GDT: #45| St. Louis Blues @ New York Islanders | January 15th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 2-1

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Lehner needs to start being included in the vezina talk

I don't disagree but heard them talking about this the other day on NHL radio. The biggest issue might be the number of games he has played. Greiss has actually played more games that Lehner, so the fact that he doesn't play the bulk of the games could hurt him in the long run even at this pace.

Reactions: 21 and bronxirish

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't disagree but heard them talking about this the other day on NHL radio. The biggest issue might be the number of games he has played. Greiss has actually played more games that Lehner, so the fact that he doesn't play the bulk of the games could hurt him in the long run even at this pace.
He does play the bulk of the games now. The only reason he has so relatively few games is because he was injured for, what, three weeks?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Just curious, but anyone know the isles record last year after 45 games?

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
He does play the bulk of the games now. The only reason he has so relatively few games is because he was injured for, what, three weeks?

I hope so, but still unlikely he gets 50 starts as Greiss will get his share including on back to backs. (50 starts for Lehner would mean 28 of the last 37 games)

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I hope so, but still unlikely he gets 50 starts as Greiss will get his share including on back to backs. (50 starts for Lehner would mean 28 of the last 37 games)
If he keeps this up, which seems impossible given the numbers we're seeing, but if he does and we make the playoffs, he'll be a finalist at the very least.

Reactions: 19 in a row

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Ah it was so fun getting shit on all preseason.

e8uqsbsugha21.jpg

Then in January, when we are 2 points behind the almighty Leafs.

vvh3x5uyfp721.jpg

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
Great game by trade the bum away Leddy getting old Boychuk going to take awhile Pulock he is here because of his contract Mayfield AHLer Toews and why is he still here Pelech, congrats for solid play.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Wow they played rancid tonight got 2 points, they are 4-2 in their last 6 games and in any other regime we would be 0-4-2 in the same time period

The Anders Lee penalty and he has taken some dumb ones this year, completely changed the momentum of the game.

Blues are a smart team, savvy vets, solid defenders, luckily they only have 1 line so after the Perron line is off the ice, they can drive possession and not finish.

The Good

Clutterbuck - our best player tonight and has been solid for a few games

Lehner - he doesn't give up the easy goals and that is a difference maker

Pelech - probably his best game defensively this year, about 8 or 9 solid plays tonight

That Dunn kid - he is going to be a very good player, St Louis has a great defensive core.

The Bad

Power play - it is flat awful, almost feel like they should put Barzal out there with the 4th line and they would get better results

MDC - continues to have a cloak of invisibility

Mayfield - outside of that power check, he didn't play so well

I think the nugget in playing bad and going 4-2 and being 3 points out of first, is that a key acquisition or 2 at the deadline will elevate this team.

Reactions: Keyserfrans

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Great game by trade the bum away Leddy getting old Boychuk going to take awhile Pulock he is here because of his contract Mayfield AHLer Toews and why is he still here Pelech, congrats for solid play.

I don't think the defense can be blamed at all, we have allowed the least amount of goals in the NHL, our 6 are very good, Leddy had that bad turnover that led to a power play, Mayfield had a penalty and bad giveway, everyone else played well. We only allowed one goal and Lehner didn't have to make that many great saves, outside of the 7 shot power play.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Totally agree on Clutter, he has been great as of late but I still don't see what Trotz (and other coaches for that matter) see putting him on the PP. Do not necessarily agree on Dal Colle. He was not good tonight but he has looked like he belongs. He's noticeably stronger and is doing things like solid forechecking which in the past he simply couldn't do. I think the thing with him is we have to get out of our head the thought of him being a big point producer. He's a third line player that can give a little punch. That's his ceiling. Think Filppula, not Barzal.

Wow they played rancid tonight got 2 points, they are 4-2 in their last 6 games and in any other regime we would be 0-4-2 in the same time period

The Anders Lee penalty and he has taken some dumb ones this year, completely changed the momentum of the game.

Blues are a smart team, savvy vets, solid defenders, luckily they only have 1 line so after the Perron line is off the ice, they can drive possession and not finish.

The Good

Clutterbuck - our best player tonight and has been solid for a few games

Lehner - he doesn't give up the easy goals and that is a difference maker

Pelech - probably his best game defensively this year, about 8 or 9 solid plays tonight

That Dunn kid - he is going to be a very good player, St Louis has a great defensive core.

The Bad

Power play - it is flat awful, almost feel like they should put Barzal out there with the 4th line and they would get better results

MDC - continues to have a cloak of invisibility

Mayfield - outside of that power check, he didn't play so well

I think the nugget in playing bad and going 4-2 and being 3 points out of first, is that a key acquisition or 2 at the deadline will elevate this team.

Reactions: dood

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Maybe too much scoreboard watching but hey I enjoy it.. 4 pts up on Buffalo with game in hand and up 4 in ROW... Will be rooting for Calgary against them tomorrow.. Canes lose tonight.. Some daylight between us and 9th place. Keep it rolling.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Just compare our defense to last year. My god what a difference a coach makes!

I don't think the defense can be blamed at all, we have allowed the least amount of goals in the NHL, our 6 are very good, Leddy had that bad turnover that led to a power play, Mayfield had a penalty and bad giveway, everyone else played well. We only allowed one goal and Lehner didn't have to make that many great saves, outside of the 7 shot power play.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Points when you don't deserve them, hell, bank 'em now for when you do but aren't so lucky.

Only caught the third/OT and chose the Blues broadcast because I really like John Kelly (two of the really nice current voices: ours and theirs), but that was some pretty choppy, dreary hockey, aside from Barz' OT shift, which was a masterclass in understanding the other team's fatigue. Dog days of winter, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad