GDT: #45 FLYERS 2 at Devils 3, Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Devils fan coming in peace. Hart looks like he will no doubt be a gem for you guys.

I saw some people in here saying the Devils were playing tight. That doesn't happen often lol. That last goal you guys scored with 2 seconds left is more of an example of how pathetic their team defense is and how bad their coaching can be.

Seriously, who the f*** calls for a line change with less than 10 seconds left in the game?

Maybe we'll be the #1 and #2 picks in the draft again.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
In the NHL, you need to be able to transition the puck out of the dzone into the NZ with possession. Sanheim and Gudas are the only ones able to do it with regularity this year, and it's showing. The blue line turnovers occur because the Flyers' D corps is having such a hard time making important first passes this year. Tonight is no different. They're turning it over to pinching dmen every other shift. They're having a hard time finding soft spots in the forecheck and using outlets to relieve pressure.

I'll die on this hill: the Flyers are a lethal quick strike offense. Though it hasn't been evident the last few weeks, they have smart, quick playmakers and a scoring touch on the back end and in the top 6. Their transition hockey is incredible when it's on, and horrendous when it isn't because of turnovers (like the Sixers). This is where guys like Folin, Hagg, and McDonald kill this team. They're never in the right spot to be used as an outlet when just getting possession of the puck in the dzone and if they are, they aren't capable of making a crisp first pass to effectively break out of the zone. The guys with real vision like Sanheim, Ghost, and Prov (sometimes Gudas) recognize this and are forced to either skate out the puck- inevitably through traffic- or force a pass in the NZ. And there are your turnovers. And that's why silly posters here call Ghost awful or rip Sanheim.

This is why the biggest need on this team is upgrading the hockey IQ on the back end. Get Morin in for AMac. Myers for Folin/Hagg. Suddenly you have Ghost, Prov, Sanheim, Gudas, Morin, and Myers. All of these players are capable of playing good defense (which for some reason we like to call "shut down defense" implying some big slow guy like Rathje back there. Idk) AND have the vision to recognize lapses in a forecheck- and have quick enough feet to get to the spot as an outlet and are capable of skating through open space or making a good first pass.

CASE IN POINT^^^^ End of the 2nd. Gudas corralled the puck on the left side, pedaling backwards, at the dzone blue line. Being pressured. He looks strong side but didn't chose to pass it that direction nor ice it (I'm sure that winger was tightly marked just off a NZ faceoff). He looked towards his partner. His partner didn't move. He didn't drift backwards towards the bottom of the right circle to give him an angle to relieve the pressure on him. He was watching the play develop but didn't react(isn't capable of reacting?). Gudas, now getting poke checked, sends it weak side. Gets broken up by the forechecker, and a dzone penalty ensues following a scoring chance. Gudas is crucified for a terrible turnover. But what really happened there? His partner was Hagg. Shocking, I know.

CASE IN POINT #2: Hagg again! Shocking, I know. Hanging out near his crease out of position, covering no one, unavailable for the D to D pass like always. Folin goes D to no one, turnover, goal

Couts: rough first period. 3 or 4 NZ turnovers

Konecny: speed is always noticeable. Blew by a dman on the left side but fired a backhander high and wide

Patrick: good to see him with the puck on his stick around the net and in the dirty areas. Last year when he started putting it all together was when he really stuck his nose in the play instead of sticking around the perimeter. A sign of good things to come I hope.

JVR: quietly heating up.

Sanheim: Struggled today. He was indeed much more effective on the left side, but I like him on the top pair. Today was his first bad game in a quite a number of weeks, a huge accomplishment for a 22 year old seeing top minutes. Loved seeing him up in the thick of the offense in the last 5 mins

Hart: another good game from the kid. Man, would have loved to see him stone Heesher but you can't have em all.

Simmonds: on the 6-4 pp had an easy pass to JVR for the tap in. f***ed it up. Cooked.

Giroux: that missed shot on the 6-4 PP. Killing me. Laughton missed a wide open net too. Shame. G, still, is just a set it and forget it guy out there. Few great looks over to TK, love those 2 together.

They're going to get a good talent towards the top of the draft. They have talent coming up. Frost will infuse this team with more speed and skill next season, upgrading the middle 6. Simmonds will be gone. Jake is slumping and will bounce back. NAK will be up. Misha will be up. Hart will be in net. There will be a new coach. This team is underachieving for a myriad of reasons this year but they will bounce back and the near future is still looking bright. Enough rambling.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Devils fan coming in peace. Hart looks like he will no doubt be a gem for you guys.

I saw some people in here saying the Devils were playing tight. That doesn't happen often lol. That last goal you guys scored with 2 seconds left is more of an example of how pathetic their defense is and how bad their coaching can be.

Seriously, who the **** calls for a line change with less than 10 seconds left in the game?

You can be #2 this time.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Should have kept playing guitar. Watching this team sadly is a lot like opening the ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark. You’re excited for a moment but then your eyes burn to a crisp and your face melts off.

mQSpqWM.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They haven't scored more than 2 goals in half of their games this season.
They fired their "moron" coach who was "holding the team back."
Now they're even worse even though they have better goaltending.

Yet some are still clinging onto the notion that the biggest problems remain "coaching" and "system," and that it's "not the players' fault."

Well, I guess it's true that it's not the players' fault in that they didn't put themselves together on a roster.

They have players who were supposed to play major roles who are extraordinarily overrated.
They are very slow relative to the rest of the league.
They have a lot of players who play very selfishly and individually and force constant low-percentage plays, and that's gotten even worse (and it was already bad) since Hakstol left.

They do need a coaching overhaul, don't get me wrong. And it's going to take time for new coaches to break down all of these bad habits and rebuild it.

BUT, the roster composition is a bigger issue. Bad, bad mix and a lot of overrated young players.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If it’s 95% coaching, maybe this is the best coached 20 players in history that refuse to deviate from the system. If you believe that, then yes, New coaches less Simmer and Folin will solve everything

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lots of really short memories in here.

I guess not even a full year ago is too far into the past to expect people to remember.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

Yet some are still clinging onto the notion that the biggest problems remain "coaching" and "system," and that it's "not the players' fault."

Well, I guess it's true that it's not the players' fault in that they didn't put themselves together on a roster.

They have players who were supposed to play major roles who are extraordinarily overrated.
They have a lot of players who play very selfishly and individually and force constant low-percentage plays, and that's gotten even worse (and it was already bad) since Hakstol left.

They do need a coaching overhaul, don't get me wrong. And it's going to take time for new coaches to break down all of these bad habits and rebuild it.

BUT, the roster composition is a bigger issue. Bad, bad mix and a lot of overrated young players.

We have seen what these players and this team can do. Their flaws and slumps have always been mental. The problem is Hextall created a culture of negativity where confidence was frowned upon. Its gonna take time to move past that...but yes a new coach and removing the rotten eggs will help.

Reactions: Stizzle

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I saw some people in here saying the Devils were playing tight. That doesn't happen often lol. That last goal you guys scored with 2 seconds left is more of an example of how pathetic their team defense is and how bad their coaching can be.

Seriously, who the **** calls for a line change with less than 10 seconds left in the game?

Can we go first this time?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

No one is saying that. But Hextall chose to keep his safe players and coach. There was damage done to this team by Hextall and Hakstol. Just can’t turn on the switch from the damage done.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Nolan Patrick playing on a line with Laughton & Simmonds makes me want to vomit. This organization is doing nothing to help this kid. Just letting him die.

Pleeeeeease. Nolan Patrick was given every opportunity to be the #2C and has fewer points than Robert Hagg. Maybe Patrick should do something with his opportunities. 35% of his shifts at ES this season have been with Lindblom and Voracek, so enough with the excuses and crying that it's the team that's letting Patrick down. It's Patrick who has let the team down, and if he doesn't want to play with Laughton and Simmonds then he should have done more with better linemates.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
No one is saying that. But Hextall chose to keep his safe players and coach. There was damage done to this team by Hextall and Hakstol. Just can’t turn on the switch from the damage done.

Bingo. You also won’t be able to turn that switch after training camp.

So as I have said, if we have any hope to not suck again next year, turnover needs to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad