Post-Game Talk: #43: FLYERS 3 at Capitals 5, Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I went looking for a gif to accurately describe how I felt about the game, saw this, laughed at the gorilla face, ogled Linda Carter and decided to post it and call it a night.

If the team can quit, so can I!

annAUWf.gif
She is hands down one of the prettiest actresses ever...

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
This team is totally mentally defeated right now. Coaching in all areas, including special teams, and goaltending are huge reasons this team stinks, and they won't be changing until the offseason.

100% right.

We have proven top end players here, both young and old(er). It isn't a matter of lacking skill, it's that they're mentally broken. No hope, no confidence, tons of frustration, and no chance to turn it around if nothing is done to help them.

Yep, you can tell the boys are really over-thinking things and gripping the sticks way too tight.

Both of Vrana's goals tonight came on plays that started when we had puck possession in the offensive zone. Poor communication, lack of confidence, and consistently being behind the play instead of anticipating where it's going are all things that have been regular fare on the Flyers for too long. They try, but there isn't much team cohesiveness, and when mistakes are made, they usually end up in our goal.

When we get a legitimate NHL head coach, and first rate assistants who are chosen by the head coach, not the GM, things should start turning around.

It will probably take some time, though. Training camp, a full pre-season and about 20 games into the Fall of 2019 should tell us where we are. Hopefully, we'll get some draft luck this Summer. And, hopefully, Fletch will use that big Harvard graduated brain of his to make some moves that will help long-term.

They also might want to hire the best available sports psychologist to work with the guys. They could use it.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I went looking for a gif to accurately describe how I felt about the game, saw this, laughed at the gorilla face, ogled Linda Carter and decided to post it and call it a night.

If the team can quit, so can I!

annAUWf.gif

I had such a massive crush on her as a boy. What a gorgeous woman.

Reactions: pit and baudib1

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
No reason to hold onto players like Voracek and Simmonds and just hope everything turns around next season because they have new coaching. Sell Sell Sell and go with another rebuild! Plenty of young talent and a good prospect pipeline to operate with. The Flyers rebuild didn't workout this time, nothing wrong with trying again.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No reason to hold onto players like Voracek and Simmonds and just hope everything turns around next season because they have new coaching. Sell Sell Sell and go with another rebuild! Plenty of young talent and a good prospect pipeline to operate with. The Flyers rebuild didn't workout this time, nothing wrong with trying again.

This doesn’t make sense. Like at all.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
As frustrating as it is to watch voracek, it’s extremely painful to watch jvr. Every shift he stands completely upright and doesn’t move his legs whatsoever in the defensive zone. When he is in the offensive zone, it’s like he has cement feet. It’s pathetic. I’m so tired of this team.

Reactions: JXC

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
This team looks significantly worse now than they did under Hakstol.
The trip through Canada at the end of Hakstol’s reign was pretty bleeping bad.

That said, the notion that this team’s issue is coaching is laughable.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think JoJo pointed out astutely that everyone wants a pure goal scorer yet no one is happy with JVR and certainly not Simmonds. Simmonds is still on pace for 25+ goals. The Venn diagram covering the people complaining about all of the above is pretty big.

JVR has shown he can be an efficient scorer and even positive possession player with any reasonable linemates. REASONABLE

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I'm sorry but was it necessary to play McKenna here? Is Fletcher thinking McKenna is an upgrade to say Lyon? Because Lyon is way better, McKenna should be on the Phantoms.

Where's the fanboy love for JVR now? Guy is a terrible addition to this team. Our division is not the right one for his style of play. Getting a high scoring forward from the Laffs isn't too different from getting the best defenseman on the Islanders...ahem AMac.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm sorry but was it necessary to play McKenna here? Is Fletcher thinking McKenna is an upgrade to say Lyon? Because Lyon is way better, McKenna should be on the Phantoms.

Where's the fanboy love for JVR now? Guy is a terrible addition to this team. Our division is not the right one for his style of play. Getting a high scoring forward from the Laffs isn't too different from getting the best defenseman on the Islanders...ahem AMac.

Isn't lyon injured?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad