Prospect Info: 49th Overall - Ben Roger (D)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Could be a less skilled Lidstrom

I'll go with a less retired Bobby Orr

I didn't mind and/or didn't have strong feelings about the Formenton pick but doesn't he still project only to be an 'elite' third liner, with his finishing abilities still being raw?

I think expecting him to be guaranteed more than "just a Dzingle" is rather high expectations.

Dzingel was a 7th round pick, he took the long college road and stayed 3 years in the NCAA, so he was already 22 when starting to play in the AHL, got 30 NHL games as a 23 y/o, so he was already 24 y/o when he played his first full NHL season. If Formenton can be like Dzingel at his peak (2017-19) but for a longer time, then it's a great outcome. Nothing is guaranteed but he should be able to have a better career than Dzingle, who had a very short peak.

Reactions: playasRus

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I'm guessing 2 years in Juniors and another maybe 2 years in Bellville seems about what I'd do.

Hypothetically speaking not sure where he projects on the roster.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So it appears Mailloux is suspended indefinitely from the OHL, so Roger may the #1 defenseman for the Knights right out the gate.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
What a strange trade. London is leading the league and Roger was an assistant captain. You don't usually see the top team in the league trading an assistant captain for futures. It's almost like he played his way off the team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What a strange trade. London is leading the league and Roger was an assistant captain. You don't usually see the top team in the league trading an assistant captain for futures. It's almost like he played his way off the team.
He’s been bad, this trade explicitly shows that he isn’t exactly thought highly of in London

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think the trade speaks volumes on just how bad Roger has been this season.

Competitive OHL teams don’t trade their NHL draft picks, because NHL draft picks more often than not are your rocks. Roger hasn’t been that. At All.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This feels like the time they drafted Tim Boyle because Bob Janecyk thought he was the best player at some shithole tournament in Boston, despite the fact that the guy was 19 years old and 7th on his high school team in scoring.

Roger scored a couple fluke goals at the OHL showcase and the Sens fell in love.

Reactions: BondraTime

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The Knights thread in the OHL sub-forum seems to echo this unfortunately.

Pick was a head scratcher when it was made and it looks even more dumbfounding right now.
Well it seems they only picked him because he hadn’t seen much ice and had a growth spurt. I feel like they were definitely just pushing their luck with this pic trying to find a diamond in the rough

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Well it seems they only picked him because he hadn’t seen much ice and had a growth spurt. I feel like they were definitely just pushing their luck with this pic trying to find a diamond in the rough
Exactly what it seems at this point. But who knows with defensive defencemen? He’ll probably be THE guy in Kingston.
I certainly didn’t think Erik Cernak wasn’t going to be much after a pedestrian D+2 year in Erie.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This feels like the time they drafted Tim Boyle because Bob Janecyk thought he was the best player at some shithole tournament in Boston, despite the fact that the guy was 19 years old and 7th on his high school team in scoring.

Roger scored a couple fluke goals at the OHL showcase and the Sens fell in love.

I know we don't like this pick but this is crazy talk. The Sens would NOT draft some guy just because he scored a couple of goals. It looks like a bad pick but let's try to be realistic here.

He was not picked because of a few goals. He was picked because he's 6'4. :yo:

Reactions: Emerica and ijif

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Whole draft just reeks of trying to be the smartest scout in the room. Not inspiring coming from the best aspect of the organization in its scouting staff.

So strange going from what was probably one of, if not the best draft in the league in 2020 to the absolute worst, without a shadow of a doubt, a year later.

It was Covid year, going to be lots of different rankings. In saying that, going in with what seems to be a game plan of ignoring the guys who were doing well, and trying to find a diamond painted like a piece of coal from missed time or no season, is unsurprisingly backfiring at the moment.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad