GDT: 5/2/18 - 7:00PM EDT - #1AT Tampa Bay @ #2AT Boston [ECSF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
So I saw Boston winning game 1 (long layoff) and TB winning game 2 (long 1st series for B) but I didn't see game 3 coming at all. What does everyone think about game 4?

We have one big advantage, we have figured out how to play against the Bruins, while they still are trying to figure out how to beat us (yes, despite them winning the first game), if they are just depending on their first line they must be at the top of the game each game, which is impossible even for the best of players/lines.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
C023F1F9-952E-40E3-A5D0-A2E8B913C32E.jpeg

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
We have one big advantage, we have figured out how to play against the Bruins, while they still are trying to figure out how to beat us (yes, despite them winning the first game), if they are just depending on their first line they must be at the top of the game each game, which is impossible even for the best of players/lines.
Or we’re just the better team.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Can’t help but feel like we’d be up 3-0 had we not had such a long break between series.
We played a solid game 1, at least until the 3rd period, without puck luck and a Rask standing on his head, we get to the first intermission with the lead, and it's a completely different game. Props to Rask, he's part of the game but we had a 68% SCF and a 75% HDSCF advantage after one period and Boston was leading 2-1. That's strong "unsustainable" territory.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The break between series is worth more than one game. Every game is a chance for a serious injury, it's a chance for fatigue to set in, etc.

And I don't think you can blame game 1 on the layoff that much. The first two periods we were skating well. The issue was keeping our D tight to them in the offensive zone. Every breakdown ended up hitting twine.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Lightning are winning the face off circle. Of all the positives in this series, this one baffles me the most, in a good way. I thought Boston would handle Tampa in the circle and we’d have to overcome it. But no, general domination. TJ beating up on Bergeron. Where did this come from. It’s like there was another gear all along.
Once again, team management seems to have addressed the "playoffs weaknesses". I'm a lot more confident playing with the lead with McD/Girardi out there, same goes with Miller on the dot, FO are huge in the playoffs. To eat my fair share of humble pie, I stated at the beginning of the season that players can only improve their FO skills in the off-season, seems like several players proved me wrong, they worked on the past months, it and it's showing.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I think the injury stuff is being exaggerated. He was cutting way too confidently tonight. He just didn't seem to be overthinking things, at least to my eye.
Not to mine. I'm the farther thing to a Stamkos apologist but skating wise, his change of direction are slow as shit, at full speed he can't beat a Chara, The things I liked the most about Stammer this season was his two-way game and physical game on the forecheck. I know Stammer is not evelating his game in the playoffs, but those things completely disappeared from his game. He's clearly playing through a lower body injury IMO.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Can’t help but feel like we’d be up 3-0 had we not had such a long break between series.
It's tough to know if there is any truth in that but, even if the layoff did have something to do with the G1 loss, the week off may still help us in the long run.

I may end up eating my words, but Boston looking like the more tired, beat up team right now. Chara looks gassed.

Last edited:
Reactions: berlin

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's tough to know if there is any truth in that but, even with a G1 loss, the week off may still help us in the long run. Now I may end up eating my words, but Boston looking like the more tired, beat up team right now. Chara looks gassed.

Chara is nowhere near as imposing as he used to be,his skating has taken a big step back he's still a big strong dude but if our first line had their possession game from the regular season they'd be walking circles around him.

Boston's defense in general aren't great skaters, most noticeable thing last night was how much our guys burned them on those quick cuts to change direction (this is like Points favorite move). Points line in general created so much space by just turning on their dmen, Stamkos also burned someone pretty bad doing it.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So I saw Boston winning game 1 (long layoff) and TB winning game 2 (long 1st series for B) but I didn't see game 3 coming at all. What does everyone think about game 4?

I think Boston is going to come out strong as hell, sort of like the way they did in the 2nd period, and we're gonna be hard-pressed to match it. BUT, if we weather the storm, I think they might come unglued.

TB has pleasantly surprised me and convinced me that they've grown a killer instinct. If Boston gives us the chance, we'll keep our foot on their throats.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I think Boston is going to come out strong as hell, sort of like the way they did in the 2nd period, and we're gonna be hard-pressed to match it. BUT, if we weather the storm, I think they might come unglued.

TB has pleasantly surprised me and convinced me that they've grown a killer instinct. If Boston gives us the chance, we'll keep our foot on their throats.
What do you mean "if Boston gives us the chance"? You think the Bs can't be beaten unless they "give" it to TB? Boston has no intention of giving anything nor will TB be expecting them too. Great teams, SC winning teams, take it to their opponent, something the Bolts have clearly established that they can do. Now they have to keep doing it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What do you mean "if Boston gives us the chance"? You think the Bs can't be beaten unless they "give" it to TB? Boston has no intention of giving anything nor will TB be expecting them too. Great teams, SC winning teams, take it to their opponent, something the Bolts have clearly established that they can do. Now they have to keep doing it.

I think Boston's good enough to make it a long series, even when we're at our best. But they're shooting themselves in the foot in a lot of different ways right now. If Boston comes out hard in Game 4, we can still beat them. Or we might not. But if Boston has a weak start, or comes unglued over the reffing, we'll beat them in a much more convincing way.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I think Boston's good enough to make it a long series, even when we're at our best. But they're shooting themselves in the foot in a lot of different ways right now. If Boston comes out hard in Game 4, we can still beat them. Or we might not. But if Boston has a weak start, or comes unglued over the reffing, we'll beat them in a much more convincing way.
Of course the Bs are good enough to make it a long series. They're good enough to win the series. There's a ton of talent and a lot of pride over there and nobody should be kidding themselves about that. Still, if the Bolts play their game and don't let down their guard, they are the better team. Oh, and Vasy has to be at least as good as Rask. So far, that's about what he's been.

Last edited:
Reactions: berlin and DFC

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
While Vasy is our #1, he is still a young, work in progress and handling the puck is def an area that needed and continues to need improvement but, yes, he is looking more confident in that area for sure. (Though while HE is looking calmer with the puck all the time, he still makes ME nervous).
Well, yeah, he still makes me a bit nervous, too. But not nearly as much as he used to. He's not quite at Bish's level in terms of puckhandling, but he's not hesitating to go behind the net, and he's smart and decisive about where to go with the puck.
He has been doing this pretty well for most of the season. I remember thinking early in the year that he must have really worked hard in the offseason on it. Very noticeable difference.
Yeah, he's probably slowly gotten better over the season too, and I only just now noticed. Like grass growing, or something. One day you look out the window and are shocked at how tall the grass is, even though it didn't get that way overnight.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Of course the Bs are good enough to make it a long series. They're good enough to win the series. There's a ton of talent and a lot of pride over there and nobody should be kidding themselves about that. Still, if the Bolts play their game and don't let down their guard, they are the better team. Oh, and Vasy has to be at least as good as Rask. So far, that's about what he's been.
I agree wholeheartedly. I’ll go a step further and say I don’t think any of us would be surprised if we got blown out in game 4. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Not to mine. I'm the farther thing to a Stamkos apologist but skating wise, his change of direction are slow as ****, at full speed he can't beat a Chara, The things I liked the most about Stammer this season was his two-way game and physical game on the forecheck. I know Stammer is not evelating his game in the playoffs, but those things completely disappeared from his game. He's clearly playing through a lower body injury IMO.
I mean, maybe. I just saw a few occasions where he was digging in and cutting way harder than I'd realistically expect anyone to who was seriously injured. Maybe he's just tougher than I give him credit for.

But the things I wasn't liking about his playoff game were his decision making and reaction time, which were both a tad better last night, IMO, and which is why I think the injury thing is overblown. Basically, I think that if he's injured, it's hampering his game because he's thinking about it, not because it's preventing him from being able to play well enough.

But I've beaten the issue to death at this point, so I'll just leave it at that, and reiterate that I thought he looked a little better last night.

Reactions: The Green Unit

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I agree wholeheartedly. I’ll go a step further and say I don’t think any of us would be surprised if we got blown out in game 4. It’s just the nature of the beast.
True. I sure do hate the beast sometimes.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I'll be disappointed but I won't be surprised if we lose in a close one tomorrow but I will be very surprised if we get blown out (lose by 3 or more). I just think that ship has sailed for this team and I don't see us getting crushed again (unless Vasy has a complete meltdown - but I don't really see that happening again either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad