Post-Game Talk: 4 goals here, 4 goals there, a little hat-trick here, shortside there. Welcome to the Gongshow Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Quite unsettling watching Gallagher out there.

He's really missing Danault IMO. Remember the expert posters who said the opposite? Gallagher was making Danault look good?

I expect rebound from Gallagher next year. Not going to be a 30 goal 50 pts guy but he can get back to 20 goals and 40 pts. Regardless, that contract is something we will have to learn to live with.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
He's really missing Danault IMO. Remember the expert posters who said the opposite? Gallagher was making Danault look good?

I expect rebound from Gallagher next year. Not going to be a 30 goal 50 pts guy but he can get back to 20 goals and 40 pts. Regardless, that contract is something we will have to learn to live with.

So you're saying to explore a possible trade with LA ? Even that I doubt they do since Brown is going to be a UFA this summer and Gally has 4 years left on that deal!!! ouch

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Gally is just breaking down, which is what most people feared.....Gretzky couldn't do much for Gally this year, let along the great Phil...that narrative was always overblown. Both of them played a role in each others success. Which was no success for the team, we were usually 18th -24th place with those guys getting first line minutes....

I do also think Gally will rebound, but wow what an awful contract to give to an aging vet who can barely skate anymore....the Bergevin Era strikes again.....

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you're saying to explore a possible trade with LA ? Even that I doubt they do since Brown is going to be a UFA this summer and Gally has 4 years left on that deal!!! ouch

Not really. Let them call us. I'm not a fan of shopping a player when they are trending low. We just have to learn to live with Gallagher being overpaid at this stage. If he demands a trade, that's his problem but I do think Gallagher is not happy about his production and he will focus on that in the off season. A long off season can do wonders and a fresh start for next year.

He's not the type to settle or be complacent. Even if his 30+ years are coming, I do think his pride is on the line and he's going to bust his ass off to prove people wrong (again). Can he? We will see but not expecting much to finish this season

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Was no sense in Evan's fighting Mark. He's no match physical for him. Be stupid really
I would like to see Evans skate the entire length of the ice, and put Schiefle into next tuesday, which is what happened last year in the playoffs..........some form of payback would be nice......but do also realize that sweeping their arses in 4 was fantastic too!!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gally is just breaking down, which is what most people feared.....Gretzky couldn't do much for Gally this let year, let along the great Phil...that narrative was always overblown. Both of them played a role in each others success. Which was no success for the team, we were usually 18th -24th place with those guys getting first line minutes....

I do also think Gally will rebound, but wow what an awful contract to give to an aging vet who can barely skate anymore....the Bergevin Era strikes again.....

Yeah, it's not cool to watch cause we all valued the hard work Gallagher put in for us. Doubt he is a 30 goal guy ever again but lets hope he can get to 15-20 goals and 40-50 pts after a fresh restart next year with possible roster tinkering

Reactions: BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This is the sign of a burgeoning dominant two way player who will help a team win a cup. Neat find
I keep coming back to Marty’s philosophy/ comments on setting players free and leveraging those that can “read plays” - not only Suzuki / Caufield on the high end but also maximizing output from the likes of Evans / Lekhonen’s etc

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tough game for Monty last night............first period, 4 goals, 6 shots.............the zamboni driver would not have been that bad.
Then Anderson wakes everyone up, and bam we are tied.............then Monty let us down, and that awful PK that landed us letting them get 4 PP goals to finish it out..........
Hamburglar will steal the net!!
Hoping Allen gets back shortly, so we can trade him too!!
Big Ben, Lehky and Kulak are more than likely gone.....at least 3-4 guys will still get traded.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Was no sense in Evan's fighting Mark. He's no match physical for him. Be stupid really

It's what the NHL wants. Whatever the result of the play the small player can be bullied and injured later. You would think they would have learned that this is a bad idea in kindergarten.

I don't know what the value of having big guys bully small guys is. If they want boxing matches they should do weight classes.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Gally started regressing when Danault was still here. Never should have been signed to that extension. Bergevin clowned us hard.

Reactions: BLONG7

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Scheifele continued to act like an arse after his suspension came down. And took it a step further by agreeing to do ads that trivialized his hit on Evans:

CA15nz8.jpg

mNGXAYr.jpg

0mvWHp0.jpg

"You can't have your head down, boy," says Mark Scheifele in an advertising campaign - Newsy Today

Must have been Evans’ fault for not anticipating a predatory hit.

So much class right there.

Oooof.

Blown away by the absolute lack of self awareness and the total absence of even a modicum of restraint.

Unreal. The ad agency coming up with this "gem" of an idea comes close second in those regards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gally started regressing when Danault was still here. Never should have been signed to that extension. Bergevin clowned us hard.

The regressing part is usually a rollercoaster ride. It's not the first time have seen Gallagher with low numbers (look at his 16/17 season). I agree that we overpaid but I don't agree that all players decline in a lineal curve like that.

Age and mileage is a factor yes. But Gallagher had 23 pts with 14 goals in 35 games last season with Danault. I do believe he is missing Danault and you can brush that under the rug if you wish. I don't agree with that part of the overall context that has many angles to consider

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm starting to like Pitlick's game. Not a bad piece to have around in rebuild years one bit. Fast skater and energy guy. Seen him win some puck battles against bigger players which tells me he has drive and determination
Same. I've liked what he brings to the team. Every now and then a waiver pickup does good.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I really cant believe Gallagher and that ridiculous Cap hit are here another 4 years lol
Complete and total bummer
Just gotta hope he is "unhappy" enough after we trade away guys and start losing again that he asks for "out", because I'm scared the new people in charge think we have to hang onto this guy for some reason..

I can handle hanging onto petry, it's not like hes a 5"10 defenseman, but we CANNOT hang onto BOTH of these guys, it just cant f***ing happen

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Not really. Let them call us. I'm not a fan of shopping a player when they are trending low. We just have to learn to live with Gallagher being overpaid at this stage. If he demands a trade, that's his problem but I do think Gallagher is not happy about his production and he will focus on that in the off season. A long off season can do wonders and a fresh start for next year.

He's not the type to settle or be complacent. Even if his 30+ years are coming, I do think his pride is on the line and he's going to bust his ass off to prove people wrong (again). Can he? We will see but not expecting much to finish this season

That's the thing, no one will be calling us for Gallagher!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's the thing, no one will be calling us for Gallagher!!

I don't know. Probably not but how would we know. If they did call, it's basically buy low and dump a contract on us type offer.

Will they never every call in the future? Once again, I don't know. We have to just let Gallagher play in piece and come to grips he is overpaid. Lets see how fresh he is to start next season cause I do expect some level of rebound.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
hopefully it's a learning experience for MSL as I would assume he doesn't have much experience on when to pull goalies. But his other coaches should have seen how poorly Monty was playing. This game could have gone very differently and with how they were playing up to this game, it would have been a huge statement game to come back and win this on the road.

It the end it doesn't matter since the season is lost but when hopefully the games do matter, MSL knows when to pull his goalie as I'm sure that takes a while to get a feel for when you are a former forward.

Reactions: Redux91

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's one of the strangest games I've ever seen. It felt like three different games in one.

Winnipeg was lucky that the habs never got the lead in the 2nd period where they were really taking the game to them until the late goal, and I think that flipped the game. Despite allowing 4 goals, hellebyuck was key in not allowing the next one.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I really cant believe Gallagher and that ridiculous Cap hit are here another 4 years lol
Complete and total bummer

Not sure if this will cheer you up but actually Gally is with us for 5 more years after this one.

On the plus side, the last year his actual salary drops to $4m (still a $6.5 AAV hit). That money is more tradeable but too bad the player himself probably not as he'll be so broken down well before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad