Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Nope , you wrong , i have a good friend who's kid is playing college hockey and that is the insurance policy he had . That's why i said last year .

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
...also, you'd think it would cost more to insure someone like Nelson Nogier than Samberg, given his injury history. But I'm not an actuary...
You are not covered for injuries to areas you have had previous injuries and the policies have things like time line built in . Like long term etc ...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Nope , you wrong , i have a good friend who's kid is playing college hockey and that is the insurance policy he had . That's why i said last year .
Interesting. So $1200/year for $400,000 - and the player would receive the lump sum if he was injured to the extent that he could no longer play hockey? This wouldn't cover an injury that just reduced his effectiveness to the point where he was never offered a contract...like a Jack Glover situation.
You are not covered for injuries to areas you have had previous injuries and the policies have things like time line built in . Like long term etc ...
Oh, I'm sure the insurance company knows what they're doing with the limitations and caveats...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Garret said teams couldn't insure de Haan's shoulder when he was last up for a new deal...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd encourage everyone to read the Tucker Poolman thread. We thought he was gone and Chevy got it done.
Poolman would've been eligible to sign anywhere had he waited a couple of months. It wasn't unreasonable to suggest that he might wait it out and pick his landing spot. As it was, he signed a 1 year ELC with a max signing bonus and $850K of performance bonuses - equivalent to Kyle Connor's deal. His current deal is 3 years and one-way, so he's doing pretty well for himself.

Anyway, I won't worry until/unless Samberg decides to play his senior year at UMD. See you next spring! ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Disappointed that Samberg won't take a run at a roster spot, but he's in a good situation for continued development and should be NHL ready for 2020.

Reactions: WPGChief

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Disappointed that Samberg won't take a run at a roster spot, but he's in a good situation for continued development and should be NHL ready for 2020.

Sounds to me that he doesn't want to go to the AHL. He still needs to flesh out his offensive game so this isn't the worst situation for him. I agree he should be ready by 2020.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

After back to back Championships I have to think maybe he feels they can go for a 3-peat. If they win again it wouldn't surprise me if he stays another season. Only 1 team in NCAA hockey history has 3-peated. The 1951, 52 and 53 University of Michigan Wolverines. No team has ever 4-peated.

I think that plays a heavy role in his decision to stay. By next year he'll be in an even better position to take a pro-spot right out of camp rather then go to the AHL for half a year or full year. Hopefully they don't win another title but get close.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This isn't a bad thing. Not only does he get to go back for another chance at National Championship, he also gets to complete his junior year, have a potentially elevated role in the lineup, and also stagger has ELC with Johnny Kovacevic's. I'm not going to worry about a situation that nine times out of 10 doesn't happen. He's not Adam Fox in hype or skill. He hasn't belied any intention on pursuing free agency.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sounds to me that he doesn't want to go to the AHL. He still needs to flesh out his offensive game so this isn't the worst situation for him. I agree he should be ready by 2020.

After back to back Championships I have to think maybe he feels they can go for a 3-peat. If they win again it wouldn't surprise me if he stays another season. Only 1 team in NCAA hockey history has 3-peated. The 1951, 52 and 53 University of Michigan Wolverines. No team has ever 4-peated.

I think that plays a heavy role in his decision to stay. By next year he'll be in an even better position to take a pro-spot right out of camp rather then go to the AHL for half a year or full year. Hopefully they don't win another title but get close.
Likely a combination of wanting to avoid spending a season in the AHL and a chance to be on a 3rd National Championship team. I've been worried all along Samberg would return to UMD, not that it is a bad developmental move but rather it brings a little more uncertainty into the equation. This time next year a decision to go back to school puts some real risk that Chevy can sign him before he becomes a UFA. Anyways hoping the kid has a monster season, but one that ends in time to sign with the Jets and get a few late season games in. Using up a ELC season will just have to be part of the cost of signing him next spring.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Likely a combination of wanting to avoid spending a season in the AHL and a chance to be on a 3rd National Championship team. I've been worried all along Samberg would return to UMD, not that it is a bad developmental move but rather it brings a little more uncertainty into the equation. This time next year a decision to go back to school puts some real risk that Chevy can sign him before he becomes a UFA. Anyways hoping the kid has a monster season, but one that ends in time to sign with the Jets and get a few late season games in. Using up a ELC season will just have to be part of the cost of signing him next spring.

I think Chevy will attempt to sign him before July 1st next year if he doesn't win another Boat. Burn a year off his ELC as if he signed this year anyways and make it a little bit more of an incentive for him to sign.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Chevy will attempt to sign him before July 1st next year if he doesn't win another Boat. Burn a year off his ELC as if he signed this year anyways and make it a little bit more of an incentive for him to sign.
Agreed. I'm guessing the idea was already floated.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Reading the quotes in the Jason Bell article, it sounds far from definitive. For his part, Samberg says "My plan" is to return to school. But from Chevy's quotes, they haven't even talked yet, just exchanged texts trying to set up a meeting or call.

/optimism

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Hello, Rangers fan here and I was just wondering if someone could help me out with Samberg. He’s a very intriguing prospect, and one of my favorites. But the question is, do you still think he has realistic top pairing upside? I haven’t watched any of his games this year and I don’t know too much about him, but I would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hello, Rangers fan here and I was just wondering if someone could help me out with Samberg. He’s a very intriguing prospect, and one of my favorites. But the question is, do you still think he has realistic top pairing upside? I haven’t watched any of his games this year and I don’t know too much about him, but I would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you.
Realistically top 4. Definitely not # 1 highly doubtful # 2.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad