Post-Game Talk: #43: FLYERS 3 at Capitals 5, Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I'm sorry but was it necessary to play McKenna here? Is Fletcher thinking McKenna is an upgrade to say Lyon? Because Lyon is way better, McKenna should be on the Phantoms.

Where's the fanboy love for JVR now? Guy is a terrible addition to this team. Our division is not the right one for his style of play. Getting a high scoring forward from the Laffs isn't too different from getting the best defenseman on the Islanders...ahem AMac.
I believe, since McKenna was picked up on waivers, he may not be demoted to AHL for some period of time/ number of games

Reactions: BernieParent

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think JoJo pointed out astutely that everyone wants a pure goal scorer yet no one is happy with JVR and certainly not Simmonds. Simmonds is still on pace for 25+ goals. The Venn diagram covering the people complaining about all of the above is pretty big.

276775.jpg

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I believe, since McKenna was picked up on waivers, he may not be demoted to AHL for some period of time/ number of games

Our GM decided to pick him up off waivers when he could have played Lyon. Either way, it was a piss poor job

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The trip through Canada at the end of Hakstol’s reign was pretty bleeping bad.

That said, the notion that this team’s issue is coaching is laughable.

Yeah, the idea that it is ONLY coaching is laughable. I am glad no one is saying this and no one did say that about Hak either.

Still often times seen strawman though.

Reactions: Ruck Over

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
What was the explanation for Gostisbehere getting penalized after the goal reversal?

Appeared to commit the infraction after the offsides.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What was the explanation for Gostisbehere getting penalized after the goal reversal?

Appeared to commit the infraction after the offsides.

78.7 Coach’s Challenge – The video review mechanism triggered by the Coach’s Challenge is intended to be extremely narrow in scope and the original call on the ice is to be overturned if, and only if, a determination is made that the original call on the ice was not correct. If a review is not conclusive and/or there is any doubt whatsoever as to whether the call on the ice was correct, the original call on the ice will be confirmed. NOTE: Only one Coach’s Challenge per team per stoppage will be permitted. A team may only request a Coach’s Challenge to review the following scenarios: (i) “Off-side” Play Leading to a Goal – A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team asserts that the play should have been stopped by reason of an “Off-side” infraction by the attacking team.

(a) The standard for overturning the call in the event of a “GOAL” call on the ice is that the NHL Situation Room, after reviewing any and all available replays and consulting with the Linesman, determines that one or more Players on the attacking team preceded the puck into the attacking zone prior to the goal being scored and that, as a result, the play should have been stopped for an “Off-side” infraction; where this standard is met, the goal will be disallowed.

(b) If the result of the challenge is that the play was “On-side”, the goal shall count and the team that issued the challenge shall be assessed a minor penalty for delaying the game.

(c) In the event a goal is reversed due to the NHL Situation Room (after consulting with the Linesman) determining that the play was “Off-side” prior to the goal being scored, the clock (including penalty time clocks, if applicable) will be re-set to the time at which the play should have been stopped for the “Off-side” infraction.

NOTE 1: Goals will only be reviewed for a potential “Off-side” infraction if: (a) the puck does not come out of the attacking zone again; or (b) all members of the attacking team do not clear the attacking zone again, between the time of the “Off-side” play and the time the goal is scored.

NOTE 2: If one or more penalties (major or minor) are assessed between the time of the “Off-side” play and the video review that disallows the apparent goal, the offending team(s) (and responsible Player(s)) will still be required to serve the penalty(ies) identified and assessed, and the time of the penalty(ies) will be recorded as the time at which the play should have been stopped for the “Off-side” infraction.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I don't even know what needs to happen to this team for them to wake up.
<10 minutes left in the game and they realize, oh shit, we're down by 3, let's draw up some f***ing plays and score goals. So they score 2, but there's 6 seconds left on the clock by the time they do that.
Why aren't we drawing up plays when we go down by 1? Where is the creativity when you need it?

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I don't even know what needs to happen to this team for them to wake up.
<10 minutes left in the game and they realize, oh ****, we're down by 3, let's draw up some ****ing plays and score goals. So they score 2, but there's 6 seconds left on the clock by the time they do that.
Why aren't we drawing up plays when we go down by 1? Where is the creativity when you need it?

I’d like to see better situations approach at 5v5. Gostisbehere and/or Sanheim should be on the ice for the majority of OZ draws. I like the idea of swapping out a defenseman for a forward as well. If the group fails to maintain possession in the OZ off the draw, the floater forward would hop off for a defenseman.

Not sure what to say about continuous 5v5 play other than, “Gordon ain’t it”.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Don’t know what people expected from JVR. He is exactly what anyone should have known he would be.

Which is a fine complimentary piece used in a scoring role. He. Hasn’t been used properly at all, no clue what our org is doing with him.
Shouldve never gave the SLUG his deal in the 1st place.
He wasnt gonna get any faster or play any harder than before and before they were trash level

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think JoJo pointed out astutely that everyone wants a pure goal scorer yet no one is happy with JVR and certainly not Simmonds. Simmonds is still on pace for 25+ goals. The Venn diagram covering the people complaining about all of the above is pretty big.

JVR has shown he can be an efficient scorer and even positive possession player with any reasonable linemates. REASONABLE

I'm gonna keep beating this drum but, slap JVR on PP1 and then at 5v5 give him Frosty as his Center and he will produce what we expect from him.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
We are all masochist. Maybe we're nihilist too. I wouldn't blame anyone here for hitting a small mammal with their car if it were caught in the middle of the road, children/people excepted.

The game was false hope in the 1st period. The 2nd period is what I expected to see. Surprisingly, they got some gumption and responded well with a decent third. I didn't expect the comeback to come through, but I was upset they gave up the empty netter. Also, I find it amusing that people are ragging on Voracek, he scores. People rag on Simmer, he scores. People question Giroux, he scores. Maybe all of our negativity does have a positive effect. Yeah, totally that's it.

The Ghost penalty on Wilson makes no sense, NHL/refs- do better. Had Wilson not been skating into the zone, and Ghost impeded him from touching up to pursue the puck again, yeah, penalty. But by gosh, that penalty was just dumb. Kudos to Gordon for making the challenge call, because reasons.

I'm happy that Gordon plays Lindblom on the PK, but the timing issues are still there. The Lindblom-NP-V line being used as a 4th line surprised me some. I want them to be used more, so they need to be better.

I enjoy these threads for the quips and snark. We are all most likely decent'ish people, with a lot of bile and hate in our hearts and souls. Flyers, help us heal, inflict no more injuries, entertainment will garner our empathy.

See everyone Thursday night/Friday! Game #44 here we come!

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I just wanted to let everyone on here know that if I hear about anyone hitting small mammals with their cars, I will deliver a beating.
Tell the Flyers to be better. I'm not gonna run over a skunk, and there isn't much wildlife in the streets of Center City Philadelphia. There's hate in my heart, and the pain I feel deserves to be felt by everything. But fear not, reptiles, amphibians, and birds are also fair game.

Large mammals only get a pass due to the damage they might inflict upon being struck by the vehicle. Had I a semi, or H1, large mammals would also be valid causalities.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'm sorry but was it necessary to play McKenna here? Is Fletcher thinking McKenna is an upgrade to say Lyon? Because Lyon is way better, McKenna should be on the Phantoms.

Where's the fanboy love for JVR now? Guy is a terrible addition to this team. Our division is not the right one for his style of play. Getting a high scoring forward from the Laffs isn't too different from getting the best defenseman on the Islanders...ahem AMac.
We have to break the record for number of goalies played in a year. We tied it last night! Since the season is over, this is what I look forward to - breaking the record for goalie futility in a season! We only need one more goalie! I'm hoping to swing a trade for Talbot to get that contract off of their hands.

Reactions: Foggy14

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
this was one of those games where coots staked his claim as a clear number 1 center in this league, and really a force to reckoned with.
You are joking, right? I just have to ask...I'm 99% sure you are, but want to clarify. To me, by FAR most over rated player in league. Just watch. No one is weaker on puck then him. Horrible passer. Bad decisions. Poor skater. Have to admit, he gets points, but I think that is more of a factor of playing with Giroux and and everything that entails then anything else. If he wasn't in a good situation, hed be a 40 point a year guy...absolutely top end.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
You are joking, right? I just have to ask...I'm 99% sure you are, but want to clarify. To me, by FAR most over rated player in league. Just watch. No one is weaker on puck then him. Horrible passer. Bad decisions. Poor skater. Have to admit, he gets points, but I think that is more of a factor of playing with Giroux and and everything that entails then anything else. If he wasn't in a good situation, hed be a 40 point a year guy...absolutely top end.

You forgot :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

And :dunce::jump:

Reactions: Striiker

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Boxscore, I thought you coped well with the bad trade criticism. Why make a second account?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad