Prospect Info: 49th Overall - Ben Roger (D)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
On the 2021 draft — I am quite surprised by Ostapchuk’s lack of production. I mean, I watched those two or three exhibition games he played and he looked very good. Certainly enough talent to put some points up at the junior level.

He’s only played 12 games.... any chance he’s been battling an injury of some kind?
May have to go to the teams board to see what his game to game play has been like

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I thought Peterka would be the pick to start the 2nd. I'd still prefer him over Jarventie. I liked the Greig pick quite a bit, though, and I wouldn't call him a reach (24th on Bob's list). Kleven wasn't a reach (36th on Bob's list), people were just mad because they thought he was an old school, no skill defensive defenseman. And you don't think Sokolov wasn't a reach, either. So that's plenty of non-reach picks.

I just think it's premature to say they totally blew it after the top 5. The 2020 draft class is progressing fairly well. 2021 is a different story so far. The Boucher-Ostapchuk-Roger trio in the first 2 rounds has been highly disappointing. I can't remember the last time Ottawa's top picks struggled out of the gate as bad as these 3 have.

Yeah our 2020 draft looks really great. Stutzle and Sanderson picks were fantastic. It doesn't mean there wasn't other great picks to make (Raymond and Drysdale who were among my favorites)

Ridly Greig was another great pick at 28th, like you said 24th on McKenzie's list

It's true that we should have found a way to get Peterka (23rd on McKenzie's) but gotta understand the appeal to Jarventie. However, he was 52nd on McKenzie's list, so what about we draft Peterka 32nd, and Jarventie and Kleven with 2 other second round picks obtained with 52 + 59 + 61... If one is gone, draft somebody else? But I guess they really didn't want to miss on Jarventie/Kleven so they better be working out!

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
People talk about Boucher being project pick, but this was always the guy screamed "two years away from being two years away".That isn't to say he'd have been my pick at the time, but of all the guys we need to "wait and see on" I think Roger tops the list.

Big, toolsy defenceman take longer to develop in the first place, and this guy missed basically two years worth of games. I'm not saying I'm holding my breath, but I'm willing to give this kid a slightly longer leash.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
People talk about Boucher being project pick, but this was always the guy screamed "two years away from being two years away".That isn't to say he'd have been my pick at the time, but of all the guys we need to "wait and see on" I think Roger tops the list.

Big, toolsy defenceman take longer to develop in the first place, and this guy missed basically two years worth of games. I'm not saying I'm holding my breath, but I'm willing to give this kid a slightly longer leash.
Perhaps I am mistaken but didn't Mann just say he was the best skating d man in the ohl? I was listening to two things at the same time, waiting for what Mann was going to say on Boucher.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Perhaps I am mistaken but didn't Mann just say he was the best skating d man in the ohl? I was listening to two things at the same time, waiting for what Mann was going to say on Boucher.
One of the best skating Dmen, but yeah.

Reactions: Icelevel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Defenders always take longer to develop and refine their game over forwards. Having said that, Roger had a meh playoffs and hope he takes it to another level next year

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This has to be the least hyped, least talked about prospect we’ve ever had.

Big reason is he doesn’t have a searchable name. Try to search his name in Twitter and you get like thousands of posts about people that are not him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Trent Mann as Dorion are Melnyk's puppets, collecting trash, keeping a payroll low and get on the deadbeat contracts. I would not be surprised if Dorion will trade for Weber to bump themselves to the bottom cap. If they did not have the money for Stone. Why would they have money for Tkachuk? It is a ridiculous organisation.

Ya … that didn’t happen.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Without signing his ELC - looks like he’ll be back in Kingston for his Overage year.
I think it’s for the best.
Yup we have 3 guys whose rights expire June 1st in Roger, Lattimer and Romeo. They have to show something this season or they are gone.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yup we have 3 guys whose rights expire June 1st in Roger, Lattimer and Romeo. They have to show something this season or they are gone.
I think Roger and Latimer will get contracts - they’ve both shown promise - I’m particularly fond of Latimer, amazing skater. Could be a good bottom-6 guy in the NHL - he should have a big year in the WHL.

Romeo on the otherhand - I don’t see anything from that kid, he’s a below average OHLer at this point.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think Roger and Latimer will get contracts - they’ve both shown promise - I’m particularly fond of Latimer, amazing skater. Could be a good bottom-6 guy in the NHL - he should have a big year in the WHL.

Romeo on the otherhand - I don’t see anything from that kid, he’s a below average OHLer at this point.

I don't see much difference between Romeo and Roger.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Completely forgot Roger was in the OHL the year for his overage season, anyone able to watch him play?

Not off to a good start statistically, but can't judge a guy like him off a statsheet without watching.

peacefrogdog

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone heard/seen much from him?
Stat line doesn't look good but I know that doesn't show the whole picture, especially for a weaker Kingston team.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Thank god for Ostapchuk, if it wasn’t for him this would be one of the most head scratching draft classes in franchise history. Clowned on by everyone at the time and nobody (except Ost) has looked good since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad