Post-Game Talk: #5: FLYERS at Oilers, Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Exactly
In the mid 80s everyone knew the Flyers were going to try to get the puck into the slot to Tim Kerr. And yet, even in an era where mugging was basically legal, all Kerr did was rack up a ton of pp goals.

Here’s the thing: a well designed pp, executed properly, by skilled personnel is going to be successful. Even if the opponent knows what they are trying to accomplish, the lack of a 5th skater will still make it difficult to defend.

yep. Everyone knows where Ovy is and what he's going to do....

Edit: Beef beat me to the idea- my post is redundant

Reactions: BiggE

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
On the PP discussion, one crucial thing we used to have we now don’t is the great slot deflection/net front guy. Simmonds used to be that guy and he was a big part of the PP, Patrick showed he could be that guy but can’t stay healthy. JVR doesn’t cut it for me, personally, and I don’t see any other options there with Patrick out.

I'm going to pleasantly needle you a bit and then take a break from arguing :laugh:

JVR doesn't have the physicality Simmonds had, but his hand-eye is elite, and I'm not reaching for that one as a homer -- all those years where we ranked Simmonds as a top-5 net front guy would have had young James as one of the other four guys. It's one of the few reasons for hope of production if Seattle doesn't take him - he should really be able to help on the PP even if they have to roll him from the bench for the face off.

RadiantSmartBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

[Pictured: JVR arriving for his press conference after signing with the (little, orange) Flyers. He'd spent the past year sampling hot dogs in the Six trying to track down Phil's famed vendor.]

If you're feeling frustrated with other elements of JVR's game (and rightfully so), try scrounging youtube for some of his goals as a Leaf. There are a lot of pretty ones where he isn't involved for 95% of the play and then BAM! final tip at an exotic angle. Some real beauties.

(As a side note, JVR is so good at deflections, no matter which way he is facing, that I think he overcomes the lefty disadvantage with Giroux on the left wall -- again making the current PP1 setup unnecessary).

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think one of the most typed phrases on this site for years was "Why did they leave Stamkos open!?"

Well, because they only have 4 skaters and he's elite at sneaking. Everybody knows TB seeks to tee him up, it still happens.
Well they do have a slouch in Kucherov on the other side.

They have G and V on opposite sides of the ice than they have played in a looong time. They can adapt but not overnight. I think Ghost will be just fine if he can make a few plays and score a couple goals. To me he looks like he is just pressing too much.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I do wonder if switching sides may have been Giroux's idea to give him more passing options. He's never been a shoot-first player. Neither has Voracek. On their natural side it's easier for them to control the puck.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I do wonder if switching sides may have been Giroux's idea to give him more passing options. He's never been a shoot-first player. Neither has Voracek. On their natural side it's easier for them to control the puck.

I think it mostly has to do with better perimeter passing options & making it easier to set up Ghost’s one timer with better angles (he can walk more of the top of the zone to find shooting lanes). At least I think that’s part of the thought process, though Ghost still hammered a lot of shin pads the first few games. Got a few through last night, though.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think it mostly has to do with better perimeter passing options & making it easier to set up Ghost’s one timer with better angles (he can walk more of the top of the zone to find shooting lanes). At least I think that’s part of the thought process, though Ghost still hammered a lot of shin pads the first few games. Got a few through last night, though.
Ghost hasn't been very dangerous on the PP ever since his rookie season when he had that unsustainable S%.
He's still the best at keeping the puck in the zone, but we need more from him than that. It's not really a coincidence that he's still without a point. He just doesn't look very dangerous right now. And you can't blame it all on Hagg. That's too easy.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ghost hasn't been very dangerous on the PP ever since his rookie season when he had that unsustainable S%.
He's still the best at keeping the puck in the zone, but we need more from him than that. It's not really a coincidence that he's still without a point. He just doesn't look very dangerous right now. And you can't blame it all on Hagg. That's too easy.

He misses the net too much still. I'm guessing it's because he's trying to shoot around legs. I wish he would use a more accurate wrist-shot if he wants to get the shot through and on net. The constant missing of the net on one-timers is just painful to watch.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
His shot his rookie season was wicked. Absolute bomb, fast release & accurate. It’s nowhere close to where it used to be. He frequently either blasts it into shin pads or, if he has a lane, misses the net. And his shot only registered 89 mph last year when they brought out the radar gun, which is weak for a slapshootimg point man on PP1.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I got caught in a meeting for most of the day. I come back, and were still trying to say that this PP setup is good because they're expected to score goals, but cant? That's almost as good as my lottery ticket that I expect to win 100 million with.

Expected outcomes arent actual results, plain and simple.

Someone @ me when were past this.

Reactions: Striiker

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

His shot is actually heading for the net so far this year which is an upgrade over last, but PKs have collapsed into the slot. Gotta spread things out more.

Or go the Timonen route and lob soft wristers wide to be easy tip targets. We have a JVR.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Voracek was a complete non-threat on his off wing on the PP, so teams just overplayed toward Giroux.

Most of Giroux’s one-timers had to come across ice from Voracek down low, & that’s not an easy pass to make. And on average how many of those one-timers did G score goals on per year? 2 or 3?

I think the PP one-timer from the off wing is being overblown.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

uh..

903552ca9f81001812e0949f9b8e9517.png

and.............
ce8b6b7f6070b5053a28b26d15a47ea0.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Voracek was a complete non-threat on his off wing on the PP, so teams just overplayed toward Giroux.

Most of Giroux’s one-timers had to come across ice from Voracek down low, & that’s not an easy pass to make. And on average how many of those one-timers did G score goals on per year? 2 or 3?

I think the PP one-timer from the off wing is being overblown.

Giroux's one timers tended to come a lot more from the point Dman or having Simmonds send the puck back to him than they have from Voracek.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He misses the net too much still. I'm guessing it's because he's trying to shoot around legs. I wish he would use a more accurate wrist-shot if he wants to get the shot through and on net. The constant missing of the net on one-timers is just painful to watch.
He's not trying to shoot directly on net because there's 4 PKers in between him and it... he's often shooting to the sides for deflections or rebounds.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
His shot is actually heading for the net so far this year which is an upgrade over last, but PKs have collapsed into the slot. Gotta spread things out more.

Or go the Timonen route and lob soft wristers wide to be easy tip targets. We have a JVR.
Hopefully Ghost will get a feel for working the more space he can exploit with the non-off-wing setup. He is going to have to use the quick wrist shot for a deflection more often. That’s one thing Voracek actually does well when he plays the point.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad