GDT: #45 FLYERS 2 at Devils 3, Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I told you Gordon was far worse than Hakstol. I said it. You know I did. You said, "I don't watch the Phantoms, but if you say so....."

Please don't use this line to prove a dead point.
1. Do you think I was making my comment directly at you?
2. I was making my comment to the anti-Hak brigade in general, which took the stance that Hakstol is the root of all evil and was holding the team back.
3. I repeatedly said I didn't think Hakstol was at the far left of the curve of NHL coaches, despite the anti-Hak brigade's consistent insinuations; and I quoted the lyrics to "Won't Get Fooled Again" and posted the ending scene to The Graduate multiple times to emphasize what I thought was likely to happen if Hak was replaced.
4. Meet the new boss, even worse than the old boss; the fleeting glee of the Hakstol firing quickly faded, didn't it?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
1. Do you think I was making my comment directly at you?
2. I was making my comment to the anti-Hak brigade in general, which took the stance that Hakstol is the root of all evil and was holding the team back.
3. I repeatedly said I didn't think Hakstol was at the far left of the curve of NHL coaches, despite the anti-Hak brigade's consistent insinuations; and I quoted the lyrics to "Won't Get Fooled Again" and posted the ending scene to The Graduate multiple times to emphasize what I thought was likely to happen if Hak was replaced.
4. Meet the new boss, even worse than the old boss; the fleeting glee of the Hakstol firing quickly faded, didn't it?

Hak sucks
Hexy sucks
Coaches suck
Gordon sucks
More than 5 players suck

A lot or people can be right at the same time

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
mQSpqWM.gif

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm totally stealing this gif hive leader. Best evah!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Didn’t even list him.

i listed half the team

Yeah, lets look at this claim.

McKenna (temporary emergency goalie because of injuries)
Folin (#7)
Haag (real problem)
Lindblom (young guy with potential, not a problem)
Simmer (real problem, will be traded in a few weeks)
Laughton (4th liner, not a problem)
Raffl (4th liner, not a problem)
Varone (4th liner)
Weise (4th liner)

The bold 5 are the only ones who need to be replaced... the other 4 are perfectly fine and wouldn't hurt the team at all if used properly.

So the "worst constructed roster in the NHL" has problems with bottom 6 forwards, bottom pair defensemen, an emergency waiver claim goalie due to injuries, and a rookie.

If your above claim was true, I'd expect to see core, top 6, top 4 players on there.

What we need to do is to replace these bottom of the lineup guys with youth then fix the coaching staff, and we should be in good shape. You're making the roster seem way worse than it actually is. On top of that, a fresh start and a real coach will do wonders to make the underachieving core players bounce back. We know how good guys like Provorov and Ghost can be... they're just not playing like it right now. Same with the PP. These are temporary problems.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, lets look at this claim.

McKenna (temporary emergency goalie because of injuries)
Folin (#7)
Haag (real problem)
Lindblom (young guy with potential, not a problem)
Simmer (real problem, will be traded in a few weeks)
Laughton (4th liner, not a problem)
Raffl (4th liner, not a problem)
Varone (4th liner)
Weise (4th liner)

The bold 5 are the only ones who need to be replaced... the other 4 are perfectly fine and wouldn't hurt the team at all if used properly.

So the "worst constructed roster in the NHL" has problems with bottom 6 forwards, bottom pair defensemen, an emergency waiver claim goalie due to injuries, and a rookie.

If your above claim was true, I'd expect to see core, top 6, top 4 players on there.

What we need to do is to replace these bottom of the lineup guys with youth then fix the coaching staff, and we should be in good shape. You're making the roster seem way worse than it actually is. On top of that, a fresh start and a real coach will do wonders to make the underachieving core players bounce back. We know how good guys like Provorov and Ghost can be... they're just not playing like it right now. Same with the PP. These are temporary problems.

Fine, but easily replaced with faster more suitable players. We need to break a culture and coaching flaws, get rid of them

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
You’re not being attacked and I’m not even arguing with you. Relax.

All I did was point out that it wasn’t @Tripod who started with the labels.

The fact that you’re this hyper-defensive shows that you know you’re in the wrong.

no, it doesn't

that could be one explanation.

It means I'm annoyed.

My original post wasn';t to be a serious thing and your buddy Tripod jumped on me.

I attempted to clarify what was orginally going through mind my mind when I made the post and that still wassn't good enough for him.

The entire thing stemmed from this thought, "Hart is the only guy I would never trade from this team."

Reactions: hatcher

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Perhaps Lindblom's worst game that I've seen in terms of overall performance. Looks a step too slow in most sequences, and he needs to focus a good portion of this offseason on conditioning. Somewhat surprising as that was supposed to be a strong quality of his since he played against full grown men in the SHL. Send him to workout with Provo in Russia.
Weise needs to go. Cost them a goal because he can't receive passes and make smart plays in the NZ. Only a matter of time Simmonds is shipped by the looks of things. Patrick... really unfortunate that he's looking as sloppy as he is. Definitely looks like a confidence thing because there's still moments of brilliance you can see. Doubly unfortunate that Hischier scored today to rub it in a little more.
Gudas is upping his value every game, and I wouldn't be surprised if he garnered a decent prospect and a 2nd rounder at the deadline.
Horribly frustrating that now when they have a guy playing out of his mind to keep them in games, they can't finish worth a damn. As opposed to earlier this season, when they were scoring, but had sieves in net.

Reactions: marcsson68

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fine, but easily replaced with faster more suitable players. We need to break a culture and coaching flaws, get rid of them
Sure.

Assuming we have a real coaching staff who will use them correctly and the guys having underachieving years (like Provorov) bounce back to a sustainable level, can we agree that this basic foundation of the roster (don’t worry about exact lines/pairs) would be good for next year?

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
JVR-Frost-???
Laughton-Vorobyev-NAK

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers
???

Hart
???

(Then obviously make adjustments if we get a big name FA or a top 2 draft pick)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hak sucks
Hexy sucks
Coaches suck
Gordon sucks
More than 5 players suck

A lot or people can be right at the same time
I don’t disagree.
I was in favor of replacing Hakstol.
I just said the roster was the bigger problem & it wasn’t going to make the difference a lot of people acted as if it would.
I also said that if the Flyers fired Hak, to expect Gordon to be interim for the rest of the season; that I didn’t know much about him but be careful what you wish for.
Magua did say Gordon was even worse; however, the majority of the anti-Hak mob acted as if ANYONE would be better than the scourge of Hakstol, the biggest moron in NHL hockey.
Well, you’d think their play the last 10 games would indicate there’s bigger problems with this team than coaching; but, no, there are still plenty of posters saying it’s not the players’ fault; the roster is good; & coaching is still the biggest issue.
Maybe they should realize the answer isn’t nearly as simple as they thought, & the roster isn’t nearly as good as they thought.
I agree the coaching needs an overhaul, but it’s also not like Gordon’s minor league record is indicative of complete incompetence.
It’s a bad team.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It's the bad reads that happen away from the puck that f*** literally everything up in the NZ and the Dzone for this team. Guys watching the play, out of position, not giving the puck carrier a "check down" option, which forces him to push the play through a clogged NZ.

That's a systems problem. Coaches do systems. It's also a hockey IQ problem. Players do hockey IQ.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I don’t disagree.
I was in favor of replacing Hakstol.
I just said the roster was the bigger problem & it wasn’t going to make the difference a lot of people acted as if it would.
I also said that if the Flyers fired Hak, to expect Gordon to be interim for the rest of the season; that I didn’t know much about him but be careful what you wish for.
Magua did say Gordon was even worse; however, the majority of the anti-Hak mob acted as if ANYONE would be better than the scourge of Hakstol, the biggest moron in NHL hockey.
Well, you’d think their play the last 10 games would indicate there’s bigger problems with this team than coaching; but, no, there are still plenty of posters saying it’s not the players’ fault; the roster is good; & coaching is still the biggest issue.
Maybe they should realize the answer isn’t nearly as simple as they thought, & the roster isn’t nearly as good as they thought.
I agree the coaching needs an overhaul, but it’s also not like Gordon’s minor league record is indicative of complete incompetence.
It’s a bad team.

blasphemy,
any critique of the roster is really some veiled endorsement of Hakstol.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The best season this "group of players" has had was last year under Hakstol when they won in spite of their goaltenders.

Lavi in 2011-12, had Hartnell (37 goals), Jagr (19), Briere (16), Read (24), B Schenn (12), Talbot (19), Kimmo, Carle, Coburn, Mezaros in addition to the five core guys still remaining (G, Couts, Voracek, Simmonds, Raffl).

Of those players, only B Schenn and Coburn are still playing in the NHL.
So Hextall had to blow it up, one way or another.
Just didn't blow up enough, so the rebuild is taking longer than we'd like (and should have started under Holmgren).

Patrick and Lindblom will be fine, Patrick set up at least 4 scoring chances, it would be nice if he had wingers who could finish.
Even before the third period, Flyers lead 12-8 in scoring chances and 6-2 in high danger chances.
Blackwood is a good goalie, and someone didn't give Jobu his beer.

upload_2019-1-12_16-36-1.jpeg

For all the whining about scrub players:
Weise 5:43 ES
Folin 6:46
Varone 6:57
Hagg 9:52

Sanheim showed what happens when you play a talented but inexperienced player against top opposing players, his numbers are way down since he's been paired with Provorov instead of sheltered with Gudas. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it in a lost season, but there's a reason it wasn't done when the team had a shot at the playoffs.

Help is on the way, but Fletcher better make big changes, and I don't mean trade a lot of draft picks and prospects so we can overpay Stone on an extension and maybe win two more games the rest of this season. I'm talking about breaking up the old gang and moving the team forward. Clear house at the TDL and become a major buyer in the trade market and free agency in June.

One step back to take three steps forward in June.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
ok for someone who isn't fighting with me. you seem eager to always back up your buddy.

argue with one, you argue with all I suppose.
Oh yeah? :laugh:

Which specific person am I backing up there?

I was responding to your blatant lie that people say any player critique is automatically defending Hakstol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad