Golf: 42nd Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - September 28-30

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Me too I can't criticize too much the pairings. Maybe Furyk decision to pick Mickelson was bad...
The big problem is in the mind of the players...

Other that being an easy target why is Mickelson taking all the blame here?

Dechambeau sucked, the Thomas/Speith pairing shot a worse score (even though score doesn't matter), Reed was much worse in terms of form coming in, Bubba should have even more questions based on form, ability, history etc.

I think the pairings were less of an issue than who he chose for what format and who teed off on which holes. I think sometimes it is hard to balance getting everyone out there versus going with the hot team (although that is the job).

There will be a lot made out of this a. because there always is and b. 4-0 looks so bad but really the US is 2 down with a much better team and having played about as bad as you could expect.

It will be fun to watch what should be a close battle and hopefully some good singles matches with high importance on Sunday.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Once Europe started winning hole after hole it snowballed and the US players minds were defeated. Again it didn’t matter who was paired together. Start anew tomorrow
I agree with you about the pairings: I think Furyk has not done terrible mistakes. His job is quite good till now.
The point is that, this afternoon, the Americans scored 4 over par round, without hitting fairways and missing also the shorts putts.
They played very poorly and the cause is not Furyk of course.
Let's see tomorrow what happens. I hope that the Americans will react.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Other that being an easy target why is Mickelson taking all the blame here?

Dechambeau sucked, the Thomas/Speith pairing shot a worse score (even though score doesn't matter), Reed was much worse in terms of form coming in, Bubba should have even more questions based on form, ability, history etc.

I think the pairings were less of an issue than who he chose for what format and who teed off on which holes. I think sometimes it is hard to balance getting everyone out there versus going with the hot team (although that is the job).

There will be a lot made out of this a. because there always is and b. 4-0 looks so bad but really the US is 2 down with a much better team and having played about as bad as you could expect.

It will be fun to watch what should be a close battle and hopefully some good singles matches with high importance on Sunday.
Also imho Mickelson is not the only cause of this afternoon.
I can't blame Furyk for the pairings. Imho the USA team played poorly maybe because their attitude was wrong this afternoon.
I suppose they go out for the 4some and they're sure they've already won the battle.
Let's see tomorrow if the Team USA will react well (I hope so of course cause I want to see an amazing show on my TV :) )

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Btw, tomorrow morning we'll see again Tiger and Koepka of course.
Probably Koepka will play again with Finau.
Maybe we'll see Spieth and Reed together.

About the Euro team, Frankie Molinari and Fleetwood are perfect.
We'll see again Rahm and Rose. And also Rory and Noren I think.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I can't blame Furyk for the pairings. Imho the USA team played poorly maybe because their attitude was wrong this afternoon.
I suppose they go out for the 4some and they're sure they've already won the battle.
Let's see tomorrow if the Team USA will react well (I hope so of course cause I want to see an amazing show on my TV :) )
It’s easy to blame Furyk. But let’s be real like you said. The US guys played like crap. Furyk had nothing to do with their poor play.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
It’s easy to blame Furyk. But let’s be real like you said. The US guys played like crap. Furyk had nothing to do with their poor play.
I totally agree with you. You're 100% right.
Blame Furyk is the easiest way, and it's also the worst.
JT and Spieth, for example: this morning they played quite good...this afternoon like crap.
DJ and Fowler the same.
Bubba and Simpson, after 4-5 holes were up by 2. Then they collapsed idk why.
Furyk is not the reason for the 0-4 session, imho.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I think the pairings are hard to criticize, especially in foursomes, because we don't know about how guys get along behind the scenes which can play a big role in how they fit on the course. There also could be more technical issues about how guys hit it and the type of shots that they leave that could come into play as well.

I do question the Mickelson-Dechambeau pairing as they both seem like emotional guys that are able to take bad situations and make them worse. I question whether that is a good pairing as it could lead to things going off the rails quickly like it did today. I think they both have the attitude that they can make everything up on one (usually crazy) shot which can snowball. Sometimes par is what is needed especially in the middle of that run the Euros were on and I am not sure either guy would be the one to say or think that.

With Simpson and Watson it seems like such a blah pair to me. I guess maybe Bubba is the leader in that group but at his age/ability I am not sure he should be in that role. I would rather seen him with a younger guy who could carry him on the course while Bubba provided some "intangibles" to the group.

I think sending DJ and Rickie made sense and understand the Speith/JT grouping as well although I think its time to go with Speith/Reed again.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I think the pairings are hard to criticize, especially in foursomes, because we don't know about how guys get along behind the scenes which can play a big role in how they fit on the course. There also could be more technical issues about how guys hit it and the type of shots that they leave that could come into play as well.

I do question the Mickelson-Dechambeau pairing as they both seem like emotional guys that are able to take bad situations and make them worse. I question whether that is a good pairing as it could lead to things going off the rails quickly like it did today. I think they both have the attitude that they can make everything up on one (usually crazy) shot which can snowball. Sometimes par is what is needed especially in the middle of that run the Euros were on and I am not sure either guy would be the one to say or think that.

With Simpson and Watson it seems like such a blah pair to me. I guess maybe Bubba is the leader in that group but at his age/ability I am not sure he should be in that role. I would rather seen him with a younger guy who could carry him on the course while Bubba provided some "intangibles" to the group.

I think sending DJ and Rickie made sense and understand the Speith/JT grouping as well although I think its time to go with Speith/Reed again.
I think that the Reed/Spieth group will play tomorrow morning.
And I'm curious to see who will be the partner of Tiger Woods.
:)
But, most important thing, I want to see if the Americans will react, putting the right attitude on the course.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
From a European POV I'd send Noren and Garcia out there again in the morning. Probably keep going with Fleetwood and Molinari aswell. Leaning towards Stenson/Rose and Rahm/Casey for the other two. Give Rory and Poults a new shot in the afternoon. Don't really care about Hatton and Olesen.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately today, I don’t have golf channel this weekend where I’m at so I wasn’t able to watch any of the rounds. But that afternoon looked baaaad. I’ve always wished that everyone or at least 5 pairings played each round. Sitting a third of the team kind of sucks.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Furyk may not be the best Captain ever.

The great thing about the RC is that the US can bring in PGA money list leaders and Europe can still kick their butts.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Koepka/Finau vs Rory/Sergio
DJ/Rickie vs Casey/Hatton
Tiger/Pat vs Molinari/Fleetwood
Spieth/JT vs Poulter/Rahm

Tomorrow morning's fourballs. Can't believe Tiger and Pat get stuck playing against that pairing again. Also very skeptical of sitting Noren who played excellently today with Sergio.

Jan 3, 2012
Koepka/Finau vs Rory/Sergio
DJ/Rickie vs Casey/Hatton
Tiger/Pat vs Molinari/Fleetwood
Spieth/JT vs Poulter/Rahm

Tomorrow morning's fourballs. Can't believe Tiger and Pat get stuck playing against that pairing again. Also very skeptical of sitting Noren who played excellently today with Sergio.

I bolded the teams I think will win. The other two matches are a toss.

Man, both coaches are making very odd decisions.

Jan 3, 2012
Why is Tiger playing with Fat Pat again?

So they can lose again?

Honestly you wouldn't think Tiger would want to play with Reed. It must be Reeds enthusiasm for the event. Furyk needs Tiger to contain the energetic young puppy.

Reed seems like the type of guy to be coasting in professional golf off his talents. He could probably be much better I would think. He's almost like a poor mans John Daly, but without the drinking and addiction issues.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So they can lose again?

Honestly you wouldn't think Tiger would want to play with Reed. It must be Reeds enthusiasm for the event. Furyk needs Tiger to contain the energetic young puppy.

Reed seems like the type of guy to be coasting in professional golf off his talents. He could probably be much better I would think. He's almost like a poor mans John Daly, but without the drinking and addiction issues.

There were times today where it looked like Tiger wanted no parts of playing with him.

Tiger went up to Reed on 17 and asked him what he should do with his shot since he was in the rough and Reed was in the fairway. Tiger layed up and Reed ends up hitting his approach into the water all but giving the win to Europe

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I've said that, imho, tomorrow we'll se Reed with Spieth.
I was wrong.
Maybe Furyk chose the same pairings also to see if the Americans will put the heart and the proud on the course.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Phil and Bryson should not see the course tomorrow. Phil's form is awful right now, and he's never been good in this competition. No one can play with Bryson because of how he plays. If he doesn't make the team on his own, I wouldn't give him any more captains picks. Bubba is another one I wouldn't put on the course tomorrow. Simpson is more solid. Maybe put him in tomorrow afternoon for someone like Finau. We might need some new pairings, as well.

Jan 3, 2012
Phil and Bryson should not see the course tomorrow. Phil's form is awful right now, and he's never been good in this competition. No one can play with Bryson because of how he plays. If he doesn't make the team on his own, I wouldn't give him any more captains picks. Bubba is another one I wouldn't put on the course tomorrow. Simpson is more solid. Maybe put him in tomorrow afternoon for someone like Finau. We might need some new pairings, as well.

Bryson can play with Tiger I would think. But yeah, I agree that he is difficult to play with. Agree with most of the other comments.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tiger had been campaigning for Bryson and they had been practicing together. I don't know why they haven't been paired. Bryson is just too good to play only 2 or 3 sessions this week.

I would near guarantee that Tiger’s top five candidates to play with doesn’t include Bryson. I’d guess the Thursday pod, DJ and Rickie are his top five candidates. Maybe Bryson would come before Phil and Bubba, but that isn’t saying much.

Being good at golf doesn’t matter that nor does being friends. Phil and Tiger are two of the best ever at the sport and usually underperform in the RC. Bryson has a little bit of Phil syndrome. Hard guy to pair with because he’s so my way or the highway.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl
Jan 3, 2012
I would near guarantee that Tiger’s top five candidates to play with doesn’t include Bryson. I’d guess the Thursday pod, DJ and Rickie are his top five candidates. Maybe Bryson would come before Phil and Bubba, but that isn’t saying much.

Being good at golf doesn’t matter that nor does being friends. Phil and Tiger are two of the best ever at the sport and usually underperform in the RC. Bryson has a little bit of Phil syndrome. Hard guy to pair with because he’s so my way or the highway.

Eh, I recall Bryson and Tiger had floated the idea of playing together several weeks back, and were reported to have used each others ball during the Tour Championship practice days.

Plus I don't think Bryson's peculiar ways would translate that much, because Tiger isn't using his swing nor equipment, so unless Bryson's course management or ball is vastly different, or if there are other personality issues/stubbornness then Bryson should be fine to play with I would think.

I do agree that Phil is basically only there because of his reputation/career and win this season. His recent form sucks and I think he should be benched and thrown to the wolves sunday, but I would bet his reputation doesn't allow that to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad