaches often say you need to be 9/10 Dmen deep to make a deep run in the playoffs. So given that Myers had a poor pre-season, is waiver free, want him to get good minutes, and we have no injuries, he is where he is for now. At some point, that will change.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I love Frost mate, but he's not blown the doors off to suggest he's ready for the NHL yet. He looked outmatched in pre-season and hasn't done much in the AHL.

He'll be here eventually, just not yet.
So it's actually two preseason games totaling 30 minutes and not five as I originally thought. I stand corrected. You're right. Being the best player cumulatively over two seasons in the best development league in the world should not factor in at all. I can't even think of any similar players having success in the NHL right now.

our defense is also 100% healthy right now. That won't continue.
I remember people saying this in 2016-2017 as we had Morin, Hagg, and Sanheim in the AHL. They played two games combined.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So it's actually two preseason games totaling 30 minutes and not five as I originally thought. I stand corrected. You're right. Being the best player cumulatively over two seasons in the best development league in the world should not factor in at all. I can't even think of any similar players having success in the NHL right now.

I remember people saying this in 2016-2017 as we had Morin, Hagg, and Sanheim in the NHL. They played two games combined.

Uh, the CHL is well below the SHL, KHL and AHL.
The jump from the CHL to the NHL is much larger than for these other leagues.
You could make the case that the USHL is now equal to the CHL.
And top NCAA conferences are tougher competition.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Are we really back to pretending Frost hasn't been good?

giphy.gif

We already killed that myth.

Its almost as if whenever a dumb myth is killed, another one shows up so it can be killed - and then go back to the first one, pretending it was never killed. Rinse, repeat.

Just like the Couturier, Ghost, Jake, Carter myths. Ah, I forgot the best myth: "no other option"

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I remember people saying this in 2016-2017 as we had Morin, Hagg, and Sanheim in the NHL. They played two games combined.
That year we had 8 Dmen play 28 games or more and 7 Dmen play 50+.

Unless they recall Welinski and Co. up instead of Myers, then that won't happen this year, or certainly shouldn't. That year none of the were on the roster and kids. This year Morin is on the roster and Myers was expected to be, even by Mgt.

If Myers got 50 games and Morin 28 like that year as the #7/8 guys, not the end of the world. Especially if Myers replaces Hagg like Mgt expected to start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad