Prospect Info: 49th Overall - Ben Roger (D)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Juts a big, mobile, RHD from what I've read. No real offensive ability. Doesn't throw big hits. Just a big strong defenseman who can skate like the wind.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Really intrigued by this. Hopefully he can develop into a top 4 guy so we can run Chabot/JBD/Sanderson/Roger in the top 4. Big tough to play against guys who can skate and make a good breakout pass

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
From Brock Otten at OHL Prospects Blogspot
OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11
18. Ben Roger - Defense - London Knights
Much like Bryce Montgomery (ranked lower), Roger is a late born 2002 who was an OHL rookie the last time the league took the ice. And like Montgomery, Roger was used in a third pairing role, cycling in and out of London’s lineup due to their depth. Given his age, you would have liked to have seen him play more for evaluation purposes, but such is the hand that we have been dealt. At 6’4 and nearly 200lbs, Roger is going to entice scouts because of his size, right shot, and his strong mobility. In a lot of ways, Roger has the same sort of profile as a few of the defenders on this list, like his teammate Montgomery, or Ryan Mast, or Ranvir Gill Shane. The physical tools are there, but a lack of true responsibility and ice time may prevent a true assessment of potential. As mentioned, Roger’s best asset, without a doubt, is his feet. Even at 6’4, he has to be considered one of the smoothest skaters among this Ontario draft class. That is most certainly why NHL Central Scouting has him as high as they do. He generates speed quickly with his long, powerful strides and this allows him to be quick to loose pucks and aid in the exit out of London’s zone. Interestingly enough, the majority of the instances of Roger using his quickness to lead the attack or jump up in the play occurred earlier in the season, with him playing much more conservatively later on. It would have been very interesting to see how his confidence would have improved, materializing into potentially more created scoring chances this season. From a defensive perspective, Roger uses his feet to play aggressively when defending in transition, minding a close gap and using his stick to force turnovers. He occasionally flashes an ability to play the body, so like his offensive potential, it will be interesting to see if he becomes more physically assertive with age, experience, and confidence. It should be noted that Roger was excellent at the Erie showcase, excelling in all situations and giving us a nice glimpse of his offensive potential. This was especially true when he was quarterbacking the powerplay. His decision making with the puck in the defensive end did leave some to be desired, but I saw enough at the event to move him up my rankings. Roger's overall conservative approach last year makes it difficult to determine his upside, however 6'4, right shot defenders with mobility do not grow on trees, so he will most definitely generate a ton of interest at this year's draft.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
What I read, 6 foot 4 D with good gap control and skating. Shoots right, IF he plays right side it's a no Brainer why Ottawa took him, no idea though.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nick Paul passes the puck to Ben Roger.....A few comma,s and this could be really good

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Trent Mann = Aragorn all along with these picks?

Trent Mann as Dorion are Melnyk's puppets, collecting trash, keeping a payroll low and get on the deadbeat contracts. I would not be surprised if Dorion will trade for Weber to bump themselves to the bottom cap. If they did not have the money for Stone. Why would they have money for Tkachuk? It is a ridiculous organisation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad