Prospect Info: 49th Overall - Ben Roger (D)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Whole draft just reeks of trying to be the smartest scout in the room. Not inspiring coming from the best aspect of the organization in its scouting staff.

So strange going from what was probably one of, if not the best draft in the league in 2020 to the absolute worst, without a shadow of a doubt, a year later.

It was Covid year, going to be lots of different rankings. In saying that, going in with what seems to be a game plan of ignoring the guys who were doing well, and trying to find a diamond painted like a piece of coal from missed time or no season, is unsurprisingly backfiring at the moment.
It's pretty wild how quickly this has looked this bad. The only strength in the organization and then they have the worst draft in the league.. This should be Pierre's 9th life but that happened a while ago. Both him and Melnyk appear to be able to dance death to haunt our dreams like hockey ghosts from hell.

Good for Roger's long term development, so we should be happy with this.
Wut... He left the best development team in the league when they are in first place.

Roger can get some ice time on a team looking to dominate!
Serious?

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Whole draft just reeks of trying to be the smartest scout in the room. Not inspiring coming from the best aspect of the organization in its scouting staff.

So strange going from what was probably one of, if not the best draft in the league in 2020 to the absolute worst, without a shadow of a doubt, a year later.

It was Covid year, going to be lots of different rankings. In saying that, going in with what seems to be a game plan of ignoring the guys who were doing well, and trying to find a diamond painted like a piece of coal from missed time or no season, is unsurprisingly backfiring at the moment.
You were convinced, and tried to convince the rest of the board, that Lassi Thomson was nothing but an old chunk of coal, too. Well it looks like a very short time later he has turned into a diamond. I’m not saying this kid or any of the kids are going to be great players it’s just not a good look to be consistently be wrong in your own evaluations but to continue to call out a professional scouting staff with a little bit of history of being right.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You were convinced, and tried to convince the rest of the board, that Lassi Thomson was nothing but an old chunk of coal, too. Well it looks like a very short time later he has turned into a diamond. I’m not saying this kid or any of the kids are going to be great players it’s just not a good look to be consistently be wrong in your own evaluations but to continue to call out a professional scouting staff with a little bit of history of being right.
Was absolutely wrong on Thompson, would love to be wrong here.

Watching all the guys drafted outside of Johanssen this year, all look like more questionable choices than when they were made, and they were all extremely questionable outside of Latimer. When you make evaluations, you’re going to be wrong, and right, the exact same way our scouts have been.

When is the last time a 1st place team competing for a championship traded away a 19 year old NHL pick, and a 2nd rounder at that? And for futures?

It’s not hard to tell that every guy we picked was ranked significantly, significantly lower than they were picked. Just like it wasn’t hard to see that our 2020 draft was looking at extremely good from the moment we were drafted them.

Every single pick in the 2021 draft is falling significantly below expectations for NHL picks.

Can that change? Absolutely. Years and years of precedent says we will be lucky to get much out of this draft.

If there is one draft where it’s unsurprising the picks are doing badly, it was absolutely going to be this one. It just happens they are doing much worse than anticipated thus far.

36 points in a combined 102 games this year from the draft class is putrid, regardless of league and position. That’s with 3 picks in the top 50.

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well a positive could be that it lights a fire under his ass.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well a positive could be that it lights a fire under his ass.
Absolutely, he wasn't getting PP or top PK minutes in London, he was essentially their #5 D. Going to Kingston should be good for him should he get those in Kingston.

“It’s looking positive on him (Estonian Import Kirill Steklov),” London associate GM Rob Simpson said. “It’s looking more probable that there is a high chance of him coming back. We wanted to give Ben more of a chance to show how he could perform and play in more situations like the power play and penalty kill.”

Sucks he couldn't get those chances in London, but it is what it is. Hopefully he gets more chances in Kingston.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not looking good for him right now. Like many of the 2021 picks, they bet on guys with plus physical/athletic attributes and work ethics. It would be a lot more fun to be discussing Scott Morrow and Aatu Raty right now but what’s done is done.

With this type of pick you just have to put it on the back burner and not think about it for at least 2 years.

If this guy makes it I’d expect a Methot like development path, completing junior eligibility and then 2+ years in the AHL.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

My thoughts as well. It's like they were over-confident from their results from the last few years and thought they would outsmart everyone on this way less scouted that usual draft class.

2020 looks like a grand chelem vs 2021 which looks like a 3 balls strike out.

Man, really wish they would have drafred following Bob McKenzie's list

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Little bit of revisionist history here saying the 2020 draft was clearly stellar when it happened. Every pick after Stuetzle was criticized, every single one. Why'd they pick a defensive defenceman at 5 when they needed forwards? Grieg, Jarventie, and Kleven were reaches and mistakes. Sokolov? Guy was passed over 2 times and they wasted a 2nd rounder on him? And who the hell is Leevi Merilainen?? The rest of the picks were all classified as WTFs as well.

I'm not too optimistic about the 2021 draft, it really doesn't look promising right now. However, if they end up with 2 decent players out of it who contribute in the future, that would normally be considered a decent draft.

They went really hard on "tools". Typically that's a good strategy in baseball since you have zero chance to succeed at all without a certain minimum of speed for running, throwing, or swinging. And this is true in the NHL as well which is why small, slow players that are ridiculously skilled get picked in the 3rd or 4th round instead of the 1st. Size does matter, skating is critical. Ottawa looks like they were banking on this strategy, not because they were over confident but if there was ever a time to test this theory, then the 2021 Covid draft was the draft to do it.

Some drafts suck, I'm going to wait and see if this was one of them and if it is, oh well.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Little bit of revisionist history here saying the 2020 draft was clearly stellar when it happened. Every pick after Stuetzle was criticized, every single one. Why'd they pick a defensive defenceman at 5 when they needed forwards? Grieg, Jarventie, and Kleven were reaches and mistakes. Sokolov? Guy was passed over 2 times and they wasted a 2nd rounder on him? And who the hell is Leevi Merilainen?? The rest of the picks were all classified as WTFs as well.

I'm not too optimistic about the 2021 draft, it really doesn't look promising right now. However, if they end up with 2 decent players out of it who contribute in the future, that would normally be considered a decent draft.

They went really hard on "tools". Typically that's a good strategy in baseball since you have zero chance to succeed at all without a certain minimum of speed for running, throwing, or swinging. And this is true in the NHL as well which is why small, slow players that are ridiculously skilled get picked in the 3rd or 4th round instead of the 1st. Size does matter, skating is critical. Ottawa looks like they were banking on this strategy, not because they were over confident but if there was ever a time to test this theory, then the 2021 Covid draft was the draft to do it.

Some drafts suck, I'm going to wait and see if this was one of them and if it is, oh well.

I feel like our 2020 draft is a little overrated. I mean the results are looking good but we also had a lot of high picks in an extremely deep and top heavy draft. If it wasn't Stutzle or Sanderson we are walking away with two of Raymond, Lundell, Drysdale, Rossi, Jarvis etc. If it wasn't Greig or Jarventie its Peterka, Grans, Ozzy, Bordeleau, Evangelista, Wallinder, Khusnutdinov etc

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I feel like our 2020 draft is a little overrated. I mean the results are looking good but we also had a lot of high picks in an extremely deep and top heavy draft. If it wasn't Stutzle or Sanderson we are walking away with two of Raymond, Lundell, Drysdale, Rossi, Jarvis etc. If it wasn't Greig or Jarventie its Peterka, Grans, Ozzy, Bordeleau, Evangelista, Wallinder, Khusnutdinov etc

That's very true and I would've been content with virtually anyone in the top 10, and there was solid depth throughout the first 2 rounds. You still have to execute though. Look at Boston in 2015.

Going to take a few years to truly get a sense of how well these guys turn out in comparison to other players drafted in the same vicinity. But it was a nice haul and even if some selections look bad later on in hindsight, you could still have 3-4 very good players from a single draft. That's a stellar year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's massively overated. They blew every single pick after the two top 5's. How you pick not one but two players over Peterka when you've been scouting Stutzle is absolutely inexplicable. Jack Quinn absolutely ripping up the AHL right now. Just thought I'd throw that one out there....

Reactions: Emrasie

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
It's massively overated. They blew every single pick after the two top 5's. How you pick not one but two players over Peterka when you've been scouting Stutzle is absolutely inexplicable. Jack Quinn absolutely ripping up the AHL right now. Just thought I'd throw that one out there....
Buffalo is in no way, shape or form a better drafting team than Ottawa so get out of here with that and go cheer for them if you like their prospects so much.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Buffalo is in no way, shape or form a better drafting team than Ottawa so get out of here with that and go cheer for them if you like their prospects so much.

Rediculous for anyone to criticize the Sanderson pick over someone like Quinn. This team is so desperately in need of everything Sanderson.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

It's equally ridiculous to already say they blew every pick outside the top 5's as it is to already call the 2020 draft class amazing.

Some people are too quick to crown prospects while others are too quick to give up on prospects. Although I guess that's what keeps a message board entertaining.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

I still wish we took Peterka ahead of Jarventi that draft. Couldn't believe we passed on him twice

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's equally ridiculous to already say they blew every pick outside the top 5's as it is to already call the 2020 draft class amazing.

Some people are too quick to crown prospects while others are too quick to give up on prospects. Although I guess that's what keeps a message board entertaining.
They reached on every pick except Sokolov. Comparably other players in those draft positions have excelled. Do you not find it a little shocking they scouted Stutzle alot and didn't like Peterka?... It was clear as day he was a very good prospect.

I still wish we took Peterka ahead of Jarventi that draft. Couldn't believe we passed on him twice
Or over Grieg.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
There were some people who thought that Dorion had smarts at a draft table. The guy is absolute zero in hockey. Zilch! Coming to Ottawa from a worst drafting team in Montreal. Anyway, amateur scouts do about nothing for their organisations with a whimsical 60-70k a year salary. NFL water boy makes more money. Or a sweat floor cleaner in NBA. Travel, hotel and food expenses are paid. They wake up, have a breakfast and just go to socialize at the ring. Any teams would be imbeciles not to trust combined ratings, but instead their own scouts LOL. In Ottawa's case, Melnyk drafted a guy in the first round, who would not even leave college, because it would be useless to bring him to minors, because he does exactly squat at the college level. That's how actually Montreal drafted for years. The kid needs at least 5-6 years of development to have a shot at top six. Why would you draft a player, who will not help your team in the next 2-3 years. When the kids in the same round are already playing in NHL and contribute. And you are so thin at top six. How it all make any sense? The league should step in and just take the franchise away from Melnyk. It is ridiculous.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
They reached on every pick except Sokolov. Comparably other players in those draft positions have excelled. Do you not find it a little shocking they scouted Stutzle alot and didn't like Peterka?... It was clear as day he was a very good prospect.

I thought Peterka would be the pick to start the 2nd. I'd still prefer him over Jarventie. I liked the Greig pick quite a bit, though, and I wouldn't call him a reach (24th on Bob's list). Kleven wasn't a reach (36th on Bob's list), people were just mad because they thought he was an old school, no skill defensive defenseman. And you don't think Sokolov wasn't a reach, either. So that's plenty of non-reach picks.

I just think it's premature to say they totally blew it after the top 5. The 2020 draft class is progressing fairly well. 2021 is a different story so far. The Boucher-Ostapchuk-Roger trio in the first 2 rounds has been highly disappointing. I can't remember the last time Ottawa's top picks struggled out of the gate as bad as these 3 have.

Reactions: Xspyrit

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I thought Peterka would be the pick to start the 2nd. I'd still prefer him over Jarventie. I liked the Greig pick quite a bit, though, and I wouldn't call him a reach (24th on Bob's list). Kleven wasn't a reach (36th on Bob's list), people were just mad because they thought he was an old school, no skill defensive defenseman. And you don't think Sokolov wasn't a reach, either. So that's plenty of non-reach picks.

I just think it's premature to say they totally blew it after the top 5. The 2020 draft class is progressing fairly well. 2021 is a different story so far. The Boucher-Ostapchuk-Roger trio in the first 2 rounds has been highly disappointing. I can't remember the last time Ottawa's top picks struggled out of the gate as bad as these 3 have.
On the 2021 draft — I am quite surprised by Ostapchuk’s lack of production. I mean, I watched those two or three exhibition games he played and he looked very good. Certainly enough talent to put some points up at the junior level.

He’s only played 12 games.... any chance he’s been battling an injury of some kind?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Or over Grieg.
Daoust was considered a reach and looks like a great 6th round pick.

Kleven wasn’t a reach and looks like a good 2nd round pick.

Grieg wasn’t a reach and looks like a great late 1st.

Jarventie was a reach and looks to be an average early 2nd.

Sokolov went a bit higher than his ranking and looks to be a great late 2nd.

Reinhardt was unranked and looks to be a good 6th round pick.

Levi was a huge reach, and he’s been good/great in his time since being picked in the 3rd.

Engstrand was a reach and looked awful up until a few weeks ago.

Pretty much every pick last year with the exception of Engstrand, has exceeded expectations.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe they are maybe they aren't hard to say but we will know in a few years. Ottawa didn't have Peterka fall into their laps. I brought up Quinn because I was absolutely ripped on here when I said I liked him as a prospect more than Rossi. I said he would get picked ahead of him and he was. Simply bringing up he looks great. The top 12 of that draft in 2020 is pretty incredible.

Yelling at me to change who I cheer for over 20 years because I wanted the sens to pick the obviously talented prospect that we can confirm due to the Stutzle selection they scouted doesn't seem like a fireable offense. I know everyone is worked up here but for the most part outside of a select few posters were all on the same side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad