Golf: 42nd Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - September 28-30

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Other than the last Ryder Cup when he had a winning record and one of top scorers for the US or the 2014 Ryder Cup when he again had a winning and was one of the higher scorers for the US or the 2012 Ryder when he was the top point getter for the US.

But you are right he has never been good in this competition.

So you are saying he's had a couple of good Ryder Cups in a very bad RC career?

Should we compare his career in the Ryder Cup to Faldo or Ballesteros? Mickelson and Woods are expected to be the pillars of our RC team for 25 years. They are one of the main reasons why we've struggled in this tournament. And I say that as a fan of Tiger and as someone that is not a fan of Phil, so this is not about criticizing someone I'm not a fan of and not criticizing someone I'm a fan of.

Phil just absolutely can not be paired with others. His style of play is way too my way or the highway for team format. It shows in the fact that he basically has not paired well with anyone aside for two players in over 20 years in this competition. With Tiger, I don't think he cares much about the RC, and I can't blame him. As a fan of his, I care about his performance in this tournament a lot less than any individual event. Thats where the best mostly earn their legacy, not the RC.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND

Should we compare his career in the Ryder Cup to Faldo or Ballesteros? Mickelson and Woods are expected to be the pillars of our RC team for 25 years. They are one of the main reasons why we've struggled in this tournament. And I say that as a fan of Tiger and as someone that is not a fan of Phil, so this is not about criticizing someone I'm not a fan of and not criticizing someone I'm a fan of.

Phil just absolutely can not be paired with others. His style of play is way too my way or the highway for team format. It shows in the fact that he basically has not paired well with anyone aside for two players in over 20 years in this competition. With Tiger, I don't think he cares much about the RC, and I can't blame him. As a fan of his, I care about his performance in this tournament a lot less than any individual event. Thats where the best mostly earn their legacy, not the RC.
So you are saying Tiger doesn’t really care about playing for his country? I highly doubt that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

You said he never played well I pointed out that the last 3 tournaments he has played well.

Look I get that for some reason this board has decided to kill Mickelson this week despite many other playing worse in the Ryder Cup and coming into the Ryder Cup but Phil is an easy target for people who don't care about facts.

If you want to talk about Phil overall in the Ryder Cup yes, there have been some terrible performances and yes over his career he hasn't performed to his talent level but that was not what you said and I don't see the problem with pointing out a clearly false statement.

And yes he absolutely can be paired with others. He and Kizner were one of the best pairs, Him and Bradley were also awesome in 2014 (I think it was that one).

Look you obviously have a narrative that you want to believe so I understand you likely aren't going to change your mind but your argument would make more sense if it didn't constantly contain such obviously false statements like Mickelson has never been good at the RC or that he can't be paired with others.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So you are saying Tiger doesn’t really care about playing for his country? I highly doubt that.

Why phrase it like that? Does Brooks Koepka not care about 90% of his career? Tiger's career has always been about being the best golfer ever. The RC will not effect that one way or another.

Its normal that someone who has so much pressure on them for 9 months of the year could let up for one event that doesn't actually effect their legacy. No one cares if Tony Finau or Thorbjorn Olesen misses the cut at the US Open. It makes little difference for his career and no one notices. Its completely realistic that Tiger gets burned out. His every shot is scrutinized and his every shot is that much more important from a historical perspective.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I remember an epic match between Mickelson and Stenson, in 2016 Ryder Cup I think.
And Lefty won that match. Simply, now, Mickelson is not in a good condition. It can happen and he's not the only reason why Team USA sucks this week.

About Tiger Woods...to be honest I'm very happy he won The Tour Championship and I know he did a miracle coming back to the top 15 golfers in the world.
So, I'm happy.

Jan 3, 2012

Didn't he say he only started caring about the RC after his father passed? IIRC he said Earl told him not to be too comfortable with teammates even in the Ryder Cup.

But yeah, I don't think Tiger ever really put the most weight into a manufactured team tournament in an individual sport. Nobody really cares about the RC when looking at legacies. I've never seen anyone talk about Jack or Arnie in the RC. It's all majors and tour wins.

Plus, Tiger is dead tired, he has played so much the last couple months going back to the open, that he has nothing left in the tank. He should've only played 1 match today, maybe even less. Guy is dead tired.

Reactions: Fabiobest

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Why phrase it like that? Does Brooks Koepka not care about 90% of his career? His career has always been about being the best golfer ever. The RC will not effect that one way or another.

Its normal that someone who has so much pressure on them for 9 months of the year could let up for one event that doesn't actually effect their legacy. No one cares if Tony Finau or Thorbjorn Olesen misses the cut at the US Open. It makes little difference for his career and no one notices. Its completely realistic that Tiger gets burned out. His every shot is scrutinized and his every shot is that much more important from a historical perspective.
And there're not only the 4 Majors...
The guys have to play well also in tournaments like The Players, The Memorial, Bay Hill, the WGCs, the FexEx playoffs, and many others...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You said he never played well I pointed out that the last 3 tournaments he has played well.

Look I get that for some reason this board has decided to kill Mickelson this week despite many other playing worse in the Ryder Cup and coming into the Ryder Cup but Phil is an easy target for people who don't care about facts.

If you want to talk about Phil overall in the Ryder Cup yes, there have been some terrible performances and yes over his career he hasn't performed to his talent level but that was not what you said and I don't see the problem with pointing out a clearly false statement.

And yes he absolutely can be paired with others. He and Kizner were one of the best pairs, Him and Bradley were also awesome in 2014 (I think it was that one).

Look you obviously have a narrative that you want to believe so I understand you likely aren't going to change your mind but your argument would make more sense if it didn't constantly contain such obviously false statements like Mickelson has never been good at the RC or that he can't be paired with others.

Kisner has not played in the RC. He paired well with Bradley. I alluded to that. Also paired well with David Toms, but he hasn't paired well with anyone else in over 20 years.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Didn't he say he only started caring about the RC after his father passed? IIRC he said Earl told him not to be too comfortable with teammates even in the Ryder Cup.

But yeah, I don't think Tiger ever really put the most weight into a manufactured team tournament in an individual sport. Nobody really cares about the RC when looking at legacies. I've never seen anyone talk about Jack or Arnie in the RC. It's all majors and tour wins.

Plus, Tiger is dead tired, he has played so much the last couple months going back to the open, that he has nothing left in the tank. He should've only played 1 match today, maybe even less. Guy is dead tired.
Also, we've to say that TW has underwent to 4 back surgeries in the last couple of year...So it's normal that, after a season like that, he arrived at the RC without lots of energies

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And there're not only the 4 Majors...
The guys have to play well also in tournaments like The Players, The Memorial, Bay Hill, the WGCs, the FexEx playoffs, and many others...

Tiger isn't a robot. Maybe it seemed like he was in 2000, but he gets tired. Most of the players will never admit it because they'd be criticized for the rest of their careers, but the top guys don't care as much about the Ryder Cup because they simply realize they don't have the energy to do so. They need to prioritize, and that comes in the big individual events. Rory actually admitted this years ago, and he got criticized a lot for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad