GDT: #45| St. Louis Blues @ New York Islanders | January 15th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 2-1

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Whatever Barzal did in regulation was wiped out by the OT. He was brilliant, and not just the pass on the winner. The best was when he won a puck back that was tied up along the boards and retained possession with some great work behind the goal and into the corner.

He didn't have a great game, but he is our gamebreaker and he made a big play that led us to a W. That's what franchise players do.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He didn't have a great game, but he is our gamebreaker and he made a big play that led us to a W. That's what franchise players do.
In OT I want Barzal dong exactly what he did in regulation tonight. In regulation I want Barzal to play a little more north-south, a little more structured.

Reactions: BTrotts19

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Besides that the Blues play that annoying, pest game that doesn’t give you space. Perron and ROR are especially annoying, JMO. That said, I’d take ROR over Nelson any day; had buff kept him they’d be more of a threat. Too bad Allen doesn’t play more.

Toews another solid game. His pokecheck is elite, he’s strong on the puck, can evade, triggering the transition.

Defensively we played structured, after the first we lost a lot of battles and we’re too easy.

Great first, not much else outside of Lehner earning the starter role. I’m almost convinced he’s a top 15 starter.

Play hard against NJD and add a playoff buffer.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I’d like to see Dal color on the power play. He looked pretty good 6-5 waiting for the call.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I don't disagree but heard them talking about this the other day on NHL radio. The biggest issue might be the number of games he has played. Greiss has actually played more games that Lehner, so the fact that he doesn't play the bulk of the games could hurt him in the long run even at this pace.

Both Islanders goalies have been playing really, really well. From a Swedish point of view I'm really happy about Lehner finally showing his true potential, not surprised at all but happy.

The number of stupid Ottawa trades are so high I lost count several years ago, they developed him, had him and dumped him.

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
As mentioned, for whatever reason, the Blues outwork NYI this year. They’ve won 4 of 6 periods; BT alluded to that and how frustrating they can be (playing against). Surprised we got the 4 pts.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
Another robbery of the Blues, but my good this team just keep finding ways to win. Lehner was a wall again and the defence is so good in keeping the danger shoots to a minimum.
The Mayfield and Toews par is just a match made in heaven. They fill out their game perfectly!

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Far be it for me to give any criticism to Lehner but man does he love to give up rebounds. Don't mean to nitpick because he has been absolutely great but I'm surprised the rebounds really haven't bit him in the a**.

Not sure about that.

But extension considerations, absolutely.

Best Islander tonight, earned the interview w Deb.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Toews is never getting sent down. He’s so much better than leddy. Only a matter of time before he’s on PP1.

Also pulock shot is so good... at missing the net. Just shoot low for f***s sake pulock. You can’t snipe

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Btw, I f***ing love Casey Cizikas. Him stealing that drop pass ultimately led to our prolonged possession and winning the game. A beautiful mix of smarts and hustle there. He's so much more than just a fourth line grinder but excels in that role when we need him. How many 4th liners start OT for a team?

Really glad to see him having some success in the box score this year. He's a guy who can legitimately pot 15-20 goals a year while doing everything else really well too. I hope he's an Islander for life.

TheBigBadCat

Nov 7, 2006
NJ
Btw, I ****ing love Casey Cizikas. Him stealing that drop pass ultimately led to our prolonged possession and winning the game. A beautiful mix of smarts and hustle there. He's so much more than just a fourth line grinder but excels in that role when we need him. How many 4th liners start OT for a team?

Really glad to see him having some success in the box score this year. He's a guy who can legitimately pot 15-20 goals a year while doing everything else really well too. I hope he's an Islander for life.

one thing is for sure , Cizikas comes to play night after night , love this kid !

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Btw, I ****ing love Casey Cizikas. Him stealing that drop pass ultimately led to our prolonged possession and winning the game. A beautiful mix of smarts and hustle there. He's so much more than just a fourth line grinder but excels in that role when we need him. How many 4th liners start OT for a team?

Zeke is excellent

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Does anyone know if the NHL just posts the entire OT? That is something I really, really would love to watch again from the puck drop till the win.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Toews is never getting sent down. He’s so much better than leddy. Only a matter of time before he’s on PP1.

Also pulock shot is so good... at missing the net. Just shoot low for ****s sake pulock. You can’t snipe
Low shots from the point have a higher chance of getting blocked which can turn into dangerous turnovers. Most d-men focus more on their shot not getting blocked and less on hitting the net because it's a safer play, and I'm almost certain it's what Trotz is telling them to do.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Low shots from the point have a higher chance of getting blocked which can turn into dangerous turnovers. Most d-men focus more on their shot not getting blocked and less on hitting the net because it's a safer play, and I'm almost certain it's what Trotz is telling them to do.

There was a report earlier this season, when it looked like Pulock was rounding into offensive form, that Trotz was telling him to take a little off his shot to be more accurate. You don't need to plaster it through the glass every time, he still shoots it harder than most of the NHL and it's something Trotz taught Weber to do as well.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
There was a report earlier this season, when it looked like Pulock was rounding into offensive form, that Trotz was telling him to take a little off his shot to be more accurate. You don't need to plaster it through the glass every time, he still shoots it harder than most of the NHL and it's something Trotz taught Weber to do as well.

100%...you watch Brent Burns and he snaps off quick accurate shots that either get deflected in or sneak past traffic and go in. He seems to care very little about shooting 100 MPH and I'm sure he could if he really wanted to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad