Prospect Info: 49th Overall - Ben Roger (D)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The guys at HockeyProspect.com like this kid. Had him ranked 57th.

Have good things to say about his skating and IQ, but definitely a project.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Look, I get the scouts did their studying, but taking a guy who hasn’t played in over a year 49th overall is puzzling to me. I hope I eat crowe.

Last London Knight Ottawa took in the 2nd round is working out well and he was considered raw and a reach, but really fast. Formenton had questions about his hockey sense and finishing, seems to be panning out okay.

Reactions: BarberPole9

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So this guy pretty much spent the year training with the Belleville and not much else?

Why was it imperative to pick him early? Is the org worried about double agents within its ranks? :eek:
They just went off the scout’s ranking list.

The GM took the weekend off :)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Last London Knight Ottawa took in the 2nd round is working out well and he was considered raw and a reach, but really fast. Formenton had questions about his hockey sense and finishing, seems to be panning out okay.

How was Formenton considered a reach, ISS had him 32, McKenzie 45, central scouting 29th, he was taken around where he was expected to go.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
How was Formenton considered a reach, ISS had him 32, McKenzie 45, central scouting 29th, he was taken around where he was expected to go.

Not so much a reach per the scouting board but questions about his future impact and if he'd be a Ryan Dzingel (fast, not so smart, perimeter ice) or something more - he's obviously turned into something more.

Mann drafts for ceiling not for worst case - Formenten's potential ceiling could of been high and he's fulfilled it. That was more my point. IE the risk reward equation you see on scouting reports, Formenton fulfilled the Reward part and Rogers seems to be in the same category.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Not so much a reach per the scouting board but questions about his future impact and if he'd be a Ryan Dzingel (fast, not so smart, perimeter ice) or something more - he's obviously turned into something more.

Mann drafts for ceiling not for worst case - Formenten's potential ceiling could of been high and he's fulfilled it. That was more my point. IE the risk reward equation you see on scouting reports, Formenton fulfilled the Reward part and Rogers seems to be in the same category.
I didn't mind and/or didn't have strong feelings about the Formenton pick but doesn't he still project only to be an 'elite' third liner, with his finishing abilities still being raw?

I think expecting him to be guaranteed more than "just a Dzingle" is rather high expectations.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I didn't mind and/or didn't have strong feelings about the Formenton pick but doesn't he still project only to be an 'elite' third liner, with his finishing abilities still being raw?

I think expecting him to be guaranteed more than "just a Dzingle" is rather high expectations.

his grit alone makes him a better player then Dzingel. I like Dzingek and it was a great trade this year and Dz brought in a ton of good energy, but he goes quiet in games and for stretches of games. Formenton gets in your face and his PK presence alone makes him a better player. He’s already a better player then RD and he’s only played like 20 NHL games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->