Post-Game Talk: #44 | Flyers at Blues | January 15, 2024 | Flyers win 4-2

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Flyers are one of the 2 or 3 most likely teams to go to the finals right now from the Eastern conference, and they should think they are.

1705378121648.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They did... but still I'd say next 10 games are very important. Florida Tampa Boston Colorado Jets.. etc etc
The only evidence is that they don’t win many games in regulation, but now they are. Yeah, these are going to be harder teams coming up, but they’re beating teams they also probably shouldn’t.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I have pretty much accepted that this is simply an upside-down, gonzo season -- Your first-place Vancouver Canucks!! -- and try to enjoy wins.
I wish I could convince myself to buy in on this season. But I just feel so apathetic when I tune into a game.

All I can think about is how they are going to end up not selling off assets or even buying at the deadline and seeing the path of the Michkov era being a repeat of the G era.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Briere and Torts have any illusions, Torts saw in CBJ what happens when a GM confuses playing to your ability with having more talent than there is on hand and going into win now mode. They're maximizing what they have, but they still don't have the depth for a long PO run.

Torts lite a fire under Frost, since his talk, he's taken his game to another level, it has also helped to be reunited with Tippett. With Couts back, you can field two solid lines, but the bottom six still need work, Brink is a year away from being a NHL asset. The defense is in flux.

I expect them to be sellers, just to clear some TOI for younger players. I don't see a collapse, but I'd be surprised if they get past a first round series in the playoffs this season. But they're fun to watch, winning on the road is hard, and they just won 3, including the hottest team in the NHL.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
They just shut out the best team in the league in their building without Couturier. They’re playing into May.
This is the exact reason we need to be selling at the deadline.

Imagine this team with another 3 or 4 first round talents. That's how you build winners. We have the opportunity to make the playoffs AND sell. I'm looking for 2 first rounders at the deadline, which gives us 5 over the next two years.

That's vital not only to building a winning franchise, but a contender. I think Walker gets a first, Seeler probably commands a second at this point, Laughton will get a low first because of his PK ability.

Cates replaces Laughton
Drysdale replaces Walker
Staal/Belpedio/Attard/Mete replaces Seeler.

Do we take a hit? Absolutely. Is it worth taking a hit? Absolutely.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I wish I could convince myself to buy in on this season. But I just feel so apathetic when I tune into a game.

All I can think about is how they are going to end up not selling off assets or even buying at the deadline and seeing the path of the Michkov era being a repeat of the G era.
because you know its gunna happen.

they were never rebuilding

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

Imagine this team with another 3 or 4 first round talents. That's how you build winners. We have the opportunity to make the playoffs AND sell. I'm looking for 2 first rounders at the deadline, which gives us 5 over the next two years.

That's vital not only to building a winning franchise, but a contender. I think Walker gets a first, Seeler probably commands a second at this point, Laughton will get a low first because of his PK ability.

Cates replaces Laughton
Drysdale replaces Walker

Throw in Hart for a 1st and a blue chipper, Ersson can handle the load.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I watched a fair amount of this last night and finished it this AM. Zamula was pretty darn good, as was the entire Frost line. It's fun watching Tippett when he's fully confident. Uses his size and speed so well. He made a couple of low-IQ plays, but those were minimized by Frost and TK...TK is TK, not much more to say other than that.

Frost was on fire last night. He was the best I had ever seen him, not just offensively. He was engaged all night, and challenged the D anytime he had the puck. At one point, he found TK in the middle of the ice, and of course TK flubbed he pass. Mark that down as another HD scoring chance for TK that was originated from Frost. I'd love for them to keep the Tippett-Frost-TK line together for the foreseeable future. It's a pretty good compliment of skill sets imo.

-------
This roster, both forwards and defense, is much better than it's been over the last two seasons. It's been fun to see the growth of certain players, Tippett, Frost, Farabee, TK etc. The defense has been much better than I originally thought it might be. Seeler is continuing good play, Walker came out of no where, Zamula always had potential, but over the last 2-3 weeks has started to step forwards. It's nice to see. I am not holding any hopes that this team is 'dangerous' but I'm just enjoying the ride. It would be stupid not to trade Walker and/or Seeler, but whatever. I don't expect them to make the hard decisions, so if they do, it will be a plesant surprise.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I don't think Briere and Torts have any illusions, Torts saw in CBJ what happens when a GM confuses playing to your ability with having more talent than there is on hand and going into win now mode. They're maximizing what they have, but they still don't have the depth for a long PO run.

Torts lite a fire under Frost, since his talk, he's taken his game to another level, it has also helped to be reunited with Tippett. With Couts back, you can field two solid lines, but the bottom six still need work, Brink is a year away from being a NHL asset. The defense is in flux.

I expect them to be sellers, just to clear some TOI for younger players. I don't see a collapse, but I'd be surprised if they get past a first round series in the playoffs this season. But they're fun to watch, winning on the road is hard, and they just won 3, including the hottest team in the NHL.
Even though it's not even 8am, I already know this will be the funniest thing I hear all day.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I hear you and agree that there will be an enormous missed opportunity to take multiple swings at top-end talent. How much Briere and company fool themselves into thinking this team is sustainably good remains to be seen. This will happen despite my mood about them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Cates replaces Laughton
Drysdale replaces Walker

I think you're overly optimistic. Teams have gotten stingier with 1sts lately, probably b/c they have a better understanding of the cap (you need a group of players on ELC and RFA contracts to afford to pay a few stars).

Walker & Laughton might garner 2nds plus
Seeler and Poehling a 3rd or so
Hathaway???
Staal a 6th

Cates will be playing center over Laughton
Lycksell or Brink would move into the LW slot
Laczynski could replace Poehling at 4C
Allison could replace Hathaway
Andrae can move into Seeler's spot, Sanheim moves back to RHD to replace Walker

Doesn't mean all these deal WILL be made, depends on buyers and what they offer, and how good the young players look in LHV in a month. Briere isn't going to dump useful players for poor returns when the team has a shot at the playoffs.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I don’t think Hart would get the return we’d hope for. Maybe 2nd and a b prospect at best. I’d rather hold him until last possible moment if that’s the case and enjoy what we have now in a good 1A/1b situation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's funny they gave Frost an assist on the Tippett goal when he's had at least three other assists taken away this season that had a lot more to do with the goal being scored.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad