GDT: #45 FLYERS 2 at Devils 3, Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm glad that Holmgren isn't in the GM chair, as his impulsivity and horrible cap management scare me to death. Though, I agree with you in that his tenure at least had some excitement to it. I don't mind having his input and ideas as long as he isn't the one making the final decisions on personnel moves; Holmgren will probably come up with some creative ideas, but thankfully Fletcher is a check and balance.

I know magnumpi disagrees, but I'm very in favor of having Bob Clarke's input, as I think he has a very sharp hockey mind but isn't as crazy as Holmgren. Lombardi, similarly, I'm fine with his input as long as he isn't in charge.

They have some good minds who won't stand for the current makeup of the team. It's definitely more exciting again than Hextall's horribly boring tenure, which is a plus.
Input is always good....but I am not sure I want Clarke's input on specific guys. No idea how much hockey he watches.

But I am sure Clarke will talk about things like team identity...which we lack. You were 100% correct in Shero having a clear identity that he wants the Devils to have. Fast players and play fast. Hextall went after 2-way guys more than anything it seems. But I, like you, have been saying for awhile I wish we had some "burners" that can fly. Speed creates problem for teams. Makes them rush passes. Makes them make mistakes. Get in on the forecheck quicker. Or like today Nico pulled away from Trav and Provy. Also have said many times I wish we had a Wilson or Wood type on our team at F...or multiple. Being older, I do miss the Flyers being a team that opponents hated to play against...especially in the Spectrum.

At least with these loses, it does not give upper Mgt hope to make the playoffs this year. Sell what you can now, and be big buyers in the summer.

6 weeks till the deadline!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But we know now there is a way bigger problem then the old coach.
But Hatch, very few people said Hak was the ONLY issue...yet some keep saying that's what "the Hive" said. And it's just not true.

Hell...last summer I said we needed a #3C, a top 4 vet Dman and a G. We got none of those. And that's why I changed my avatar to the "Hextall, you have failed this city". Because last summer was when we finally had cap space AND the assets to build a better team....AND fire Hak. He didn't.

Also, guys like Magua said over and over Gordon was worse than Hak so this coaching change has proved little. Just that Gordon is not an NHl level coach too. Hak WAS a problem. He was never the only problem. Just like Lappy is a problem. But not teh only one.

Glak18

Jan 9, 2019
I know this season sucks donkey balls, but the culture from the team, the players and even the fans are mind boggling. Perhaps I am starting to show signs of getting old, but I remember a time when people actually gave a shit about the TEAM. You have people justifying to no end for their favorite player and blaming others for their mistakes. It really is the fanboy generation. Are people so worried about their fantasy leagues that as long as their players get a point they are content?

I remember when fan favorites were traded and it was heartbreaking, but it didn't matter because the team got better for it. They became a better TEAM. Far as I am concerned trade anyone or everyone, just as long as the TEAM is better. Give me a team of hardworking scrubs with no big names as long as the team plays as a team. Screw your favorite player, play better.

Reactions: tucson83 and BiggE

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know this season sucks donkey balls, but the culture from the team, the players and even the fans are mind boggling. Perhaps I am starting to show signs of getting old, but I remember a time when people actually gave a **** about the TEAM. You have people justifying to no end for their favorite player and blaming others for their mistakes. It really is the fanboy generation. Are people so worried about their fantasy leagues that as long as their players get a point they are content?

I remember when fan favorites were traded and it was heartbreaking, but it didn't matter because the team got better for it. They became a better TEAM. Far as I am concerned trade anyone or everyone, just as long as the TEAM is better. Give me a team of hardworking scrubs with no big names as long as the team plays as a team. Screw your favorite player, play better.
You realize that everyone people label a player as "untouchable" it's because that player helps the TEAM win and moving them would hurt the TEAM, right?

Nobody is playing individual players over the TEAM.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But Hatch, very few people said Hak was the ONLY issue...yet some keep saying that's what "the Hive" said. And it's just not true.

Hell...last summer I said we needed a #3C, a top 4 vet Dman and a G. We got none of those. And that's why I changed my avatar to the "Hextall, you have failed this city". Because last summer was when we finally had cap space AND the assets to build a better team....AND fire Hak. He didn't.

Also, guys like Magua said over and over Gordon was worse than Hak so this coaching change has proved little. Just that Gordon is not an NHl level coach too. Hak WAS a problem. He was never the only problem. Just like Lappy is a problem. But not teh only one.

No, but a lot of people said the talent was fine, get rid of Hakstol and the team will be much improved.
While Gordon isn't a good coach, it's obvious that the talent was overrated.
Go look at the 2011-12 team, and tell me if it was Lavi or just having a lot of veteran talent depth that is the difference between now and then.

We have young, talented players, but they're a couple years away, while the veteran core has probably already peaked.
Most NHL players don't peak at 20-21, just a few elite talents, any age curve will show 24-29 as the peak years for most players.
This is why complete rebuilds take 7-8 years, first obtaining the young players, then waiting a few years for them to mature.
So if you draft a bunch of guys in years 1-3, most don't really arrive until years 5-7 (when they're 22-24 years old).
And why top 5 picks accelerate a rebuild, because they arrive faster. But you usually only get one a year. And this ends as the team starts to improve.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, but a lot of people said the talent was fine, get rid of Hakstol and the team will be much improved.
Go look at the 2011-12 team, and tell me if it was Lavi or just having a lot of veteran talent depth that is the difference between now and then.

We have young, talented players, but they're a couple years away, while the veteran core has probably already peaked.
Most NHL players don't peak at 20-21, just a few elite talents, any age curve will show 24-29 as the peak years for most players.
This is why complete rebuilds take 7-8 years, first obtaining the young players, then waiting a few years for them to mature.
So if you draft a bunch of guys in years 1-3, most don't really arrive until years 5-7 (when they're 22-24 years old).
And why top 5 picks accelerate a rebuild, because they arrive faster. But you usually only get one a year. And this ends as the team starts to improve.

The coaching issue hasn't been removed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I hope you are including yourself in that group that said the talent is fine and overrated since you thought they would be a playoff team and you said Patrick could very well be as good as Tavares by the end of the year.

Right?

It's why people like myself want to ADD to team we have. It will help the upper end guys, as well as the kids who are not ready to be counted on for big production...like Patrick.

Bridge the gap!

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Input is always good....but I am not sure I want Clarke's input on specific guys. No idea how much hockey he watches.

But I am sure Clarke will talk about things like team identity...which we lack. You were 100% correct in Shero having a clear identity that he wants the Devils to have. Fast players and play fast. Hextall went after 2-way guys more than anything it seems. But I, like you, have been saying for awhile I wish we had some "burners" that can fly. Speed creates problem for teams. Makes them rush passes. Makes them make mistakes. Get in on the forecheck quicker. Or like today Nico pulled away from Trav and Provy. Also have said many times I wish we had a Wilson or Wood type on our team at F...or multiple. Being older, I do miss the Flyers being a team that opponents hated to play against...especially in the Spectrum.

At least with these loses, it does not give upper Mgt hope to make the playoffs this year. Sell what you can now, and be big buyers in the summer.

6 weeks till the deadline!

I'm pretty sure Clarke closely watches all of the Flyers games even when he's out of town. Hockey is his life, and in particular he lives for the Flyers organization. I think he is misunderstood by a lot of Flyers fans who think he's some kind of 1-dimensional rube. I've seen and read tons of interviews with him and he's quite intelligent, articulate, and thoughtful, and he has a very high aptitude for the game, which is why, combined with his extreme drive, he was able to play at such a high level despite lacking dynamic athleticism.

As you point out, one thing you have to imagine he'll be a big part of is getting their identity back, which they completely lost under Hextall. He probably will have his best value in how to restructure the roster thematically -- identity, attributes/positions they need to change, etc. -- but I'd imagine he's more of a 2nd opinion on specific players. People forget, but one of the first things he did when he took over the Flyers in his 2nd tenure was immediately revamp the defense, trading for Svoboda, Haller, Dykhuis, and Desjardins, and giving Therien a full-time spot as a 22 year old rookie. 5 different defensemen from the prior season by the time the playoffs came around, including 2 rookies. All could skate.

We definitely agree on the need for much more high-end speed, and in wanting a Wood or Wilson type player and being much harder to play against in general. I think they'll address the issue of needing to get some more nastiness to their game. Hopefully they understand the speed issue -- that's one thing about Lombardi that scares me; he never quite kept up with the way the game was changing in that regard, and Hextall was the same way. I would imagine Fletcher is aware, however.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Talent is fine, it just needs to be used properly.

Like I said earlier, we went from a horrible coach with a horrible system to a horrible coach with no system.

Stizzle, Magua, myself, and a few others said many times that Gordon is a horrible coach, and that was in the AHL... so it's no shock he didn't turn the team around once in the NHL.

What's hilarious is he's actually an improvement over Hak though. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad