Post-Game Talk: 4-2 Lightning

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
jmo that mocking and chastising somebody several times over the exact same post is probably not necessary. A certain amount of piling on likes to take place on this board. Probably due to us all being frustrated. if you see me doing that tell me to knock it off and I will.

I'll knock it off anyway. ;)

Replacement, I agree completely with what you said here.

Not to drag this useless conversation out longer, but just so you know where I was coming from...one of the things I hate to see on the boards is hyperbole and conclusion jumping. When posters are claiming "Hall will be out for 6 months, no question, I've seen this before" a hour after the injury, it's ridiculous and detracts from the boards.

By pointing out that these claims are usually untrue, I'd hope that it cuts down on the amount of times we see such claims.

Or maybe I'm just naive. Probably the latter.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Brett Hull looked like a non factor earlier in his career. Fact of the matter is you don't notice one shot scorers a lot in a game until the puck is in the back of the net.

Yak isn't a guy that you're going to see handling the puck a lot, not really his forte at NHL level yet. Finding and cloaking into scoring chances should be, and thats a little off, but the service so far this year has been brutal. Best shooter on the club and hardly ever detected out there. Not getting a lot of good setups imo.

Ebs lately only contributes assists if anything and had 2 tonight on really routine passes that just happened to lead to goals. Neither was particularly riveting. Eberle is going to get pts just on the basis of possessing the puck a lot. Not a bad thing, but the production with him on the ice really isn't all that great especially considering his huge PP alotment. Several PP's this year I note Eberle never leaves the ice, is out there for the whole 2mins. Happened again today in first period.

Really good post here. Yak is a finisher, not a starter.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I just finished watching the replay of this goal, and I couldn't agree more.

I see all sorts of talent, but what happened to this kid's will to win a hockey game?

After getting stripped of the puck like a preschooler getting shaken down for his lunch money, he moved his feet with the bare minimum economy of motion that was the slightest step up from gliding on skates. IMO it was way worse than anything Yakupov did or didn't do on the 1st goal (which would've been stopped if Dubnyk had anything going for him other than size when it comes to goaltending talent).

I'd like to know as well. He got 2 pts tonight. Seems like its enough for him these days just to pad some pts in a bad allround effort. Very seldom a complete game from this player. His best might've been a Montreal game.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
On most breakouts the safest place to have the puck is across the blue line. ;)

We've seen time and time again this team turn at the blue line. It's absolutely baffling how a team does the same thing time and time again and never learn. When you're facing a forecheck, get the hell out of your own zone. 2 goals today caused directly because of turnovers that were completely preventable. The puck gets out on goals 1 and 2 and it's a different game.

I have a feeling that Yak was trying to get up ice so he could receive the pass over the blue line, as he was busting ass with only one hand on the stick. If he was a righty, though, he might have been able to recover.

Edit: watched it again, another forward was ahead while yak was too deep, so nm

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's kinda' what I was talking about in an earlier post regarding the 2nd goal:

Hall passed to a full speed Yakupov...but...IMO...it would be more effective to let Yak' bolt up the rink and force some T-Bay guys to account for him...rather than make the most obvious play...which is to give it to him while he's making the "big curl" because it doesn't matter how fast Yak' is going...someone is going to have an angle on him if/when he gets a pass there and at the speed he was going...he had zero chance to safely adjust. He nearly got cranked!

Hall needs to make a secondary play there...or...Yak needs to slow down...or both.

In fairness to Yak what looked like an opening closed down in a hurry. It was a nice play for the Lightning player to pinch in there and also the big check. Yak bobbled the puck then saw the freight train. Fact of the matter is he needs to be more concerned with the puck there but again a young player and self preservation took over in the moment. Like it would for most inexperienced pro players. Its always an aggressive pass though sending it up the middle like that. You wonder what Hall is thinking there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So Replacement, any thoughts on the actual game instead of other posters and Eberle?

You mean other than Yak, Hall, Eberle? These forwards had some problem in their game tonight again. They are forwards that are notable and that we need to, and should expect more from.

Should I be talking about an inconsequential 4th line?

The game was **** like I expected it to be. Bad matchup for this club right now. I absolutely knew going in Stamkos would hit multiple goals. I called a 7-2 loss ftr. A little hyperbole.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You mean other than Yak, Hall, Eberle? These forwards had some problem in their game tonight again. They are forwards that are notable and that we need to, and should expect more from.

Well that's lines 1 and 4...

I expect more from you, Replacement. Usually you have an in-depth analysis of the game but right now you're just slandering our players.

At least put some of the blame on our useless goalie.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
On most breakouts the safest place to have the puck is across the blue line. ;)

We've seen time and time again this team turn at the blue line. It's absolutely baffling how a team does the same thing time and time again and never learn. When you're facing a forecheck, get the hell out of your own zone. 2 goals today caused directly because of turnovers that were completely preventable. The puck gets out on goals 1 and 2 and it's a different game.

I think...it comes down to commitment & intensity.

They seem to make most of their worse turnovers when the best opposing players are on the ice.

To me...that's damning because I would think there should be an extra attention to detail when guys like Ovechkin/Stamkos are on the ice.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
In fairness to Yak what looked like an opening closed down in a hurry. It was a nice play for the Lightning player to pinch in there and also the big check. Yak bobbled the puck then saw the freight train. Fact of the matter is he needs to be more concerned with the puck there but again a young player and self preservation took over in the moment. Like it would for most inexperienced pro players. Its always an aggressive pass though sending it up the middle like that. You wonder what Hall is thinking there.

My opinion on this one is that Yakupov didn't handle the play all that well, but as you say you have to give some credit for the TB player (Killorn) who showed good anticipation in disrupting the pass to Yak.

That being said, I blame Dubnyk the most for that goal going in because that's the kind of shot that a good goalie doesn't let in from that far out. Yeah it's Stamkos, but it's still just another highlight of the dearth of talent that Dubnyk has.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005

The game was **** like I expected it to be. Bad matchup for this club right now. I absolutely knew going in Stamkos would hit multiple goals. I called a 7-2 loss ftr. A little hyperbole.

I actually tweeted it was "Garunteed Hat Trick Night" for Stamkos. I was shocked he only ended up with 5 SOG's. It was looking like he was going to have that in goals.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005

Pretty sure Yakupov also only had one hand on his stick...no doubt using his free hand for extra power generation as he curled. That's bad form on his part. And yes...Hall could've noticed how reckless it was all looking...Yak' going up the rink like he is heading to the county fair...and opted for something a little more responsible.

Like I said before...slow down...get two hands on your stick... and safety up.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well that's lines 1 and 4...

I expect more from you, Replacement. Usually you have an in-depth analysis of the game but right now you're just slandering our players.

At least put some of the blame on our useless goalie.

Its a given I could blame Dubnyk. I did proactively before the game started..:D

You just knew he'd get owned tonight with guys like Stamkos and St Louis around. I think Stamkos could beat Dubnyk for fun. Quite frankly Dubs doesn't have good enough reaction time to be stopping premier gun slingers. They own him. Virtually every damn time.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Felt Dubnyk had a chance on the first one and should have stopped the wraparound. Need a goalie.

Nice to have Hall back. Missing Perron and Belov (!!?!) right now. And Joensuu.

I guess Tampa Bay has beaten the Hawks twice, St. Louis and Minnesota this year, so I don't feel so bad.

This game at least was more like I expected from the team this year - lots of shots, with a couple of dumb turnovers that resulted in goals against, and a crappy goalie who has won 1 game for the team this year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You know even when the Oilers play half decent they still find ways to lose. That's the difference between "good" competitive teams that can turn average or even mediocre games into points somehow... and then there's the Oilers who seem to be able to turn even decent efforts into futility on a consistent basis.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I still go with Dubnyk on Saturday. Don't play LaBarbera, just wave him when Bachman gets healthy.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
He was garbage.

Countless turnovers and a complete lack of effort.

Two assists don't make up for it.

He had some turnovers, but not nearly as stupid turnovers as others on our team. Also, they weren't just assists, he set both plays up. Without him the score is 3-0 and not 4-2.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eakins is being generous in the "we made 3 mistakes tonight" ... Stamkos was left uncontested in the slot at least two or three other teams from point blank range. We're lucky he didn't get a hat trick.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Ebs had an ok game

We could pay someone a lot less than 75 grand per game to play "ok"

He is scared of going to the net now and is playing really soft in general.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sounds familiar. Hemsky has been doing that here for years. Now it's Ebs turn.

Eberle is actually producing points though to go with the brain farts.

Hemsky is producing a whole lot of nothing these days. They need to trade him ASAP before he reinjures himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad