OT: 49th Obsequious Banter Thread: Better Laught Than...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Looks like it's all just a stupid internet prank from the last guy who was with the robot, who just happens to be an Internet prankster. There's no security camera where the supposed "beating" happened. So a camera was placed there and recorded the stuff by someone.

Once that comes out Philly will still get trashed because no one will ever read that part.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Don't you remember when Eagles fans threw batteries at Santa and trashed and incinerated the friendly Canadian hitchhiker?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Looks like it's all just a stupid internet prank from the last guy who was with the robot, who just happens to be an Internet prankster. There's no security camera where the supposed "beating" happened. So a camera was placed there and recorded the stuff by someone.

Once that comes out Philly will still get trashed because no one will ever read that part.

Wait so the robot lives? Or did he just stage the beating?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok .....don't want to get into a long winded story about my dealing with Verizon Fios yesterday b/c I may just rage but these cable companies are just the biggest shlongs ever..

Who has Fios and cut their cable and just pays for broadband service? What is your broadband plan 50/50, 75/75 etc and how much are you paying?

I was on the phone for about an hour haggling with them and I just hung up out of frustration. My stupid Triple Play expires mid month and I'm trying to cut the cord but they are making it extremely difficult. The clowns changed their offerings when you don't sign up for a contract making it so cost prohibitive even for just internet it seems. I swear their practices are so anti-consumer.....but we know this. Just irks me how jerky they can be.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Ok .....don't want to get into a long winded story about my dealing with Verizon Fios yesterday b/c I may just rage but these cable companies are just the biggest shlongs ever..

Who has Fios and cut their cable and just pays for broadband service? What is your broadband plan 50/50, 75/75 etc and how much are you paying?

I was on the phone for about an hour haggling with them and I just hung up out of frustration. My stupid Triple Play expires mid month and I'm trying to cut the cord but they are making it extremely difficult. The clowns changed their offerings when you don't sign up for a contract making it so cost prohibitive even for just internet it seems. I swear their practices are so anti-consumer.....but we know this. Just irks me how jerky they can be.

Why you switching from them? Reason I ask is that, I have had xfinity for a while now and am in the process of building a new home. We are "lucky" in that our neighborhood is one of the few that actually has Fios. Not a big fan of it? We really are taking a look at them.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Why you switching from them? Reason I ask is that, I have had xfinity for a while now and am in the process of building a new home. We are "lucky" in that our neighborhood is one of the few that actually has Fios. Not a big fan of it? We really are taking a look at them.

Not necessarily switching...just trying to cut the cord and have broadband for streaming. Problem is I kind of need the phone service since I have a grandfathered plan with Verizon wireless where I have unlimited data but only 450 unlimited minutes. I use the landline to supplement my calling but I can work around it if I cut that service as well. Just really trying to have internet so I can stream with my Roku and maybe later the new Apple TV. I also want to keep HBO which they are giving me for "free" until april but I can get HBO Now through their streaming service for 15 bucks a month. Then I might get Sling TV for another 20 bucks so that is 35 bucks there. I intend to see the regional sports teams (Flyers and Sixers) through the respective "stream" services that are not to be discussed here...both a 100 bucks for the year (that averages to about 17 bucks a month). So basically what am I really going to save trying to cut the cable cord when a bundle will basically average out to around the price I would be paying for all the streaming services I want (17+20+15+Internet= approx. $100 or more) so I can watch only what I want and not be tied into a contract for 2 years but also not have landline service?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Me. 50/50. I pay 55 for FioS internet only.

Thanks...what I would want....but again seems me trying to cut the cord and still see all that I want to see won't save me much at all...if anything.

Do you use the "sports...streams" not to be discussed here? Can you view them ok without any buffering or loss?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Thanks...what I would want....but again seems me trying to cut the cord and still see all that I want to see won't save me much at all...if anything.

Do you use the "sports...streams" not to be discussed here? Can you view them ok without any buffering or loss?

I pay a little less than 100 for everything I stream now and use an HD ant. for Eagles games / public channels. Just double check how far you are from the HD towers (I'm 19.3 miles from mine and I purchased a 20 mile one--probably should have gone 50 mile detection). There are websites that'll list the locations.

Still cheaper than the periodic attempts by the cable giants to up my package up to 120-160 periodically, and cheaper time wise than constantly switching between them (and they keep saying the other companies are cutting their lines in my box, fudging it up, etc) to get better rates or trying to win an Emmy by threatening to cancel to get better rates, but not having any true intention of cancelling. Part of the reason to drop them to basically nothing is the principle of the matter (channel packages, the high fees when the cables have already been laid, the internet is almost a necessary utility).

I don't have any issues with anything I stream. Some programs you can stream for free and others you can't. Roku has a large selection of items to stream. Some but not all allow you to switch servers, which usually clears up any buffering issues. When you have a lot of streaming programs, you can use Plex media server to manage everything in one spot, but Roku has almost everything someone is looking for. If you're concerned about buffering, make sure you get a good Roku and pay for nice bandwidth. Make sure people in your house aren't constantly soaking bandwidth playing Counterstrike online. Mine slows down a bit if someone loads a funny image forum thread with a lot of gifs, or begins to download a massive program that soaks a lot of bandwidth like a Windows 10 upgrade. Still, sometimes you don't notice it at all.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I pay a little less than 100 for everything I stream now and use an HD ant. for Eagles games / public channels. Just double check how far you are from the HD towers (I'm 19.3 miles from mine and I purchased a 20 mile one--probably should have gone 50 mile detection). There are websites that'll list the locations.

Still cheaper than the periodic attempts by the cable giants to up my package up to 120-160 periodically, and cheaper time wise than constantly switching between them (and they keep saying the other companies are cutting their lines in my box, fudging it up, etc) to get better rates or trying to win an Emmy by threatening to cancel to get better rates, but not having any true intention of cancelling. Part of the reason to drop them to basically nothing is the principle of the matter (channel packages, the high fees when the cables have already been laid, the internet is almost a necessary utility).

I don't have any issues with anything I stream. Some programs you can stream for free and others you can't. Roku has a large selection of items to stream. Some but not all allow you to switch servers, which usually clears up any buffering issues. When you have a lot of streaming programs, you can use Plex media server to manage everything in one spot, but Roku has almost everything someone is looking for. If you're concerned about buffering, make sure you get a good Roku and pay for nice bandwidth. Make sure people in your house aren't constantly soaking bandwidth playing Counterstrike online. Mine slows down a bit if someone loads a funny image forum thread with a lot of gifs, or begins to download a massive program that soaks a lot of bandwidth like a Windows 10 upgrade. Still, sometimes you don't notice it at all.

Thanks...great insight. Definitely for me now it is becoming a matter of principle and limiting the cash they get out of me as vulture-like middle men.

Right now I have 50/50 broadband and want to just keep it to see how it works for me come hockey season. I just have the Roku stick but may want to get the new apple TV or a better Roku as you note.

Yeah I have an HD antenna on my upstairs smart TV with no cable and it works pretty well. Not sure the distance.

As far as the cable companies...they are suing the net neutrality ruling right now. Not sure how long that will drag out...but it just shows once again that they will stop at nothing when it comes to their monopolistic practices...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ok boys....this is a message to be safe this summer.

I accidently slipped while mowing my lawn and had my foot slide into the blade. I have images of my big toe but know that I lost the top of my toe, half the nail, and am cut down to an exposed bone. They could not give me stitches at there is no skin left. Somewhere in the back yard is the rest of my toe....haha. It could have been worse of my foot went under at just a little different angle. Could have been all the toes or even foot. So please be what I wasn't and be safe. Accidents happen.

:teach:

There goes my sandals modeling contract.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That was one of my biggest fears for years. Had a close call once but got my foot up before it slipped under. It happens so fast you really don't have time to think about killing the engine.

So, you good?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That was one of my biggest fears for years. Had a close call once but got my foot up before it slipped under. It happens so fast you really don't have time to think about killing the engine.

So, you good?

Yeah...amazing how quick it happened. I quickly ran down the hill telling the wife I cut my toe off. There was a big hole in the shoe and could see top part of the toe gone.
She quickly got the shoe and sock off then into a clean bucket of water to keep it clean while she got things together to make a dressing for it. I was lightheaded but besides that, I was surprising myself with how calm I was. It was my first time really getting cut/injured in my 40+ years but I guess I got my mom's high tolerance of pain.

Anyways, the wife got me wrapped up then off to Emergency. Not much they could do..took X-rays and have a fracture of a small bone. So all they could do it wrap it up again and said I need to change the dressing in 2 days.

Luckily, my wife is a nurse so she was quick to act. Lots of blood for sure. I really would have been scared if I was alone though. Scary for sure.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

I accidently slipped while mowing my lawn and had my foot slide into the blade. I have images of my big toe but know that I lost the top of my toe, half the nail, and am cut down to an exposed bone. They could not give me stitches at there is no skin left. Somewhere in the back yard is the rest of my toe....haha. It could have been worse of my foot went under at just a little different angle. Could have been all the toes or even foot. So please be what I wasn't and be safe. Accidents happen.

Sorry to hear that and good reminder accidents can happen. I def am too casual with my mowing techniques, this story will encourage more caution on my part.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sorry to hear that and good reminder accidents can happen. I def am too casual with my mowing techniques, this story will encourage more caution on my part.

I know that I still will need to mow...but will certainly go look into better footwear instead of just old sneakers. But the hill I was mowing at the time, no more. I will whipper snip instead. It will take much longer but certainly much safer.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
I know that I still will need to mow...but will certainly go look into better footwear instead of just old sneakers. But the hill I was mowing at the time, no more. I will whipper snip instead. It will take much longer but certainly much safer.

Steel tip boots!

I lopped off the first centimeter of my thumb last February chopping basil for my pizza which I had been drunkinly anticipating coming out of the oven for a good 20 minutes :rant: .

I taped/bandaged the piece back on and switched from beer to whisky like an idiot though (sounded like a great idea after 6-8 beers) Thinking it would re-attach. It didn't. Urgent Care the next morning told me it would just fall off after drying out...Long story short, it all grew back, finger print and all save for a tiny 2-3 millimeter section on the very tip of my thumb which feels odd to the touch now, like any scar tissue.

Good luck and keep it clean, infections suuuuuck.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Yikes! Good to hear you are okay. Imagine how prophetic your name would be if you had lost the foot :phew:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad