Post-Game Talk: 4-2 Lightning

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Moral victories are all the Oilers mouthpieces have left.

I hope we see a run of actual victories soon. :laugh:

Yeah, it is slowly getting better. Not quick enough to recover the season, but the team is finally working out the kinks and returning to health. I think we'll see some bright spots and successes in the not too distant future, enough to make us forget about some of the **** that has happened so far.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Lol wut? I saw him take at least one very dangerous shot from the slot area, that Bishop saved. So if they are giving him credit for zero shots, the stats person is sleeping on the job, and if you are here repeating the mistake, you werent watching very closely.
Yah he definitely had at least one shot.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
gotta love BoB Stauffer---

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 12h
...the Oilers have been far better 5-on-5 then last season. Need more saves, more finish and health...results will come...
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 12h
If the # Oilers lay down a stink bomb like they did vs. Detroit then crap on them if you want. But the fact is this is an improved team...

love the line

Need more saves, finish and health

I guess for Bob there are some stats that he not looking at, 10 pts in 17games, 24 goal differential in the bad way, 3 pts from dead last again, the high picks just are note stepping up their game and even healthy there is some giant holes on this team.

They are giving up too many shots and the game is won and lost via special teams

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Here's a breakdown of the first goal against. Those who think it was Hall's fault can see why it wasn't. Like I said in the GDT, Yak nonchalantly tries to take the pass with 1 hand, and it wasn't a suicide pass either. Killorn was actually not even facing Yak, like we see in that pic, until he started to fumble the puck.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/11/08/nick-kypreos-rips-nail-yakupov-he-just-basically-bailed/

yak-hit-e1383896807640.jpg

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Stauffer's been saying that the results will come for 10 games now. They still haven't come.

There really are no possible results that could salvage this season anyway.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
At this point in time with the franchise wins and losses and points are the only thing that matters.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Stauffer's been saying that the results will come for 10 games now. They still haven't come.

There really are no possible results that could salvage this season anyway.

Stauffer has completely bought into the advanced stats stuff. If you are getting a good amount of shots, you are suppose to win. The Oilers are special though since their shot quality is low compared to the shot quality of the opposition, and they don't seem to have anyone on the team who can finish a play off. No I don't have stats for that but I watch the games.

If the Oilers can somehow manage to stop the egregious turnovers and breakdowns then Stauffer might end up being correct, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
god damnit!!

I missed the game because i had to hang out with my stupid loved ones.

I need more info. Who sucked? Who is the useless puke we need to trade now? Which ahl player is ascending to god like status? Which former all-star made a Pejorative Slured drop pass or aggravated a nagging injury?

lol.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Here's a breakdown of the first goal against. Those who think it was Hall's fault can see why it wasn't. Like I said in the GDT, Yak nonchalantly tries to take the pass with 1 hand, and it wasn't a suicide pass either. Killorn was actually not even facing Yak, like we see in that pic, until he started to fumble the puck.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/11/08/nick-kypreos-rips-nail-yakupov-he-just-basically-bailed/

Thing is...Hall could have chose not to pass to a player with one hand on his stick.

Also...the pass they were trying to link was an "east<>west" pass. Even if Yak catches it clean...he still has to make some sort of play to clear the zone. Not impossible...but...I still think this team might have better success if/when they resist the urge to make the sexy/offensive play...which...in this particular sequence...might have been a play up the wall.

edit...

Not trying to exonerate Yak here. In fairness to Hall...he made an accurate pass & Yak was the one cutting up the middle of the zone.

Yak should be trying to curl all the way across the ice, catching the pass in closer proximity to Hall and then carrying it up the LW side of the rink with Hall following in support.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Except Killorn had no idea that such a stupid pass would've been attempted and adjusted for the sheer stupidity of it. That pic does not account for the fact Killorn AND Yak are both in motion towards each other, and it took about 1 second for him to be ready to take Yaks head off.

Yak is left in a VERY vulnerable position looking the wrong way, receiving the puck on his offhand. That.. is the very definition of a suicide pass.

Fumble aside, Yaks has no passing lanes outside of an ill-advised no-look drop pass in the slot or dumping it out. By the time he looked up, his instinct probably decided that he didn't want to have an 'Eric Lindros' type career.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Lol wut? I saw him take at least one very dangerous shot from the slot area, that Bishop saved. So if they are giving him credit for zero shots, the stats person is sleeping on the job, and if you are here repeating the mistake, you werent watching very closely.

Guess then, your attention to detail is foggy as well. I stated, I watched half the game and that is what the boxscore numbers indicated so go blame the stats guy.

Last edited:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Apparently a breakout pass that guys should be able to make and take in their sleep is now too much for this team (ie. yak) to handle and Hall should be chipping the puck down the boards instead. If you can't make a simple pass to Yak when there is no one within 30 feet of him and the guy is actually heading up ice, then what is he good for? This is a supposed NHL team and we can't make a breakout pass to a guy in the middle because there is a pretty good chance he will screw it completely up and it'll end up in our net.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
That looked like a pretty standard breakout pass to me. Not sure why everyone is upset with Hall.

Fair enough.

I'm really not trying to blame Hall.

I just feel the entire sequence is a microcosm of what were doing wrong all over the rink...

Which is...getting in a great big hurry to go speeding up the rink and score a goal.

Its like clockwork...everytime these guys see an open, skating guy...they go into "auto-pass" mode and nobody ever seems to see the big picture.

They need to slow the frick down and make decisions based on how all 5 guys can get up the rink as a unit. It doesn't always have to be the fastest skating guy and it doesn't even always have to go straight ahead.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That looked like a pretty standard breakout pass to me. Not sure why everyone is upset with Hall.

Passing to a player that needs to stick-handle through a maze of opposition standing at the defensive blue line is a standard breakout pass?

The better play would have been to chip it out. no?

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Passing to a player that needs to stick-handle through a maze of opposition standing at the defensive blue line is a standard breakout pass?

The better play would have been to chip it out. no?

No stick handling had to be done. If he took it properly he could have made an easy pass over to Fedun and then skated right by his checker for the give and go.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Fair enough.

I'm really not trying to blame Hall.

I just feel the entire sequence is a microcosm of what were doing wrong all over the rink...

Which is...getting in a great big hurry to go speeding up the rink and score a goal.

Its like clockwork...everytime these guys see an open, skating guy...they go into "auto-pass" mode and nobody ever seems to see the big picture.

They need to slow the frick down and make decisions based on how all 5 guys can get up the rink as a unit. It doesn't always have to be the fastest skating guy and it doesn't even always have to go straight ahead.

Totally agree. The teams breakouts are really really horrible so far. Take the Eberle turnover also. We have tons of time no forcheckers in the zone, well one floating at blueline, yet we have one forward in the zone to recieve the pass. Crazy.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Apparently a breakout pass that guys should be able to make and take in their sleep is now too much for this team (ie. yak) to handle and Hall should be chipping the puck down the boards instead. If you can't make a simple pass to Yak when there is no one within 30 feet of him and the guy is actually heading up ice, then what is he good for?

It looks like this on camera...but...at the speed Yakupov was moving...its NOT a low risk play.

When that puck goes into the middle of the rink in our D zone...at anytime...a huge amount of risk enters into the equation.

The rewards of making these types of plays can seem tempting...and to be fair...going up the wall isn't a garuntee zone exit either...but...its methodical, lower risk and with Stamkos on the ice...its the type of decision you need to at least be looking at.

Im not saying Hall was wrong as much as I am saying it was very predictable, given how this team plays the game so utterly wide open and goal hungry.

Lots of guys are guilty of it and we make turnovers each and every game because of it.

I keep saying...we need a commitment to taking care of possession & defence.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
No stick handling had to be done. If he took it properly he could have made an easy pass over to Fedun and then skated right by his checker for the give and go.

So a no-look pass into the slot.

Yak was looking at Hall, then immediately looked up towards Killorn.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005

The better play would have been to chip it out. no? QUOTE]

Yes.

A 100000000 times. Yes.

Especially because Hall is standing at the half wall...out of any range to defend or jump up in support...he should be prioritizing a basic clearing play...not a warp speed fast break attempt.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I thought the Oil played well last night. They were generating chances, hustling and not having near constant fire drills in their own end. It really sucks that every mistake the Oilers make seems to end up in the back of our net though.

Whatever.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Goalies of good teams always have to bail out their defensive team mistakes all the time. The difference between those teams (Kings, Blues, Bruins etc) is that their goalie makes the save and Dubnyk does not.

Dubnyk not only instills zero confidence in our defencemen, but he lets in bad goals at momentum changing times and can't make a save when we the defence makes makes a mistake.

Do you guys honestly think our defence is the only team that gives up the puck in bad areas? It's only highlighted because we're losing and because those giveaways end up in our net.

I do blame goaltending more than our defence right now.

All 3 of those shots, regardless of who shot it should be saved.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Goalies of good teams always have to bail out their defensive team mistakes all the time. The difference between those teams (Kings, Blues, Bruins etc) is that their goalie makes the save and Dubnyk does not.

Dubnyk not only instills zero confidence in our defencemen, but he lets in bad goals at momentum changing times and can't make a save when we the defence makes makes a mistake.

Do you guys honestly think our defence is the only team that gives up the puck in bad areas? It's only highlighted because we're losing and because those giveaways end up in our net.

I do blame goaltending more than our defence right now.

All 3 of those shots, regardless of who shot it should be saved.

Our defence can be fixed, our goaltending, well it is way it is. Not very good.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Passing it up the middle isn't a safe play for anybody, or the team in general, to make. Maybe its the type of play you get away with a lot in junior but its fundamentally one of the problems in our game at this level and is symbolic of how much "junk" as Eakins puts it still needs to be eliminated from our young NHL players games.

WE don't make the sound, safe breakout on that play, with Stamkos lurking on the ice, and we get scored against.

Do these players even adjust their play with the best goal scorer in the world on the ice. Apparently they don't. obviously they should.

I would be happy even if it was lesson learned. Unfortunately I know better by now this isn't the case.

We'll be seeing the same ill advised passes in vulnerable areas of ice again and again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad