GDT: #44| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | January 13th | 7:00 PM | F/W 5-1

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Here's my other problem with this team. How is the fourth line so good without the best fourth line center in the NHL Marty Reasoner?
At least we have him developing all of our prized prospects. I can’t think of anyone more qualified to teach hahd work and discipline than Marty Reasoner.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
At least we have him developing all of our prized prospects. I can’t think of anyone more qualified to teach hahd work and discipline like Marty Reasoner.

I don't know about you, but I would give a long term contract to a player coming off of a major injury because of his locker room presence. Who gives a f*** about goals?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not committing more than $5M AAV to him-the coaching differential doesn't explain to me him drifting thru large segments of seasons, that's a pride thing. I just don't believe he's a top 6 player so I only wanna pay him what average 3rd liners make.
Like I said in the previous post, I don't know if the BN we're seeing this year, or the one we have seen for years, is the real BN, but I do know this, the entire Islander organization was drifting through large segments of not just seasons, but decades, and that has to have an effect on players. You don't know what building you're playing in, there's lousy fan support, lousy coaching, a sense of hopelessness creeps in no matter how self-motivated a player is. I think it affected PB for big parts of seasons. Now, I don't know if that was in play with BN, but it might have been, and so again, I'm going to trust the brain trust to figure out what to do about Brock and I'll respect their decision.

Until it goes bad (one way or the other) :confused:.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Barzal isn't even on his first real contract yet. He's not going anywhere. Beyond that, I'm hoping that he understands and appreciates the long view more than you do.

And just how good do you think this team is?
The isles just missed the playoffs two years in a row and lost a hall of fame type player because they rarely won, never took winning seriously, and valued the future, and male bonding more then winning. barzel knows this is even if he wasn't here for all of it. People think it's a lock he even does a second contract. People also think, once the isles collect all the draft picks they can start winning when they want to. They cant win automatically just cause they want to four years from now. If I'm barzel, and the isles give up this season I ask for a trade in the off-season and tell the isles to reaquire me when they are ready to play to win. jT put up with the nonsense half his career because he was quiet, humble, and had the Olympics to expierence a winning team. barzel may be more like Lebron and all modern day athletes, and bail.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Great game by Martin and the whole 4th line. Somewhere out there Broadway is clutching his stats sheets screaming, "This just can't be!"

Reactions: Barzaltrick

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Just to elaborate.

Beautiful f***ing game.

To all those who want to sell, :(.

We are locked into a playoff spot, have beaten the two best teams in the East.

Are we going to win the Cup in 2019, absolutely not. But making the playoffs will go a long way in our 2019-20 Cup run. And on that Cup run I can almost guarantee that Casey Cizikas will be an unheralded hero. :)

Love Devon Toews, becoming our best all around D man. It’s like we acquired a 2nd pairing D without giving up assets.

Let’s appreciate this team’s playoff push, when most at this point thought we’d be pushovers.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
The isles just missed the playoffs two years in a row and lost a hall of fame type player because they rarely won, never took winning seriously, and valued the future, and male bonding more then winning. barzel knows this is even if he wasn't here for all of it. People think it's a lock he even does a second contract. People also think, once the isles collect all the draft picks they can start winning when they want to. They cant win automatically just cause they want to four years from now. If I'm barzel, and the isles give up this season I ask for a trade in the off-season and tell the isles to reaquire me when they are ready to play to win. jT put up with the nonsense half his career because he was quiet, humble, and had the Olympics to expierence a winning team. barzel may be more like Lebron and all modern day athletes, and bail.
Captain bringdown....

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Have no fear, Thomas Greiss is here. What a solid performance from the whole team. I gotta tell you, what a difference does a great coach make? Trotz makes the players believe and yes, I am a believer too.

Nothing better than a good goalie :D

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Nice win, everybody looked solid.
Someone is going to have to explain to me why they only got 1 PP?

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com

Sorry, Barzal loves being here. This is HIS team now. If you think anything that happened prior to his first season and during his first season clouds his opinion you’re sorely mistaken.

Secondly, he’ll be an RFA next year and guess what - NHL history dictates it’ll be a bridge deal that’ll allow the team to spend to build around him in his prime.

The fact everyone here can’t get away from a negative mindset is really, really sad.

Enjoy this people. Go buy a Barzal jersey.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Barzal knows that the Islanders of today bear no resemblance to the Islanders of the past 30 years, both organizationally and in style of play and none of the pros running this organization now believe that all we have to do is stockpile draft picks to be successful.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
Forgive me if I don't listen to the "Tanking" brain trust on our roster deadline moves. Lou's gonna buy, he's gonna be smart about it, but he's gonna buy.

Toews looks the part. Hickey and Mayfield are locked up at a reasonable AAV, Pulock's sliding into 1D territory, Aho and Dobson knocking at the door. Leddy and Boychuk looking more like themselves lately. Seems to me we have a surplus of defensive talent, we can probably afford to deal some picks to fix the forward situation and get ourselves a bonafide 2C.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think this team will be a tough matchup and far from a pushover in the playoffs
The things that makes me most optimistic about us being a good playoff team are:

1. Trotz seems to be able to prevent the team from going into extended swoons. We lose a game or two and he turns things around;

2. Our great record in the 2nd of back-to-back games.

Those two things tell me that Trotz has the team in a place where they would be a tough nut to crack in a 7 game series. I guarantee you that no one will be happy to draw the Isles in a playoff series.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Great win. This is my favorite Isles team I can remember (I started watching in about 1999-2000 at the age of 6.) I know this team might be a few years away, but every win feels better than ever knowing that we have a big league GM and coach.

The past several years, the recent 4 gae stretch against STL-NYR (the 2nd) would have been 0-4 and probably not stopped there. It is a different mentality that allows us to get throug a rough stretch at 2-2 and then come up huge against the ebst team in the league.

Stop trolling Canadian Twitter pundits. Let's enjoy this. Yeah, we may not be winning the cup, we may not even make the playoffs, but every game we win the fools up north feel a little more foolish. This team has proven they're not gonna lose 3/4 in a row, they know how to bounce back and win against top teams. That is a recipe for more hockey come April when you're in this position in January. Let's keep it rolling. Isles will not lay an egg like they did last time against St Louis on Tuesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad