Post-Game Talk: #44 | Flyers at Blues | January 15, 2024 | Flyers win 4-2

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I've never seen a segment of a fanbase so bitter about a team with a .614 points percentage that's blowing away all expectations.

Just a personal thing. I got excited to watch Gagne as my first memories. Richards. Carter. Briere. Pronger. Giroux.

Team success has a part to play, but after seeing so many teams in the league introduce young, and exciting players the Flyers approach doesn’t do it for me.

I’m sure I’ll watch if they make the playoffs, but I so strongly detested the Islanders style of building a team.

Find the high end talent, and I’m in. If not it’s just more of the same crap imo, with an ending that is far too predicable when they faced a more talented team that also “works hard”.

They doubled down on the old school Flyer brand this summer, and while I love physical hockey - the obsession with the “Flyer family” running this team I’m very much over. If it wasn’t for this forum, my interest would be even less.

I’ve said it before, but good luck finding a fanbase in 15 years, but I’m sure promotions are lined up for LeClair, Sharp, Couturier, and Laughton if they wanted them.

Reactions: BernieParent

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yeah, he might develop more offensive upside as he gets older, we'll see. Even if he doesn't he's a valuable player as a second pairing guy.

If our picks turned out to be in the neighbourhood of Makar, Rantanen, MacKinnon, and Landeskog instead of Patrick, Gauthier, Provorov, and Morin, things would be very different. Michkov has the potential to be elite, so there's that.

But, man, what atrocious drafting luck or choices or both.
I'd not sleep on d-men. Josh Morrissey is a York type too but didn't really bust out offensively ( ppg) until his 27 y/o season. Until then, he was a middling 30-40 point dman.

I watched a fair amount of this last night and finished it this AM. Zamula was pretty darn good, as was the entire Frost line. It's fun watching Tippett when he's fully confident. Uses his size and speed so well. He made a couple of low-IQ plays, but those were minimized by Frost and TK...TK is TK, not much more to say other than that.

Frost was on fire last night. He was the best I had ever seen him, not just offensively. He was engaged all night, and challenged the D anytime he had the puck. At one point, he found TK in the middle of the ice, and of course TK flubbed he pass. Mark that down as another HD scoring chance for TK that was originated from Frost. I'd love for them to keep the Tippett-Frost-TK line together for the foreseeable future. It's a pretty good compliment of skill sets imo.

-------
This roster, both forwards and defense, is much better than it's been over the last two seasons. It's been fun to see the growth of certain players, Tippett, Frost, Farabee, TK etc. The defense has been much better than I originally thought it might be. Seeler is continuing good play, Walker came out of no where, Zamula always had potential, but over the last 2-3 weeks has started to step forwards. It's nice to see. I am not holding any hopes that this team is 'dangerous' but I'm just enjoying the ride. It would be stupid not to trade Walker and/or Seeler, but whatever. I don't expect them to make the hard decisions, so if they do, it will be a plesant surprise.
Yeah, I don't know what it is with Frost/TK but TK just does not finish great plays from Frost this year. Really strange. There's been several (I'd say at least 5 that were more or less gimmes).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I don't know what it is with Frost/TK but TK just does not finish great plays from Frost this year. Really strange. There's been several (I'd say at least 5 that were more or less gimmes).
Probably just SSS. Shooters score somewhat randomly, which is why advanced metrics matter, while finishing is a skill, even good scorers have hot and cold streaks - so if you keep setting up HD chances, eventually the goals will come.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
At least to my eyes, TK has always generated more off the rush than when shop has already been set up. Hence his short handed production and hence why Torts’ rush game seems well suited to him and why Frost with TK is not prime.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Just a personal thing. I got excited to watch Gagne as my first memories. Richards. Carter. Briere. Pronger. Giroux.

Team success has a part to play, but after seeing so many teams in the league introduce young, and exciting players the Flyers approach doesn’t do it for me.

I’m sure I’ll watch if they make the playoffs, but I so strongly detested the Islanders style of building a team.

Find the high end talent, and I’m in. If not it’s just more of the same crap imo, with an ending that is far too predicable when they faced a more talented team that also “works hard”.

They doubled down on the old school Flyer brand this summer, and while I love physical hockey - the obsession with the “Flyer family” running this team I’m very much over. If it wasn’t for this forum, my interest would be even less.

I’ve said it before, but good luck finding a fanbase in 15 years, but I’m sure promotions are lined up for LeClair, Sharp, Couturier, and Laughton if they wanted them.
You want to root for a superstar.

OK. To me, that doesn’t mean you should shit all over one of the youngest teams in the league with a .614 points % that is blowing away all expectations & is a top 10 team in creating scoring chances off the rush despite not having any superstars.

It’s a board of people committed to hating the organization, hating Torts, & very bitter that they are proving them not just wrong, but incredibly wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad