GDT: #44| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | January 13th | 7:00 PM | F/W 5-1

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I thought tonight would be a real strong chance for the isles. You know they love the spotlight games and Trotz wants to prove himself against this coach who is winning at redicoules pace. This team if healthy can beat teams in the playoffs. They cannot afford to trade the free agents even if they can't sign them. Suck it up, maybe 2 1sts and a second. So be it.
Do not agree with this take one bit. Even BT knows and has said so very clearly, despite tonight's result, that we are not a Stanley Cup contender. If we were to play TB in a 7 game series we win one game, maybe two. Nothing we do this year should sacrifice future development. This amazing year is all gravy to me.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Yeah Nelson is a keeper, this is a strong 3 zone player with a lot of upside, shot at 30 goals and 60 points this year but more likely 25-28-53, with penalty killing, big turnaround,
Don’t trust him on a contract year. Years of lackadaisical play now all of sudden he’s playing more consistently on a contract year. Ye sorry not buying it.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah Nelson is a keeper, this is a strong 3 zone player with a lot of upside, shot at 30 goals and 60 points this year but more likely 25-28-53, with penalty killing, big turnaround,
I don't know Brock Nelson the person. None of us really do. I know that he can be a very productive and solid NHL player so I am relying on the pros that BT and LL are to determine if the BN that we are seeing this year is the BN we could count on in years to come or if this is a contract year one-off.

Reactions: MIK55 and danteipp

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Don’t trust him on a contract year. Years of lackadaisical play now all of sudden he’s playing more consistently on a contract year. Ye sorry not buying it.

he went from being coached by Bedrockers to a Stanley Cup Champion, I see a solid cog on a contending team with this player, and this is a guy that I condemned in the past, because he was not coached or motivated

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Do not agree with this take one bit. Even BT knows and has said so very clearly, despite tonight's result, that we are not a Stanley Cup contender. If we were to play TB in a 7 game series we win one game, maybe two. Nothing we do this year should sacrifice future development. This amazing year is all gravy to me.
The team may never be this good again for half a decade or more. If you dump players when the team is this good, barzal would be a fool to stay.

Reactions: beach

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Agreed.

Isles are not getting past this TB team in a playoff series.
Since I did not expect the playoffs, they getting in would be gravy this early in Lou /Trotz's era.

Reactions: dood

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The team may never be this good again for half a decade or more. If you dump players when the team is this good, barzal would be a fool to stay.
Barzal isn't even on his first real contract yet. He's not going anywhere. Beyond that, I'm hoping that he understands and appreciates the long view more than you do.

And just how good do you think this team is?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
he went from being coached by Bedrockers to a Stanley Cup Champion, I see a solid cog on a contending team with this player, and this is a guy that I condemned in the past, because he was not coached or motivated

I'm not committing more than $5M AAV to him-the coaching differential doesn't explain to me him drifting thru large segments of seasons, that's a pride thing. I just don't believe he's a top 6 player so I only wanna pay him what average 3rd liners make.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Im glad he’s playing well as it boosts his trade value. No way am I trusting Nelson with a long term contract. Yes he played for some bad coaches that does not excuse his complete and utter lackadaisical play for most of his career. If he played with the same heart and determination as Lee did for all these years he Nelson would have scored thirty goals more then once in my opinion as the talent was always there just not the heart.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Im glad he’s playing well as it boosts his trade value. No way am I trusting Nelson with a long term contract. Yes he played for some bad coaches that does not excuse his complete and utter lackadaisical play for most of his career. If he played with the same heart and determination as Lee did for all these years he Nelson would have scored thirty goals more then once in my opinion as the talent was always there just not the heart.

Some players need to be coached, some players are lost out there, Nelson is one of them, there are a lot of guys that find themself with a great coach, Nelson at 5 years 5 million is a good deal

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
How did this happen?
Trotz?

We are used to the November swoon, the 6 game losing streak,the losing 8 of 10, as a fan base we have to figure out that you can win when you don’t play your best, and losing does not have to beget more losing.

When you have legitimate coaching.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Don’t be fooled by one game. This team is not a Stanley cup contender. I would definitely trade Nelson as he’s fools gold as with Eberle not a Trotz player.

Agree with the style of player.
On the flip side, I think this team will be a tough matchup and far from a pushover in the playoffs

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Have no fear, Thomas Greiss is here. What a solid performance from the whole team. I gotta tell you, what a difference does a great coach make? Trotz makes the players believe and yes, I am a believer too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad