GDT: #44| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | January 13th | 7:00 PM | F/W 5-1

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I can’t believe we’re doing all of this winning without the stellar play and leadership of Andrew Ladd.

We joke about him but before his injury he was looking pretty good. He'll likely never up to what we thought we were getting (and for all we know he may never play another game here) but if we had a healthy Ladd on that 3rd line, that would be a gritty, veteran line who are defensively responsible and could put the puck in the net.

Reactions: BTrotts19

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We joke about him but before his injury he was looking pretty good. He'll likely never up to what we thought we were getting (and for all we know he may never play another game here) but if we had a healthy Ladd on that 3rd line, that would be a gritty, veteran line who are defensively responsible and could put the puck in the net.

It would be incredibly slow, maybe the slowest line in hockey. That includes beer leagues.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

That would be a disaster. MDC adds size and skill to the 3rd line. Ladd is washed up. He's not a play maker and he's a glass house.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I LOVE how trotz played MDC on a normal shift in the 3rd period last night. Really shows he has trust in his game.

He's definitely not bad with the defensive stuff. He takes care of his responsibilities and knows where to go, without trying to do anything risky. Coaches love players who can play a simple game late. He could carve out a third line job in the NHL if his offense never comes.

Reactions: dood

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
He's definitely not bad with the defensive stuff. He takes care of his responsibilities and knows where to go, without trying to do anything risky. Coaches love players who can play a simple game late. He could carve out a third line job in the NHL if his offense never comes.

MDC is the truth on the offensive side. He was on pace for 40 plus goals in the A this year. In the A he was getting 1st line minutes, 1s unit PP, OT 3-3. And he dominated. Right now he's playing a 3rd line checkers roll. And it's amazing for his development as an overall player. Once he's get's going a bit offensively he'll bump up to the PP / 2nd line and the fans will be love MDC.

Reactions: PROMputt

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
he went from being coached by Bedrockers to a Stanley Cup Champion, I see a solid cog on a contending team with this player, and this is a guy that I condemned in the past, because he was not coached or motivated
Wholeheartedly agree that the coaching has made a huge difference. What I am seeing is a team whose members know what the coach expects from them at each end of the ice and know further that a failure to produce will mean a seat in the press box or less TOI. I think that Brock is getting more responsibility and that trust has made a difference.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Watch toews goal last game. MDC owned that corner with quick skates and hustle. Ladd doesn't have that. He's washed up.
I saw and remember that play distinctly. It was a very nice play by MDC. Not taking anything away from him. But Ladd (again - if healthy, which he's not), would contribute more on that line at this point in time. But whatever - I'm hardly the leader of the Andrew Ladd Fan Club and would happily shed his contract if I could click my heels and make it go away. But if he didn't break his ankle - or whatever injury he has - he could have been productive this year. And he was. His back issues seemed to be in check.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
MDC is the truth on the offensive side. He was on pace for 40 plus goals in the A this year. In the A he was getting 1st line minutes, 1s unit PP, OT 3-3. And he dominated. Right now he's playing a 3rd line checkers roll. And it's amazing for his development as an overall player. Once he's get's going a bit offensively he'll bump up to the PP / 2nd line and the fans will be love MDC.

Seriously, are you related to him?

I am rooting big for MDC and I loved him when we drafted him… let's settle down just a tad. He doesn't look out of place in the NHL which is a great sign. Traditionally he seems like the type that needs some time to adjust to a higher level, hopefully that trend continues at this level in time.

I don't see this year being his breakout season, I see it next year as long as he continues to play the right way and make smart decisions on the ice. I can always forgive execution mistakes from youngsters, the mental mistakes are the red flags. So far, his game fits the pro style and I like what I see.

His skating doesn't look bad, but that's something that he's going have to continually work on. I do love his length with the lanky frame and the long stick. If he had that little extra burst in his skating, he could be very disruptive on the forecheck. I like that he's the F1 on his line, he always keeps moving and pressuring the puck.

I would like to see him get a little PP time to see what he can do with the extra time and space. In the midst of a playoff run, his development is secondary. For now, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing. I saw him out there late in the 3rd taking his usual shift with Flip and Leo while Barzal and Beau were stapled to the bench to preserve the W. That tells me that Trotz likes what he sees and trusts him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Do you think a healthy Ladd is slower than MDC? Ross Johnston?

Yeah, he's slower than both, especially laterally.

Pace and the AHL should temper your expectations. There have been plenty of guys who light up the AHL and can't do much in the NHL. Keith Aucion had a 106 point season in the AHL once (in 72 games), how has his NHL career gone?

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, he's slower than both, especially laterally.

Pace and the AHL should temper your expectations. There have been plenty of guys who light up the AHL and can't do much in the NHL. Keith Aucion had a 106 point season in the AHL once (in 72 games), how has his NHL career gone?

You're comparing a 5'8 170lb undrafted journeyman to a highly touted #5 overall 6'3 205lb 22 year old. Big difference there.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You're comparing a 5'8 170lb undrafted journeyman to a highly touted #5 overall 6'3 205lb 22 year old. Big difference there.

If a 5'8" 170lb un-drafted journeyman can put up 170lbs in that league, I'd expect a highly touted #5 overall 6'3" 205lb 22 year old to put up more. Especially if the difference is really that big.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
i remember Arbour struggling with the team "turning it on whenever they wanted to turn it on"
that team could, but my point is- is that's where I think this team is and why Trotz is so outstanding.Team has success and it is inevitable they'll read clippings , get big heads. I think when this team plays his system and skates their asses off we are pretty tough. Warts for sure but what a difference a world class coach makes. I think IF we make the...um.....you know....we'll be pretty tough. a Hot Lehner and we could be this years Vegas.

I think more like Nashville from two seasons ago. Sneaking into the last seed and making a run

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Seriously, are you related to him?

I am rooting big for MDC and I loved him when we drafted him… let's settle down just a tad. He doesn't look out of place in the NHL which is a great sign. Traditionally he seems like the type that needs some time to adjust to a higher level, hopefully that trend continues at this level in time.

I don't see this year being his breakout season, I see it next year as long as he continues to play the right way and make smart decisions on the ice. I can always forgive execution mistakes from youngsters, the mental mistakes are the red flags. So far, his game fits the pro style and I like what I see.

His skating doesn't look bad, but that's something that he's going have to continually work on. I do love his length with the lanky frame and the long stick. If he had that little extra burst in his skating, he could be very disruptive on the forecheck. I like that he's the F1 on his line, he always keeps moving and pressuring the puck.

I would like to see him get a little PP time to see what he can do with the extra time and space. In the midst of a playoff run, his development is secondary. For now, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing. I saw him out there late in the 3rd taking his usual shift with Flip and Leo while Barzal and Beau were stapled to the bench to preserve the W. That tells me that Trotz likes what he sees and trusts him.

Hopefully MDC continues to get stronger. I think a few extra pounds of muscle will help his skating especially that burst. Not to mention he will also be harder to knock off the puck. I am hopeful he develops into a sold middle 6.

Reactions: PWJunior

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I would rather have KO back than watch Ladd's vacation on ice for one more game.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Strong game, hats off to y’all! On paper this was the best lineup the Lightning can ice right now. Very impressive first period, this game should keep our team honest and pulled them back down to earth a bit. Also, Trotz is a god. Good luck going forward, you’ve got something good going!
And we were missing Josh Ho Sang!!! ;)

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad